FPS drop/microstutter debugging after replacing 95% of the PC and multiple re-installs

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Eonds

Re: FPS drop/microstutter debugging after replacing 95% of the PC and multiple re-installs

Post by Eonds » 15 Sep 2021, 03:41

deama wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 00:51
If you have friends, you can try setting up your computer over at their place for a few days to a week and see if that helps, to see if it's an EMI/EMF issue.
Still not a 100% good way imo. It's worse in some areas. I live close to 4G / 5g towers + transformers & many satellite dishes, and other sources of interference. My PC is constantly stuttering and during the night around 4-5am it's very smooth.

1000WATT

Re: FPS drop/microstutter debugging after replacing 95% of the PC and multiple re-installs

Post by 1000WATT » 15 Sep 2021, 05:46

wittycoder wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 13:29
This issue started with a mostly different computer build, 3900x, x470 Asus Strix mobo, 3080 (tried MSI and EVGA), 16gb GSkill 3600, 850 Seasonic PSU.
wittycoder wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 16:33
My old PC was X5650 Xeon with 1080TI and didn't have this anywhere near this frequency of an issue,
wittycoder wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 22:17
Slender wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 16:58
> im lag
> hi end pc
> amd...
lol?
Super helpful Intel fanboi! Probably just dreaming of the day's Intel had better CPUs and held the bench records.
Eonds wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 23:30
Don't use ryzen CPU's if you want low latency & general smoothness,
Let's try it differently.
Internet provider amd offers 1000 mbps speed, ip TV, telephony, for 20 devices in your home. All this for $ 100 top solution..
The intel internet provider offers 500 mbps speed, ip TV, telephony, for 10 devices in your home. All this for $ 100 top solution..
Any sane person would choose the amd provider.
Because no one will ever tell you about ping in an advertisement. When using a channel of 5 mbps.
From your own experience you will see
amd 5 mbps - 60ping
intel 5 mbps - 30ping

amd 700 mbps - 70ping ip television works smoothly
intel 700 mbps - 300ping ip television does not work at all.

Both providers are good but for different purposes.
In this comparison. ping is a program call to the disk subsystem, sending to RAM, cpu and sending to vram.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 15 Sep 2021, 06:47

1000WATT wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 05:46
wittycoder wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 13:29
This issue started with a mostly different computer build, 3900x, x470 Asus Strix mobo, 3080 (tried MSI and EVGA), 16gb GSkill 3600, 850 Seasonic PSU.
wittycoder wrote:
03 Sep 2021, 16:33
My old PC was X5650 Xeon with 1080TI and didn't have this anywhere near this frequency of an issue,
wittycoder wrote:
Slender wrote:
> im lag
> hi end pc
> amd...
lol?
Super helpful Intel fanboi! Probably just dreaming of the day's Intel had better CPUs and held the bench records.
Eonds wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 23:30
Don't use ryzen CPU's if you want low latency & general smoothness,
Let's try it differently.
Internet provider amd offers 1000 mbps speed, ip TV, telephony, for 20 devices in your home. All this for $ 100 top solution..
The intel internet provider offers 500 mbps speed, ip TV, telephony, for 10 devices in your home. All this for $ 100 top solution..
Any sane person would choose the amd provider.
Because no one will ever tell you about ping in an advertisement. When using a channel of 5 mbps.
From your own experience you will see
amd 5 mbps - 60ping
intel 5 mbps - 30ping

amd 700 mbps - 70ping ip television works smoothly
intel 700 mbps - 300ping ip television does not work at all.

Both providers are good but for different purposes.
In this comparison. ping is a program call to the disk subsystem, sending to RAM, cpu and sending to vram.

Listen none of that made sense in English. A hieroglyph is much easier to decipher than what you just wrote (no offense). I don't mean to be rude but I laughed reading that out loud. The fact of the matter is intel as of 9/15/2021 has lower latency than AMD CPU's. AMD shouldn't be used in cases where latency is important. Other than that, go for it. I'm imagining the speed reference was about ryzen having more cores than intel at the same price. The thing is you can slap 50 cores on something and reduce costs by using certain techniques to implement more cores like AMD but you'll end up hurting latency.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 15 Sep 2021, 07:16

laughing prolongs life ;)
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 15 Sep 2021, 08:24

wittycoder wrote:
Slender wrote:
> im lag
> hi end pc
> amd...
lol?
Any hyperbole of the previous commenter aside, this does bring to mind something I had originally failed to mention; when directly compared to their equivalent, same-gen gaming-level AMD CPUs, Intel CPUs have historically been tested by reviewers to be measurably better where minimum framerate consistency is concerned, which can translate to better overall frametime performance and less frametime spikes in some like-for-like cases.

The relationship between the DRAM and CPU on the AMD platform is also closer/more complex than on the Intel platform, where DRAM timings and stability can tend to have more of a direct effect on AMD CPU performance/scaling.

That said, you had mentioned your older AMD builds weren't having the frametime spike severity your new build is, so the above info is perhaps neither here nor there in that respect. Just another "good-to-know."
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

wittycoder

Post by wittycoder » 23 Nov 2021, 14:59

Been away for a while, but I have been trying stuff off and on for the last few weeks. I still have the same results. I was able to reproduce the stuttering using Furmark so I have a tool in addition to MSFS 2020 which I was using to reproduce. I also noticed in Furmark that the GPU clocks were low while VRM And mem interconnect are high temps (~95-100 C) and GPU hotspot temp is 20 C higher. Next step is to re-pad and re-paste the GPU.

