AMD Freesync and Nvidia GPU Input Lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ZetaAlo

Re: AMD Freesync and Nvidia GPU Input Lag

Post by ZetaAlo » 11 Jan 2022, 14:46

jorimt wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 09:31
ZetaAlo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 00:00
Just seemed like you were being condescending and writing him off, acting like Nvidia and other major corps can do no harm.
I have no reason to shill for Nvidia. I don't get paid for any of this. I voluntarily post here and in the comments section of my article in my spare time.
ZetaAlo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 00:00
There's 100% some weird compatibility issue between some Freesync monitors and Nvidia. Kind of weird therir top engineers haven't noticed this, or maybe they have and they have some alterior motive for not fixing it. I'm finding more forum posts of the same issue.
G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync monitors aren't from Nvidia.

Said monitors use normal FreeSync-capable panels without G-SYNC modules, and are released independently by individual manufacturers, hence the reason quality control is all over the place; some models are fully adequate, some are borderline broken and require CRU modifications to prevent VRR range issues, frame skipping (with or without VRR), and so on.

The models that are official "G-SYNC Compatible," are merely those that have been tested by Nvidia for base VRR functionality (a max refresh rate that allows LFC support, no flicker or blackout, etc).

The only thing Nvidia is responsible for where "official" G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync displays are concerned is driver support, so if any of the models have firmware problems that cause such issues, Nvidia couldn't fix them if they wanted to.
Makes sense, what would you assume the reason would be that Hovering over certain Graphical elements or having hardware acceleration working would cause a distinct drop and lagginess in my mouse. I can literally feel my mouse sensitivity drop over Clickable graphical UI elements. Like it's a frame Cap/V Sync activated only in the border of the element. Even in Strategy Games etc with clickable UI parts.

I am 100% sure it's Monitor/GPU related based on my research, but how could simple "incompatibility" cause such a specific off the wall issue. I'd expect a more broad or obvious type of error.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 11 Jan 2022, 15:06

ZetaAlo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 14:38
As I said, Strangely, Turning on Free Sync in my monitor OSD, reduces the overall input lag of my monitor/mouse significantly overall, but it doesn't fix the inconsistencies and drops in "sensitivity" whenever I hover over certain clickable UI Elements or Have Hardware Acceleration in some program, my mouse feels like it has V Sync or The HZ of the mouse are dropping in that moment.
Not saying the following is your issue, but to rule it out, have you checked if your monitor is frame skipping?
https://testufo.com/frameskipping

Because that can sometimes be fixed with custom timings via CRU.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 11 Jan 2022, 16:36

ZetaAlo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 14:46
what would you assume the reason would be that Hovering over certain Graphical elements or having hardware acceleration working would cause a distinct drop and lagginess in my mouse. I can literally feel my mouse sensitivity drop over Clickable graphical UI elements. Like it's a frame Cap/V Sync activated only in the border of the element. Even in Strategy Games etc with clickable UI parts.

I am 100% sure it's Monitor/GPU related based on my research, but how could simple "incompatibility" cause such a specific off the wall issue. I'd expect a more broad or obvious type of error.
I must have missed this post when I wrote my previous comment (it still may be a good idea to check whether you're monitor is frame skipping though)...

All I know about your system from this thread is you have a 2080 Ti and a SR75 (I'm guessing not the 32" model, which is only 60Hz, so it's the 144Hhz version, right?).

You reporting less input lag with the Freesync option active in the monitor OSD is possible, since again, VRR operation requires less display processing to work properly. But VRR behavior should not be active on you're 2080 Ti until you have both the FreeSync option in the monitor OSD and the G-SYNC option in the NVCP turned on.

But then you say that you're getting this inconsistency with either the FreeSync option in the OSD on or off, right? And did this happened before the FreeSync firmware update on your monitor, or did yours come with that version out of the box?

Because the closest thing I can think to what you're describing is what happens when you have borderless/windowed G-SYNC mode active in the NVCP and you are running an unsupported app or have the game window unfocused, which literally lowers the active refresh rate of the monitor to the teens, making the mouse feel and look like complete crap, but that would only apply if the mode was active.

That, or something like frame skipping. Those are the two most obvious off-the-top-of-my-head.

