AMD Freesync and Nvidia GPU Input Lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
FPSMaster

Re: AMD Freesync and Nvidia GPU Input Lag

Post by FPSMaster » 17 Sep 2021, 14:15

jorimt wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 20:51
FPSMaster wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 16:22
Anyways, I gonna buy the "Asus VG248QE". It's a TN panel. It has true 3ms response time and almost no blur. It has 5ms input lag on 144hz and 10ms on 60hz. No VRR. I wouldn't use VRR Anyways even if I would have a AMD GPU.
I'm gonna let you know if it feels better on that one.
Sure thing, good luck.
I got the new Monitor today. The Asus VG248QE (no vrr, 144hz, TN, 10ms input lag on 60hz/4,7ms on 144hz) and it feels better then all other monitors. I instantly felt a big reduction in put lag. It's even better then my office monitor I played on before, which gave me most responsive feeling on 60hz then the other 3 freesync monitors. The asus vg248qe is the Dominator now of all monitors I got. And I didn't even use 100-144hz yet!
I play fps games, where input lag matters alot, and I'm 100% sure it's better now. I made like 3 team wipes today in Apex Legends. I see big improvements in tracking and flick shotting.

This got me wondering what caused these issues. I still couldnt find anyone with the same problem I got before because this is hard to discover.

Anyways, finally I have a better monitor now, and I'm happy with it. :)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 17 Sep 2021, 22:20

FPSMaster wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 14:15
Good to hear you found a model that worked for you ;)
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

ZetaAlo

Post by ZetaAlo » 10 Jan 2022, 21:52

FPSMaster wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 14:15
jorimt wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 20:51
FPSMaster wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 16:22
Anyways, I gonna buy the "Asus VG248QE". It's a TN panel. It has true 3ms response time and almost no blur. It has 5ms input lag on 144hz and 10ms on 60hz. No VRR. I wouldn't use VRR Anyways even if I would have a AMD GPU.
I'm gonna let you know if it feels better on that one.
Sure thing, good luck.
I got the new Monitor today. The Asus VG248QE (no vrr, 144hz, TN, 10ms input lag on 60hz/4,7ms on 144hz) and it feels better then all other monitors. I instantly felt a big reduction in put lag. It's even better then my office monitor I played on before, which gave me most responsive feeling on 60hz then the other 3 freesync monitors. The asus vg248qe is the Dominator now of all monitors I got. And I didn't even use 100-144hz yet!
I play fps games, where input lag matters alot, and I'm 100% sure it's better now. I made like 3 team wipes today in Apex Legends. I see big improvements in tracking and flick shotting.

This got me wondering what caused these issues. I still couldnt find anyone with the same problem I got before because this is hard to discover.

Interesting, your issues are almost the exact same as mine. I have a free sync monitor and I've been dealing with inconsistent input lag on and off. I have a 2080ti. Recently I've narrowed down the lag being most apparent in applications with Hardware acceleration or When my mouse moves over Links/Clickable icons etc. I can literally feel the sensitivity change. It makes browsing feel disgusting and playing games, especially with the cursor, even worse.

I googled my issue (mouse lag over Clickable links/pictures etc) and alot of threads were coming up about this issue being resolved by turning off G Sync and using fixed refresh I'm control panel, in my case it did not help at all...the strange thing is, when I turn free sync off on my actual monitor, my mouse in general feels disgusting and much slower, when I turn it on the overall feel is better but I still get incredibly inconsistent input lag over Clickable links/hardware accelerated programs etc.

I just came to the exact same conclusion as you. Which is how I found this thread. There has to be some incompatibility between Free Sync monitors and Nvidia GPUs especially and VRR technology in general seems to be dicy.

Glad you didn't listen to the God Complex clown in this thread spouting "Free sync monitors are 100% software based, THEY ACTUALLY HAVE LESS INPUT LAG WITH VRR TECH. THERE'S NO INCOMPATIBILITY BETWEEN THEM AND NVIDIA WAHH WAHH BLAH BLAH BLAH".

