Internet related issue and possible fix

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Gumichan

Internet related issue and possible fix

Post by Gumichan » 08 Sep 2021, 17:06

Hello! Apologize for bad English in advance, I'm not a native speaker.
A little introduction to the issue: I play competitively(earn money from gaming) and recently I moved to another flat and since then competing online been legit a pure cancer(bad bullet reg, a feeling of huge delay even on my host(0ms ping), lack of aim-assist(I play mostly on console and with controller when i play on pc), game feels normal 1-2 days a week at best. I have a dedicated just for gaming business fibre broadband(it's not a leased line tho).Im 99.9% sure it's Internet related issue, as I have basically a perfect quality of the electricity + a DC UPS(to be immune to blackouts during tournaments)
So I've talked to my ISP, explained the situation and they've suggested 2 options:
1.Dedicated internet access(Leased fibre line to their POP) - about 1200$ for installation and 200$/month for 50 mbps
2.ISP Grade Internet access(Leased line + IP Transit via BGP) - same 1200 for the fibre line, 150$ to help me get an autonomous system, 300$/year to maintain it, about 400$ for 50 mbps(equipment lease fee included).
So the reason I'm creating this post is to hear from people who dealt with any of these options or people that have a clue about networking to find out If any of these options are worth the money and the hassle, I can afford both of them and it 100% will pay off money wise if it fixes the issue but obviously don't want to spend a fortune for nothing, so LMK please.

Unreazz

Re: Internet related issue and possible fix

Post by Unreazz » 10 Sep 2021, 10:08

I know that oldschool7 ordered a leased line in germany since he has the issue like you and overall it dinst helped. About youre first option i have no clue but its obivious internet related

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 10 Sep 2021, 12:35

Gumichan wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 17:06
A little introduction to the issue: I play competitively(earn money from gaming) and recently I moved to another flat and since then competing online been legit a pure cancer(bad bullet reg, a feeling of huge delay even on my host(0ms ping), lack of aim-assist(I play mostly on console and with controller when i play on pc), game feels normal 1-2 days a week at best. I have a dedicated just for gaming business fibre broadband(it's not a leased line tho).Im 99.9% sure it's Internet related issue, as I have basically a perfect quality of the electricity + a DC UPS(to be immune to blackouts during tournaments)
So I've talked to my ISP, explained the situation and they've suggested 2 options:
1.Dedicated internet access(Leased fibre line to their POP) - about 1200$ for installation and 200$/month for 50 mbps
2.ISP Grade Internet access(Leased line + IP Transit via BGP) - same 1200 for the fibre line, 150$ to help me get an autonomous system, 300$/year to maintain it, about 400$ for 50 mbps(equipment lease fee included).
So the reason I'm creating this post is to hear from people who dealt with any of these options or people that have a clue about networking to find out If any of these options are worth the money and the hassle, I can afford both of them and it 100% will pay off money wise if it fixes the issue but obviously don't want to spend a fortune for nothing, so LMK please.
the fact that you feel the delay on host should tell u its not inet, i would at the very least rent a generator for like 20 bucks and run your shit off that before u go spend the money on a dedicated line.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Sep 2021, 13:26

Gumichan wrote:
Most problems are internet related (though sometimes they are rarely power related), or computer related, or game related, or a combination of all the above.

I know people who've got major latency improvements by switching ISPs, using a gaming VPN, or getting business Internet.

Sometimes you DO need to spend money to give multiple things a try -- this is something that is not easy to troubleshoot. Multiple ISPs, multiple VPNs.

But test a low lying apple too because you have a UPS: Test lag in offline play. Do you get lag in offline play? Then, if you're uncertain if it's electricity related, try unplugging the UPS from the outlet and see if your latency disappears whenever you're unplugged. Sometimes an electrical interference is the cause, albiet more rarelyo6 rarely (bad power -> interference -> creates error correction effects -> cascades to lag).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 10 Sep 2021, 14:10

Unreazz wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 10:08
I know that oldschool7 ordered a leased line in germany since he has the issue like you and overall it dinst helped. About youre first option i have no clue but its obivious internet related
There is no possible way that you arent willing to rent a generator after 2 people have tried dedicated lines unsuccessfully you wanna keep going on about this theory and literally no one has ever said they fixed their issues by doing anything internet related at all, the only thing i ask of you before you send another message on blur busters about how you think its so obviously internet related is to rent a generator and see for yourself how internet related it is

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 10 Sep 2021, 14:38

Do you have this in offline maps? It could very well be internet but instead of paying for business line,try different isps first. Im not sure if this issue is electrical,but do you experience input lag? Stutter?

Gumichan

Post by Gumichan » 10 Sep 2021, 16:37

Unreazz wrote:
I've read some of his replies and from what I've understood he has a DSL leased line or something like that, I'm certain that it differs a lot from what I was offered in the 1st option. As far as I know in different countries the term"leased line" usually means complete different things - many ISP's claim that they provide regular home broadband via leased line lol. So if he replies to my thread I'd love to ask him some questions.

Gumichan

Post by Gumichan » 10 Sep 2021, 16:41

nick4567 wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 12:35
Gumichan wrote:
the fact that you feel the delay on host should tell u its not inet, i would at the very least rent a generator for like 20 bucks and run your shit off that before u go spend the money on a dedicated line.
Tbh i think that all these theories about electricity do not make any sense imo ofc, like there hasn't been a single proper proof of that and yes, I did testing in offline mode and the gameplay was perfect.

Gumichan

Post by Gumichan » 10 Sep 2021, 17:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 13:26
Gumichan wrote:
Most problems are internet related (though sometimes they are rarely power related), or computer related, or game related, or a combination of all the above.

I know people who've got major latency improvements by switching ISPs, using a gaming VPN, or getting business Internet.

Sometimes you DO need to spend money to give multiple things a try -- this is something that is not easy to troubleshoot. Multiple ISPs, multiple VPNs.

But test a low lying apple too because you have a UPS: Test lag in offline play. Do you get lag in offline play? Then, if you're uncertain if it's electricity related, try unplugging the UPS from the outlet and see if your latency disappears whenever you're unplugged. Sometimes an electrical interference is the cause, albiet more rarelyo6 rarely (bad power -> interference -> creates error correction effects -> cascades to lag).
It's surely has nothing to do with electricity, offline gameplay is totally fine. And it has nothing to do with hardware as well, as like I said in the post I mostly play on console(i have 1 ps5 and 2 ps4s + i have a pc) and the chances that 3 gaming consoles and a pc have faulty hardware are very-very low.
My ISP claims that they understand what I mean and that they worked with some comp teams providing Internet to their bootcamps/offices and that these orgs usually buy 1 of these 2 options I've listed. But I can't check it myself, only take their word, so I wanted to hear unbiased opinion from people who actually tried anything out of what I've described. I saw some people talking about getting themselves a "dedicated line" but I don't think it has anything to do with dedicated internet access with direct connection to the ISP backbone equipment via DEDICATED fibre link that was built/rented specially for them. The terminology that ISP's use can be very deceptive these days due to aggressive marketing, I might be wrong tho.

stefanbk

Post by stefanbk » 10 Sep 2021, 17:50

nick4567 wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 14:10
Unreazz wrote:
There is no possible way that you arent willing to rent a generator after 2 people have tried dedicated lines unsuccessfully you wanna keep going on about this theory and literally no one has ever said they fixed their issues by doing anything internet related at all, the only thing i ask of you before you send another message on blur busters about how you think its so obviously internet related is to rent a generator and see for yourself how internet related it is
That's not true. I had the same issue like everyone else and by changing my isp now the problem is fixed.