Updated actions:

Turned off all controllable RGB (memory is Crucial and their MOD app crashes so I can't turn it off)

Fixed memory timings, voltage, all hard-coded
Coupled clocks for IF and Mem
Fixed all CPU clocks/timing/voltage

Disable Dynamic Ticking:
To disable Dynamic Ticking, run the command bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
To enable Dynamic Ticking, run the command bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no

Temporarily disable Firewall
Disable Internet Protocol version 6

Jetsetter84

Post by Jetsetter84 » 30 Nov 2021, 06:13

I'm afraid after 8 years of gaming on PC, the only way to eliminate stutter is, if possible, to play the game on console. I currently run a 10700K/3080. No amount of horsepower can solve stuttering on a PC. There are games which stutter and games which do not. I find it boils down to the talent of the developers. Codemasters, for example, or Bethesda with Doom/Doom Eternal, although Wolfenstein : Youngblood does have minor stutters occasionally, generally make incredible games which do not or very rarely stutter unless there is a problem with your hardware or software. Formula One, the Dirt series, Grid series, all smooth as butter. Other games may have a minor stutter here and there. Windows is also terrible for gaming, especially since XP, as DWM, todays equivalent of Aero, does not play nice with many titles and can not be turned off. Sometimes running a game at a fixed refresh rate of 60hz with vsync on, over HDMI, NOT Display Port can solve stutters. For some reason display port is more prone to stutters. That can be tried as a last resort. If it does not work, the only way to be able to play games which do not stutter is to have a console and a PC. It is all down to a lack of talent and/or effort on the developers side to optimise a game for the way a PC accesses data and sometimes due to the anti-piracy software a game uses. Try the game on PC first, without buying it, yes, I said it. We should be able to demo something before wasting our money on crappy ports. If it stutters but is available on console, buy and enjoy it there instead. If it does not, buy and enjoy it on PC. I wish you all the best and I wish there was a solution, but laziness and lack of talent is what it all boils down to I'm afraid.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Nov 2021, 10:21

For VSYNC ON, no difference in stutter between DisplayPort (GSYNC OFF) and HDMI (GSYNC OFF). Make sure settings are perfectly identical, and do not use both ports at the same time (multimonitor stutter — created a red herring distraction/assumption).

But I’ve seen bad DisplayPort cables give a bit of stutter (error correction) when it comes to displays that don’t black out from dropped refresh cycles. Try upgrading your cable, the one included with monitors are crap. Test www.testufo.com/frameskipping

For lowest stutter in biggest number of games, I use VRR, capped a few fps below max Hz. With the opposite sync settings technique (VSYNC ON in NVCP but VSYNC OFF in game). And I only use fast M.2 SSD (Samsung Pro’s) to minimize diskload stutter, plus 32 GB RAM to help the 0.1% frametimes from reducing asset reloads from disk. And mouse at 2000-4000Hz. A lot of solo games play beautifully smoothly if you avoid maximum settings.

Also, have you tried VR games? They framepace beautifully, with zero stutters most of the time.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Teofrast

Post by Teofrast » 30 Nov 2021, 11:22

Phanteks P400A user here. The games cut/stutter me at 1440p quite regularly and at 1080p here and there according to the game. I exchanged what I could.. a long list. Before I came across advice on disconnecting the front ports that lead to the case (USB in my case). And since then, after two years of searching, everything goes smoothly.. 🙈

EDIT:
I see. Only now have I seen that the front ports have been disconnected. In that case, I would still be inclined to “change the memory”, turn off the "XMP" profile..

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 02 Dec 2021, 08:53

wittycoder wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 14:59
Been away for a while, but I have been trying stuff off and on for the last few weeks. I still have the same results. I was able to reproduce the stuttering using Furmark so I have a tool in addition to MSFS 2020 which I was using to reproduce. I also noticed in Furmark that the GPU clocks were low while VRM And mem interconnect are high temps (~95-100 C) and GPU hotspot temp is 20 C higher. Next step is to re-pad and re-paste the GPU.

Updated actions:

Turned off all controllable RGB (memory is Crucial and their MOD app crashes so I can't turn it off)

Fixed memory timings, voltage, all hard-coded
Coupled clocks for IF and Mem
Fixed all CPU clocks/timing/voltage

Disable Dynamic Ticking:
To disable Dynamic Ticking, run the command bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
To enable Dynamic Ticking, run the command bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no

Temporarily disable Firewall
Disable Internet Protocol version 6
Hello! How did it go after repasting? I don't know why but while I was reading i felt like it was something wrong with your gpu or the pcie connector on your motherboard. the only times i've experienced hitching as bad as that was when my gpu was going extremely hot or when my riser cable had a problem with it.
If repasting did not help, try to plug your graphics card into your son's PC, hopefully his motherboard does not support pcie gen 4, or even it if it does, it wouldn't hurt to try. I'm not sure if there's a way that you can run your motherboard at gen3 or 2 instead, just to test and see if it helps. Mine is located under PEG port something.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini