Enemy Model laggs behind

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Simon95

Enemy Model laggs behind

Post by Simon95 » 05 Jul 2021, 07:18

This is insane. I died in a 1vs1 and i had the feeling that i had no chance to react to it. While the enemy model jumpedi already received 3 bullets. Meanwhile the enemy weapon was not even pointing at me. I had 30ms ping and the opponent too. Is it possible that clock drifting causes this issue?
Attachments
dice.png
dice.png (3.9 MiB) Viewed 3628 times

Simon95

Re: Enemy Model laggs behind

Post by Simon95 » 18 Jul 2021, 02:49

Maybe someone that knows how the network stuff in games works can respond. I have the feeling that i have the best experience at the start of a game. Then it get worse and worse.

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 18 Jul 2021, 05:03

what is you hardware?

JDoe

Post by JDoe » 18 Jul 2021, 11:07

Maybe cheats?

deama

Post by deama » 18 Jul 2021, 11:32

Not exactly sure the specifics on how this stuff works, but after doing a lot of testing to do with clocks and performance, it seems that continued high usage of hardware overtime causes worse performance eventually destabilizing the system in question (GPU, CPU, etc...), this is my guess due to you using the hardware at the unintended clock/performance specification for long periods of time, I think this is due to error correction getting worse and worse because more and more errors are popping up eventually it becomes unable to keep up accurately, thus resulting in either worse performance, weird behavior like lag, or even applications just outright crashing.

The fix for this seems to be restarting the computer, but that is just temporary, a more permanent fix seems to be just downclocking the hardware, sometimes a lot. So you can try to downclock your GPU by 100mhz, CPU by 100-200mhz, or memory by 400+mhz to see if that helps.
Another solution is reduction of dirty electricity, I'm still working on this, but so far pilling power conditioners ontop of each other seems to help.

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 19 Jul 2021, 02:42

I try to use lower clocks. Maybe this will help. In this case i had very high FPS with nearly 100% cpu usage.

slaver01

Post by slaver01 » 19 Jul 2021, 04:09

Simon95 wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 02:42
I try to use lower clocks. Maybe this will help. In this case i had very high FPS with nearly 100% cpu usage.
what cpu do you have?

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 19 Jul 2021, 04:36

I7 9700k

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Jul 2021, 05:29

Online games use interpolation for character movement. Otherwise, players would appear to jitter during movement. In a perfect connection with less than 1ms of latency, like you'd have in a LAN, the interpolated position and the real position would be virtually the same. But when the connection is over the internet, the interpolated player position can not match the real player position.

In CS:GO (and the other CS games) you can actually disable this interpolation through the source engine console commands. The result is not good. Server tickrate is 64, so that means you get the effect of 64 "player photographs" a second but without any animation in-between those 64 positions.

Then there's lag compensation. This interacts with movement interpolation in a way that results in what you have observed. How severe the effect is does not only depend on your ping, but also on the other player's ping and also on the server's processing speed (a server CPU hiccup will cause strangeness like that.)

This video is about CS:GO, but keep in mind that competitive online games in general have to implement very similar methods to allow play over high latency connections that doesn't feel like complete crap. (Where "high latency" means anything higher than 3 or 4ms):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EwaW2iz4iA
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 20 Jul 2021, 01:21

RealNC wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 05:29
Online games use interpolation for character movement. Otherwise, players would appear to jitter during movement. In a perfect connection with less than 1ms of latency, like you'd have in a LAN, the interpolated position and the real position would be virtually the same. But when the connection is over the internet, the interpolated player position can not match the real player position.

In CS:GO (and the other CS games) you can actually disable this interpolation through the source engine console commands. The result is not good. Server tickrate is 64, so that means you get the effect of 64 "player photographs" a second but without any animation in-between those 64 positions.

Then there's lag compensation. This interacts with movement interpolation in a way that results in what you have observed. How severe the effect is does not only depend on your ping, but also on the other player's ping and also on the server's processing speed (a server CPU hiccup will cause strangeness like that.)

This video is about CS:GO, but keep in mind that competitive online games in general have to implement very similar methods to allow play over high latency connections that doesn't feel like complete crap. (Where "high latency" means anything higher than 3 or 4ms):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EwaW2iz4iA
When i have alot of this situations, where i die weird like in the screenshot my hitreg is always bad too. I can even see it in the network statistic of BFV. 100 Client hits and only 90 server hits. And how is it possible that the damage from the player in the screenshot reach me way earlier than the player model.