Humans are fallible and so are their creations, as we can clearly see here. I've had the issue for about 2 years, around the same time I got this new monitor. Never really fully put two and two together until now and kind of blew it off. I'm like "no way, it says it's compatible with G sync, no way it's the cause of my lag" I'm 100% positive this is the issue and there is some weird incompatibility/bug

I'll be buying either a G Sync monitor or A monitor without VRR Which is almost impossible to find. There trying to force it down everyone's throats.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 10 Jan 2022, 23:30

ZetaAlo wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 21:52
Glad you didn't listen to the God Complex clown in this thread spouting "Free sync monitors are 100% software based, THEY ACTUALLY HAVE LESS INPUT LAG WITH VRR TECH. THERE'S NO INCOMPATIBILITY BETWEEN THEM AND NVIDIA WAHH WAHH BLAH BLAH BLAH".
This "God Complex clown" is a former Blur Busters writer and current forum moderator, and what you claimed I said wasn't what I did in the least. Not sure what you read.

FreeSync monitors don't have less processing latency because they're software based (?), they typically have less processing latency than non-VRR monitors because they MUST have near instantaneous scanout operation for VRR to work in real-time properly. Simple as that.

Before the advent of VRR, it wasn't unheard of for the average gaming monitor to have 10ms+ of display processing latency, and now, due in part to VRR, they usually have anywhere from 0.5ms to 5ms.

Whether there is any "compatibility" issues with FreeSync and Nvidia on G-SYNC Compatible displays is down to the individual model and their particular specs and firmware implementation (and sometimes even certain driver releases), which can potentially cause a variety of issues, a reason why I personally recommend hardware G-SYNC if you want the most reliable VRR, and even then it's not perfect (nothing is).

But that wasn't even the OP's issue. His issue was he said he felt more input lag on an Nvidia GPU that didn't even support G-SYNC Compatible, with a G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync monitor that didn't have VRR active, at which point I said it shouldn't have more input lag in that case, but if it did, I'd have to help troubleshoot it in person, which I can't, so good luck in finding a monitor that works for him.

When he did, I congratulated him, so I don't see the issue here...

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

ZetaAlo

Post by ZetaAlo » 11 Jan 2022, 00:00

jorimt wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 23:30
ZetaAlo wrote:
This "God Complex clown" is a former Blur Busters writer and current forum moderator, and what you claimed I said wasn't what I did in the least. Not sure what you read.

FreeSync monitors don't have less processing latency because they're software based (?), they typically have less processing latency than non-VRR monitors because they MUST have near instantaneous scanout operation for VRR to work in real-time properly. Simple as that.

Before the advent of VRR, it wasn't unheard of for the average gaming monitor to have 10ms+ of display processing latency, and now, due in part to VRR, they usually have anywhere from 0.5ms to 5ms.

Whether there is any "compatibility" issues with FreeSync and Nvidia on G-SYNC Compatible displays is down to the individual model and their particular specs and firmware implementation (and sometimes even certain driver releases), which can potentially cause a variety of issues, a reason why I personally recommend hardware G-SYNC if you want the most reliable VRR, and even then it's not perfect (nothing is).

But that wasn't even the OP's issue. His issue was he said he felt more input lag on an Nvidia GPU that didn't even support G-SYNC Compatible, with a G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync monitor that didn't have VRR active, at which point I said it shouldn't have more input lag in that case, but if it did, I'd have to help troubleshoot it in person, which I can't, so good luck in finding a monitor that works for him.

Just seemed like you were being condescending and writing him off, acting like Nvidia and other major corps can do no harm.

There's 100% some weird compatibility issue between some Freesync monitors and Nvidia. Kind of weird therir top engineers haven't noticed this, or maybe they have and they have some alterior motive for not fixing it. I'm finding more forum posts of the same issue.

Can't even find a monitor without VRR Tech. Absolutely disgusting.

ZetaAlo

Post by ZetaAlo » 11 Jan 2022, 00:02

jorimt wrote:
ZetaAlo wrote:

Only difference between us is my GPU apparently "supports g sync" on these FreeSync monitors, but I'm having the exact same issues as him, with FreeSync Enabled or disabled on my monitor.