But look, sometimes unless the issue you're experiencing is really common, asking strangers to help you troubleshoot an abstract problem blindly, solely through text via your own perspective, is like asking a surgeon to walk you through performing your own heart transplant over the phone.

For instance, I was following a Guru3D thread recently, and this guy swore up and down to everyone that his GTX 1080 was being shown as a RTX 2080 in the device manager, even after a complete SSD formatting and reinstalling Windows. This went on for more than two pages until he finally sent a picture of his card, and someone spotted that it said "RTX," not "GTX." He had mistaken his 2080 for a 1080 (it was stock, so there was no obvious naming on it, and he was switching it out with another card temporarily).

I'm not saying you do or don't have an issue, I'm saying from what you're describing, good luck 1) conveying it adequately enough to prove and identify it, and 2) finding a solution that sticks, or 3) in the off chance it doesn't end up being anything fixable, being willing to move on.

A lot of people have been spamming the forums with ghost-like "lag" issues this past year or so, claiming a multitude of causes, and most of those threads usually end in one of three ways; placebo fixes, arguments, bans, or a mix of all.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

ZetaAlo

Post by ZetaAlo » 11 Jan 2022, 17:26

jorimt wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 16:36
ZetaAlo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 14:46
what would you assume the reason would be that Hovering over certain Graphical elements or having hardware acceleration working would cause a distinct drop and lagginess in my mouse. I can literally feel my mouse sensitivity drop over Clickable graphical UI elements. Like it's a frame Cap/V Sync activated only in the border of the element. Even in Strategy Games etc with clickable UI parts.

I must have missed this post when I wrote my previous comment (it still may be a good idea to check whether you're monitor is frame skipping though)...

All I know about your system from this thread is you have a 2080 Ti and a SR75 (I'm guessing the non-32" model, which is only 60Hz, so it's the 144Hhz version, right?).

You reporting less input lag with the Freesync option active in the monitor OSD is possible, since again, VRR operation requires less display processing to work properly. But VRR behavior should not be active on you're 2080 Ti until you have both the FreeSync option in the monitor OSD and the G-SYNC option in the NVCP turned on.

But then you say that you're getting this inconsistency with either the FreeSync option in the OSD on or off, right? And did this happened before the FreeSync firmware update on your monitor, or did yours come with that version out of the box?

Because the closest thing I can think to what you're describing is what happens when you have borderless/windowed G-SYNC mode active in the NVCP and you are running an unsupported app or have the game window unfocused, which literally lowers the active refresh rate of the monitor to the teens, making the mouse feel and look like complete crap, but that would only apply if the mode was active.

That, or something like frame skipping. Those are the two most obvious off-the-top-of-my-head.

But look, sometimes unless the issue you're experiencing is really common, asking strangers to help you troubleshoot an abstract problem blindly, solely through text via your own perspective, is like asking a surgeon to walk you through performing your own heart transplant over the phone.

For instance, I was following a Guru3D thread recently, and this guy swore up and down to everyone that his GTX 1080 was being shown as a RTX 2080 in the device manager, even after a complete SSD formatting and reinstalling Windows. This went on for more than two pages until he finally sent a picture of his card, and someone spotted that it said "RTX," not "GTX." He had mistaken his 2080 for a 1080 (it was stock, so there was no obvious naming on it, and he was switching it out with another card temporarily).

I'm not saying you do or don't have an issue, I'm saying from what you're describing, good luck 1) conveying it adequately enough to prove and identify it, and 2) finding a solution that sticks, or 3) in the off chance it doesn't end up being anything fixable, being willing to move on.

A lot of people have been spamming the forums with ghost-like "lag" issues this past year or so, claiming a multitude of causes, and most of those threads usually end in one of three ways; placebo fixes, arguments, bans, or a mix of all.

I see that Alot of people here tend to seem a bit neurotic and come up with possibly absurd causes/fixes etc to input lag and some of these are pure placebo, considering most people's symptoms aren't exactly the same. So it's hard to pin down placebo or an actual issue. This is not one of those cases I Believe.

Also, yes my space monitor came with the Free Sync update active I believe. Firmware 1006.3. Unfortunately, I can't find old firmware versions to roll back and test it out without it.

Anyways Take a look, there's several threads of people reporting VERY similiar issues to me across multiple forums etc, which would decrease the likelihood of an echo chamber/placebo being a prime influencer.

