INPUT LAG - BenQ GL2480 - 24" - 9H.LHXLB.QBE

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
etobej

INPUT LAG - BenQ GL2480 - 24" - 9H.LHXLB.QBE

Post by etobej » 06 Sep 2021, 00:28

does anyone know by accident roughly the input lag of this monitor?

I was last year at a friends home on lan and I played with my pc and used this monitor he gave me. My regular monitor is an asus vg248qe 144hz. And something while playing on his monitor felt terrible strange, but I wasnt to sure what it was. But honestly my first thougt was that it could be input lag, I never felt something like this before. And now while getting more into the whole monitor topic, I remembered this event. Would be very glad if somebody could confirm my theory or give me a hint what else the reason could have been. I played with 75hz , csgo.
When he offered me to use his monitor, I was glad that I hadn´t to transport mine. I know that 75hz is different than 144hz but I remembered that in cs1.6 at some pro events, must have been around ~2008, that the team´s had to use sometimes 75hz LCD´s. My assumtion was, that a 10year newer Monitor with 1ms g2g would be just fine to play with for some days, when the pro´s also could do so back in 2008.
I tried to find something about this´s monitor input lag through google but wasnt succesful.

FPSMaster

Re: INPUT LAG - BenQ GL2480 - 24" - 9H.LHXLB.QBE

Post by FPSMaster » 11 Sep 2021, 18:15

The VG248QE has 5ms input lag on 144hz and 10ms on 60hz. Most 75hz panels have around 7-9ms Input Lag. Only a couple 75hz monitors have more input lag. So the benq should have around 3-4ms more input lag, then on your asus VG248QE. Most likely, you won't notice that.

But... you are playing 75hz on the Benq. The frame time is 13.33ms for 75FPS/75HZ! That means, it takes 13.33ms between each frame, until one get displayed.
So, theoretically it will take at least 13.333ms until your mouse movement get displayed, and the first frames starts. Of course you have your system latency too, and display lag etc. Most PCs with decent specs have around 20-40ms system lag.
So let's say your PC has 20ms system latency. Then you get additional 9ms Display lag from your benq and 13.33ms frame time lag from the FPS/HZ.
That's roughly 42 ms total input lag.

While on 144hz/144fps your frame time is only 7ms and display lag only 5ms!
Again, lets say your PC has 20ms input lag, then your Monitors displays lag is 5ms and your frame times are 7ms.
That's only 32ms of input lag!

So my guess it's a combination of worse Frametimes/Display lag on the benq which gave you that strange feeling!