Does Display Lag increase over Time?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
FPSMaster

Does Display Lag increase over Time?

Post by FPSMaster » 08 Sep 2021, 15:11

Hello Guys,
i have 2 questions. I wondered if the Display Lag/Monitor Input Lag from TN panels increases after a couple of years? And do other things of the monitor degrade over time? Like brightness, colors, contrast and response time... I would be very happy to get a answer.

Thank you for reading!

wlundstrom

Re: Does Display Lag increase over Time?

Post by wlundstrom » 12 Sep 2021, 07:24

No, I do not think so? The VG248QE that I've had for six years hasn't degraded in any way except colors. I do think that has something more to do with the sun exposure of my panel.
ASUS 24" VG248QE | ASUS 25" PG259QN

deama

Post by deama » 12 Sep 2021, 10:23

Donno about input lag, but monitors in general degrade in brightness/uniformity/colours overtime, the amount of which depends on the type of monitor. E.g. I've had a TN panel monitor for 6 years and when I was replacing it I noticed (comparing to the new monitor) that the white background was very washed out and had "stains" on it if that makes sense.
I did some digging and found out that all monitors degrade at different rates, usually you can reduce this degradation by switching the monitor off when not in use, or not using it as often.

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 12 Sep 2021, 16:30

Alright, thank you guys for the clarifying. So, as understood, mainly the colors and brightness will take a hit after years of use.

I'm wondering if it's different from IPS to TN panels. Maybe someone can explain it here?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 12 Sep 2021, 16:49

FPSMaster wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 15:11
I wondered if the Display Lag/Monitor Input Lag from TN panels increases after a couple of years? And do other things of the monitor degrade over time? Like brightness, colors, contrast and response time.
I don't see a technical reason why display lag would increase over time, unless one of the internal components fail (at which point it probably wouldn't have a fully working picture), so, as far as I'm aware, I'd say no on that one.

As for brightness, colors, contrast, and response time, modern LED backlights in your typical gaming monitor (which are primarily responsible for the aforementioned) have a very long half life before they reach half brightness. We're talking years and years of 24/7 usage at max brightness before you see a noticeable decrease in any of those aspects, if at all, assuming the monitor doesn't develop a fault over its lifetime.

So, honestly, assuming, again, the monitor doesn't develop a fault, you probably won't have time to notice the degradation in any of these aspects before it's time for another upgrade, unless you only upgrade every 10-15 years :P

That, and depending on an individual unit's starting condition, uniformity can sometimes actually improve slightly as the backlight "breaks in" and the frame settles, depending on the backlight, panel, chassis/mounting type, and usage scenarios, of course.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)