It's safe to say this is an actual issue. Alot of them noticed it being G Sync/ Hardware accel related or multiple monitors. I googled my exact symptoms and found several threads. Only difference between me and most of these is I have FreeSync Disabled in the OSD and G Sync Disabled and my monitor is on "fixed" refresh rate.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a9c987b548

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... s.3124753/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... s.3517872/

https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php? ... deo.13708/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... n-windows/

https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTark ... new_1440p/

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comme ... abled_for/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... mouse-lag/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... 0.2615277/

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-so ... d-p/359018

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 90d5e23118

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/ins ... hed.12526/

https://www.reddit.com/r/obs/comments/k ... d_monitor/

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/co ... ration_is/

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comment ... ble_icons/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... g.3639792/

What do you think? There's even more threads I can link but I think that'll do for now.
I'm just assuming the firmware/monitor itself is extremely shaky and unstable. Considering Turning free sync off doesn't fix the issue. Almost like it's still softly activated in the background?

Regardless, I will be buying a new monitor soon

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 11 Jan 2022, 18:44

ZetaAlo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 17:26
What do you think? There's even more threads I can link but I think that'll do for now.
I'm just assuming the firmware/monitor itself is extremely shaky and unstable. Considering Turning free sync off doesn't fix the issue. Almost like it's still softly activated in the background?
There's one simple way you can determine whether it is the monitor (where the issues of the cursor is slowing on elements such as hyperlinks is concerned); if you have a TV with an HDMI port, unplug your computer from your monitor, plug it into the TV and try to replicate the issue. If it's gone, it's the monitor, if it's not, it's a software and/or hardware configuration issue on the system-side.

I'd offer more suggestions, but I took a look at your post history and saw you have already tried several things I would have typically suggested, so try that first, if possible.

ZetaAlo

Post by ZetaAlo » 13 Jan 2022, 17:43

jorimt wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 18:44
ZetaAlo wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 17:26
There's one simple way you can determine whether it is the monitor (where the issues of the cursor is slowing on elements such as hyperlinks is concerned); if you have a TV with an HDMI port, unplug your computer from your monitor, plug it into the TV and try to replicate the issue. If it's gone, it's the monitor, if it's not, it's a software and/or hardware configuration issue on the system-side.

I'd offer more suggestions, but I took a look at your post history and saw you have already tried several things I would have typically suggested, so try that first, if possible.
I will try it out on my QLED TV also, another thing I noticed, I kid you not...in FPS games when my GPU Is 99% Usage, Halo Infinite is where I feel it the most. My mouse Is snappier and more accurate. Anything below 99% usage feels "floaty" and less snappy, even if my frame rate/"sensitivity" might be higher.

Lmao, I'm dead serious. This is the exact opposite of what I read should happen. Any ideas on that? Could that be related to the monitor/Free sync/GPU Issue

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 13 Jan 2022, 19:23

ZetaAlo wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 17:43
I will try it out on my QLED TV also, another thing I noticed, I kid you not...in FPS games when my GPU Is 99% Usage, Halo Infinite is where I feel it the most. My mouse Is snappier and more accurate. Anything below 99% usage feels "floaty" and less snappy, even if my frame rate/"sensitivity" might be higher.
Without hands-on troubleshooting in person, I have no idea by your description. 99% GPU usage typically means more pre-rendered frames pile up in the render queue as the CPU waits for the GPU to be ready, creating 2+ frames more latency.

Infinite uses DX12, however, which may manage the render queue differently than DX11 games, for instance. I've played Infinite as well, and I can say that it's multiplayer certainly isn't the most "snappy" feeling, regardless of settings (haven't played SP yet).
ZetaAlo wrote:
Lmao, I'm dead serious. This is the exact opposite of what I read should happen. Any ideas on that? Could that be related to the monitor/Free sync/GPU Issue
No ideas off-the-top-of-my-head going solely by your description. Not enough to determine anything, especially since a lot of this is very subjective; one person may notice, while another may be completely oblivious.

Though honestly, a display shouldn't be able to cause anything you've been describing. It just outputs frames from the system with more or less (usually fixed) display latency, depending on the model. Beyond that, the worst case would usually be frame skipping, which can be tested with the link I sent in one of my earlier replies to you.