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 11 Jan 2022, 05:39

ZetaAlo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 00:02
jorimt wrote:
ZetaAlo wrote:

Only difference between us is my GPU apparently "supports g sync" on these FreeSync monitors, but I'm having the exact same issues as him, with FreeSync Enabled or disabled on my monitor.
In my case, I had a GPU which doesn't even support VRR. So that "may" cause problems between the communication of the monitor and GPU. I'm still pretty sure that was the problem before, and I still have my Asus VG248QE, which has no VRR. It's literally the best TN 144hz Monitor you can get. But people don't buy it nowadays, because it doesn't support VRR...
It has minimal motion blur, very good response times. 10ms input lag on 60hz and 4,7ms on 144hz, like 99% of all other 144hz monitors. The colors are very good for a TN panel. On the testing website called "RTings.com" you can see, it's the best 144hz TN panel you can get, aside of VRR incompatibility.
Aside of that, you can look for a "cheap" GSync Monitor, do you are 100% sure AMD Freesync doesn't slow down your performance. For example the "Acer Predator XB241H". It's a true GSync Monitor. It's even overclockable!!! You can get that beast for 350€ or used for 150€, which is insane.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 11 Jan 2022, 09:31

ZetaAlo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 00:00
Just seemed like you were being condescending and writing him off, acting like Nvidia and other major corps can do no harm.
I have no reason to shill for Nvidia. I don't get paid for any of this. I voluntarily post here and in the comments section of my article in my spare time.
ZetaAlo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 00:00
There's 100% some weird compatibility issue between some Freesync monitors and Nvidia. Kind of weird therir top engineers haven't noticed this, or maybe they have and they have some alterior motive for not fixing it. I'm finding more forum posts of the same issue.
G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync monitors aren't from Nvidia.

Said monitors use normal FreeSync-capable panels without G-SYNC modules, and are released independently by individual manufacturers, hence the reason quality control is all over the place; some models are fully adequate, some are borderline broken and require CRU modifications to prevent VRR range issues, frame skipping (with or without VRR), and so on.

The models that are official "G-SYNC Compatible," are merely those that have been tested by Nvidia for base VRR functionality (a max refresh rate that allows LFC support, no flicker or blackout, etc).

The only thing Nvidia is responsible for where "official" G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync displays are concerned is driver support, so if any of the models have firmware problems that cause such issues, Nvidia couldn't fix them if they wanted to.

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 11 Jan 2022, 13:49

It could be related to your pc, electricity or something else, why are you so sure its your monitor

ZetaAlo

Post by ZetaAlo » 11 Jan 2022, 14:38

FPSMaster wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 05:39
ZetaAlo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 00:02
jorimt wrote:
ZetaAlo wrote:

In my case, I had a GPU which doesn't even support VRR. So that "may" cause problems between the communication of the monitor and GPU. I'm still pretty sure that was the problem before, and I still have my Asus VG248QE, which has no VRR. It's literally the best TN 144hz Monitor you can get. But people don't buy it nowadays, because it doesn't support VRR...
It has minimal motion blur, very good response times. 10ms input lag on 60hz and 4,7ms on 144hz, like 99% of all other 144hz monitors. The colors are very good for a TN panel. On the testing website called "RTings.com" you can see, it's the best 144hz TN panel you can get, aside of VRR incompatibility.
Aside of that, you can look for a "cheap" GSync Monitor, do you are 100% sure AMD Freesync doesn't slow down your performance. For example the "Acer Predator XB241H". It's a true GSync Monitor. It's even overclockable!!! You can get that beast for 350€ or used for 150€, which is insane.
Yeah I understood that, but my issues are very similar to yours, my monitor didn't even Originally support Free Sync and it was added with a firmware update much later, so even the FreeSync portion is still somewhat iffy, which compounded with the fact there maybe some incompatibility between Nvidia And Certain Free Sync monitors (my monitor SR75 isn't even listed on compatible G sync Monitor on the Nvidia website, even though The monitor is listed as G Sync compatible Elsewhere) means it's most definitely the issue.

As I said, Strangely, Turning on Free Sync in my monitor OSD, reduces the overall input lag of my monitor/mouse significantly overall, but it doesn't fix the inconsistencies and drops in "sensitivity" whenever I hover over certain clickable UI Elements or Have Hardware Acceleration in some program, my mouse feels like it has V Sync or The HZ of the mouse are dropping in that moment.

I'll just have to settle for a G Sync Module display. I can't find ANY 144Hz, 27 inch, 1440P monitors with decent Contrast,Color accuracy etc not completely monopolized by NVidia or AMD. Sad state we're in.