Noticeable difference in input lag between HDMI @ 120hz and DP @ 144hz with LG UltraGear 24GL600F-B

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
mofis

Noticeable difference in input lag between HDMI @ 120hz and DP @ 144hz with LG UltraGear 24GL600F-B

Post by mofis » 19 Jul 2021, 14:31

Hello all,
Since the day I got my LG UltraGear 24GL600F-B I noticed that the HDMI 120hz feels much more responsive than the DP with 144hz. I have spent months using both, buying different cables, trying different mice, changing settings, etc... And there is no doubt in my mind that the HDMI gives extremely accurate and responsive input compared to the DP. I'm making this post because I saw someone else write this in a review of the monitor which sparked my memory of this on-going battle I have with my monitor. I started to do some research and I found a few posts either on a different forum (that referenced Blur Busters research) or posts on here that hinted that this is a real issue and can be caused by varying ports/a plethora of possibilities. I just wanted to confirm with the community to see if anyone else has ever heard of this with any monitor? It's driving me crazy and don't know if I should get a new monitor.

Ragerlis

Re: Noticeable difference in input lag between HDMI @ 120hz and DP @ 144hz with LG UltraGear 24GL600F-B

Post by Ragerlis » 19 Jul 2021, 18:02

mofis wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 14:31
Hello all,
Since the day I got my LG UltraGear 24GL600F-B I noticed that the HDMI 120hz feels much more responsive than the DP with 144hz. I have spent months using both, buying different cables, trying different mice, changing settings, etc... And there is no doubt in my mind that the HDMI gives extremely accurate and responsive input compared to the DP. I'm making this post because I saw someone else write this in a review of the monitor which sparked my memory of this on-going battle I have with my monitor. I started to do some research and I found a few posts either on a different forum (that referenced Blur Busters research) or posts on here that hinted that this is a real issue and can be caused by varying ports/a plethora of possibilities. I just wanted to confirm with the community to see if anyone else has ever heard of this with any monitor? It's driving me crazy and don't know if I should get a new monitor.
You are not crazy, cables are important and can do that kind of situations, i have here, next to me a hdmi cable, the cable itself is fine at first glance, all frequency range and video without problems, but have HUGE input lag for whatever reason, its just falty, its so big i can see at any reflex test, the cable itself give me results in the range of 300+500ms, while any other cable, hdmi or displayport gives the usual range of 130~160ms.

And i can reproduce in any of my 3 monitors the results(benq2430t 144hz/acer 240hz/random samsung).

And about your case, can be the cables, but can be the monitor itself and can be the videocard, but usually the cables are the first suspect, the bad news is your monitor can output 144hz at DP 1.2 only, so you are kind of stuck with that at this refresh ratio. :(

deama

Re: Noticeable difference in input lag between HDMI @ 120hz and DP @ 144hz with LG UltraGear 24GL600F-B

Post by deama » 19 Jul 2021, 20:49

Maybe you're particular HDMI cable has better shielding/quality than the DP one, I had a similar situation where my DP cable was better than my HDMI cable, until I bought a £40 HDMI cable, then the HDMI cable became better lol.

Bobo

Post by Bobo » 20 Jul 2021, 00:46

might be due to the fact that gsync is disabled on a driver level when you use hdmi.

empleat

Post by empleat » 21 Jul 2021, 16:06

I Am understanding this correctly that you are comparing 120hz to 144hz? Why not try same refresh rate? And yes cables play discernible role in input lag. I use certified DP nowadays (because G-Sync), previously used DVI, DP better than HDMI. DP should be best overall. Also don't forget to disable DCI in monitor OSD (unless you need that for something) and overdrive! And use GPU scaling in NVCP, check -> do no nothing and check -> override setting by applications...

jerofino

Post by jerofino » 23 Jul 2021, 10:14

empleat wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 16:06
I Am understanding this correctly that you are comparing 120hz to 144hz? Why not try same refresh rate? And yes cables play discernible role in input lag. I use certified DP nowadays (because G-Sync), previously used DVI, DP better than HDMI. DP should be best overall. Also don't forget to disable DCI in monitor OSD (unless you need that for something) and overdrive! And use GPU scaling in NVCP, check -> do no nothing and check -> override setting by applications...
Do you mean disable overdrive for troubleshooting input lag or it is better to play without overdrive? I mean for games like csgo.

empleat

Post by empleat » 24 Jul 2021, 14:53

jerofino wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 10:14
empleat wrote:
Do you mean disable overdrive for troubleshooting input lag or it is better to play without overdrive? I mean for games like csgo.
Overdrive causes ghosting usually, but it shouldn't add input lag, it could reduce it actually, because pixels change faster. Unless it is broken on your monitor and causing ghosting, or visual artefacts you can use it I guess. But it is usually causing ghosting!

mofis

Post by mofis » 26 Jul 2021, 23:08

empleat wrote:
Sorry for the late response. I ended up trying the same refresh rate but I have since bought a quality DP and lost the HDMI I was using before so I am not entirely sure which one is better anymore. However, I was aware that Display scaling was better and after testing between GPU and Display scaling for HOURS I couldn’t tell which one was better. GPU usually felt more reactive but Display, for some reason, felt easier to control. And should I set overdrive to off or fast/I noticed fast seems to feel better. What about MBR as well?
Thanks for the help.

mofis

Post by mofis » 26 Jul 2021, 23:10

Bobo wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 00:46
might be due to the fact that gsync is disabled on a driver level when you use hdmi.
I thought it was best to turn gsync off when playing FPS games like CSGO. Is this wrong?

empleat

Post by empleat » 27 Jul 2021, 12:34

mofis wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 23:10
Bobo wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 00:46
I thought it was best to turn gsync off when playing FPS games like CSGO. Is this wrong?
Yeah that's correct, G-Sync introduces slight input lag. Because e.g. if FPS drop, it will wait awhile, instead swapping buffer right away, or something. For lowest input lag no G-Sync! I would definitely turn that off in competitive games, as you can tell the difference! Although on G-Sync compatible monitors, input lag is lowest with G-Sync on for some reason. Someone tested this on 1000fps, I had same experience. It feels better with capped FPS under refresh rate! And I have decent G-Sync compatible monitor.