It will be interesting to know if you can replicate any of these issues on your QLED. Again, if you can, it would point more toward a software and/or hardware configuration situation, perhaps even game-specific in some cases.

I think the real question is, did any of your previous system/display combos ever feel "right?"

ZetaAlo

Post by ZetaAlo » 13 Jan 2022, 20:03

jorimt wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 19:23
ZetaAlo wrote:
Without hands-on troubleshooting in person, I have no idea by your description. 99% GPU usage typically means more pre-rendered frames pile up in the render queue as the CPU waits for the GPU to be ready, creating 2+ frames more latency.

Infinite uses DX12, however, which may manage the render queue differently than DX11 games, for instance. I've played Infinite as well, and I can say that it's multiplayer certainly isn't the most "snappy" feeling, regardless of settings (haven't played SP yet).
ZetaAlo wrote:
No ideas off-the-top-of-my-head going solely by your description. Not enough to determine anything, especially since a lot of this is very subjective; one person may notice, while another may be completely oblivious.

Though honestly, a display shouldn't be able to cause anything you've been describing. It just outputs frames from the system with more or less (usually fixed) display latency, depending on the model. Beyond that, the worst case would usually be frame skipping, which can be tested with the link I sent in one of my earlier replies to you.

It will be interesting to know if you can replicate any of these issues on your QLED. Again, if you can, it would point more toward a software and/or hardware configuration situation, perhaps even game-specific in some cases.

I think the real question is, did any of your previous system/display combos ever feel "right?"

You say that a monitor shouldn't cause any of the issues I'm experiencing, but I posted several threads of people experiencing the exact same thing, and G Sync/Free Sync/multi monitor (combined with certain variations of hardware accel) seemed to be the combining factor.

One was even related to an Integrated Intel GPU and Intel Support themselves said it was a IGPU driver bug interaction with G sync/multi monitors.

It's not hard to believe. Considering G Sync and VRR tech lowers your refresh rate to your FPS etc. It wouldn't be hard to see how Drivers and Graphical UI Elements could react "badly" with certain VRR technology, just play a game with G Sync and you can feel your mouse slow down significantly when your fps drops.

Makes perfect since some UI/GPU/G Sync interaction could cause the "lag". It's reproducible practically Everytime. Any clickable UI elements cause my mouse to slow down/lag. I can even see the pathing/movement of the mouse change. If I have hardware accel activated the entire application has that floaty lag.

I got into Serious PC gaming about 5 years ago. Now that I think about it I never really noticed anything bad at the beginning. I don't recall, at least. I had an Asus 144hz TN G Sync panel at the beginning but only for about 3-4 months. Then I went to a 75hz Dell IPS panel with Free Sync because the TN panel just looked too bad, with it's extremely grainy and thick anti Glare coating and bad colors. Now my 144hz Samsung space with free Sync. I noticed this issue making me unable to perform In certain games around 2-4 ish years ago. So Most of my Gaming has been done on Free Sync Displays. Never really thought it could be the monitor , but I've just become more and more aware of the issue...since it started and narrowed it down and have found out the lag is completely reproducible with certain controls.

ZetaAlo

Post by ZetaAlo » 13 Jan 2022, 20:06

jorimt wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 19:23
ZetaAlo wrote:

ZetaAlo wrote:

Like I can literally feel the mouse being "dragged" back or slowed down over links, or any or most clickable UI elements. Like it's being "caught" and the sensitivity of my mouse is dropping significantly momentarily when I mouse over them, then reverting back to normal. It sounds weird as fuck, but it's true. Even in games. AND any app with hardware acceleration makes the mouse feel like it has VSYNC enabled

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 13 Jan 2022, 20:30

ZetaAlo wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 20:06
Like I can literally feel the mouse being "dragged" back or slowed down over links, or any or most clickable UI elements. Like it's being "caught" and the sensitivity of my mouse is dropping significantly momentarily when I mouse over them, then reverting back to normal. It sounds weird as fuck, but it's true. Even in games. AND any app with hardware acceleration makes the mouse feel like it has VSYNC enabled
I understand, that's why you need to start ruling things out. Again, trying to replicate it on another TV you already own is an easy start.

I also asked you in my last comment if there was ever a point when you didn't have this issue?