"Smeary" and unresponsive Gameplay (high fps)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Ancharizz

"Smeary" and unresponsive Gameplay (high fps)

Post by Ancharizz » 21 Jun 2021, 16:45

Hello there,

I'm having this problem that my game (Overwatch) is feeling smeary and unresponsive after a while of playing.

I still have 155 fps (locked) in every situation though, so its not the framerate especially. My GPU (NVIDIA GTX 1060 3 GB, no its not the VRAM, already tried a different graphics card) is getting about 65- 73 degrees.

This shouldn't be a problem for the ingame performance, is it?

MY CPU is (AMD Ryzen 5 2600) is constantly on ~52 degrees. Could it be something else?

I tested and used different RAM, graphic cards, pretty much everything.

Like i said, in the beginning of playing, the game feels really smooth and fast, so I figured that it probably has something to do with heat.

Can someone help me?

Best regards,

Ancharizz

TN_fun

Re: "Smeary" and unresponsive Gameplay (high fps)

Post by TN_fun » 21 Jun 2021, 17:47

Same. I don't know if it's the servers or my connection. The game works as if the tickrate were low if this tickrate were frames. Everything is very stuttering, from the animation to the movement of other players. In fight, literally nothing is visible. I've tried playing at 144 and 200 fps (144hz).
Why am I talking about connections or servers and not a pc? When I watch the replay everything is very smooth there, everything is visible, everything is silk. And it doesn't seem to me. I deliberately stood afk for about 10 seconds and just twisted the camera - the tearing was buvally in 3 or 4 places, while I was standing still, just turning the mouse. The same thing happens in fight (and this is not a mouse, you can leave it alone, the screen still breaks) But when I watch the replay everything is very smooth, and the moment when I rotate the mouse there is only one break line. In fight, everything is also clearly visible.

And more. Sometimes the game starts to work well, but it's usually very late at night, 4-5 am.

vimar

Post by vimar » 24 Jun 2021, 01:58

Did you use Rivatuner / .. / .. to see the GPU Workload? Even if you capped, GPU Workload should be < 90% and CPU too. Mouse runs @ > 1000 hz? Did you check DPC in Latencymon? Is your USB Controller still running at core 0 ?

Ancharizz

Post by Ancharizz » 24 Jun 2021, 03:22

Hey,
yes, gpu is on about 40-50%, cpu on 40-50%.

mouse is on 1000Hz.

what is DPC and how can i check it?

How can i check usb controller?

regards

deama

Post by deama » 25 Jun 2021, 01:20

Try locking your GPU/CPU clocks so they don't fluctuate, e.g. lock CPU ghz to 3.5 or what works for your CPU.
And when you do benchmarks to test whether the clocks are stable, I'd recommend to leave them on over night, I've had situations where I thought my clocks were stable but playing a game for half an hour kept making it crash, but got fixed once I lowered my clocks a bit on my GPU.

empleat

Post by empleat » 17 Jul 2021, 12:30

Ancharizz wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 16:45
Like i said, in the beginning of playing, the game feels really smooth and fast, so I figured that it probably has something to do with heat.
Hmm Nvidia GPUs have thermal throttling usually from 79C, but some from like 69C? Also they start to throttle from 45C, if TDP maxes out!

Can you log using HWINFO ? It is portable and free, check sensors only at start, click green paper with + and save file, it will start logging, play awhile once issue happens, then save log and post it here.

Also you can try GPU trace, it is easy to do and post log to NVIDIA forums and check request answer from support: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... erformance

Since you said at start it is okay, it could be GPU issue. CPU temps are fine! Also does issue occur in other games too?

Also high fps don't mean low frame times! I would recommend you this utility from NVIDIA for that matter https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/te ... frameview/ Also use GPU scaling in NVIDIA panel -> adjust screen size or something and check box: override setting by games!

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 18 Jul 2021, 06:03

empleat wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 12:30
Also use GPU scaling in NVIDIA panel -> adjust screen size or something and check box: override setting by games!
GPU scaling will very often give you much more input lag than the display scaling. I would not recommend this on rtx below cards (all GTX - only display scaling)

empleat

Post by empleat » 18 Jul 2021, 09:22

TN_fun wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 06:03
empleat wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 12:30
Also use GPU scaling in NVIDIA panel -> adjust screen size or something and check box: override setting by games!
GPU scaling will very often give you much more input lag than the display scaling. I would not recommend this on rtx below cards (all GTX - only display scaling)
Yeah but... I was using display scaling, because I felt less input lag. But I actually had frame time drops in BF1 and when I turned on GPU scaling this game me +40 fps on average and near perfect frame times, previously there were huge spikes and only 85% frame times were <= average, it is benchmarking metric... I did 10ths of long tests using FrameView and when I turn that on/off - it consistently game me same results all time! Also I realized GPU scaling is much much more consistent, it is much easier to track target and to aim on that. Chief blur buster said, GPU scaling is incredibly fast nowdays and there should be less than 1ms of input lag using GPU scaling, even so I still feel more input lag with GPU scaling, but I chosen to use it, because of much much better consistency!!!

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 18 Jul 2021, 13:20

I don't know dude, maybe it depends on the equipment. It is very strange that in your case this affects the FPS, this should definitely not happen.

I use 1660 super and asus vg259q 144Hz, and the display scaling is instant, it is much better than the GPU and you can feel it. I also had other monitors. And I'm talking about native resolution, FHD. And yes, I use either "no scaling" or "full-screen". (the "aspect ratio" is bad anyway, even on the display)

By the way, even Benq-Zowie recommends putting a scaling on the display.
https://youtu.be/C4ylP_FlEnE

milojr21

Post by milojr21 » 18 Jul 2021, 13:24

i dont know, i find overwatch funky. i feel like reduced buffering OFF and nvidia reflex OFF feels the best.