Mouse Sensor Lag (Discussion Thread)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Eonds

Re: Mouse Sensor Lag!

Post by Eonds » 14 Sep 2021, 23:09

lizardpeter wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 22:04
Eonds wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 21:14
lizardpeter wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 21:13
Eonds wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 20:38
you can check my twitter
What’s your Twitter? I’d be interested in how to do it on my 2080 Ti.
You can click on my blurbusters name or https://twitter.com/jerry05259307

( i joke around a lot on my twitter) Don't take everything i say 100% seriously.
So for Viper 8K, you recommend assigning it to one core? Does is usually just default to core 0?

Core 0 usually get's destroyed unless you have some sort of automated scheduling like ryzen/alder lake has. Yes i'd recommend pinning your USB controller to different cores. You should do that for each important driver like, audio, network, gpu driver, etc.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 14 Sep 2021, 23:17

lizardpeter wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 22:07
Eonds wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 20:38
The testing which has been done by youtubers is not accurate enough to measure the difference between the two.
If this is the case, where do you get your information from? Do you test it yourself? If so, you should create some kind of database with your info or upload your results. That would be awesome.
I do a lot of research, I inspect the PCB's, I read documentation from the companies themselves, (i cant say this part but it's driver related inspection), overclocking capabilities, general architecture overview, security on the GPU, etc. You can draw a very reasonable conclusion as to which GPU has lower latency simply based on the architecture, OC, how much tiling takes place before a frame is completed, what type of power savings/how they affect latency, etc. I post a lot on my twitter/discord server of documentation/important information regarding all of these things. Another thing to consider is what you're able to disable, enable, and modify. I could take the easy way out and say simply because of the higher core/memory clock that AMD has lower latency, but it's much more complicated than that. TBRD implementation (nvidia mostly over using it hurting latency) is for people who jerk off about FPS. AMD is more open source than NVIDIA, and is much more open about everything. I think testing with scopes and probes is important but that's very expensive + you need a custom setup to do it properly to get accurate results. So yes testing is important, but I personally can't do it accurately without spending thousands of dollars, and we can draw a well supported conclusion that modern AMD GPU's have lower latency. That's my conclusion and if there's anything that i'm missing/skipping over that could turn the tides, please lmk.

Edit: I forgot to mention default VRAM timings is also important in this context + the ability to tune them + driver latency.

lizardpeter

Post by lizardpeter » 15 Sep 2021, 21:49

Eonds wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 23:09
Core 0 usually gets destroyed unless you have some sort of automated scheduling like ryzen/alder lake has. Yes i'd recommend pinning your USB controller to different cores. You should do that for each important driver like, audio, network, gpu driver, etc.
With something like Process Lasso? If I have an 8-core i9 9900k, would I want to assign each driver to a different core? I’ve also read that assigning to the core itself (0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14) and not the hyper threaded core (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15) is better, but I’m not sure.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MT/s CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Razer Viper 8K | Artisan Zero Mid XL | Apex Pro TKL | 1 gbps FiOS (Fiber)

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 16 Sep 2021, 05:28

lizardpeter wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 21:49
Eonds wrote:
Core 0 usually gets destroyed unless you have some sort of automated scheduling like ryzen/alder lake has. Yes i'd recommend pinning your USB controller to different cores. You should do that for each important driver like, audio, network, gpu driver, etc.
With something like Process Lasso? If I have an 8-core i9 9900k, would I want to assign each driver to a different core? I’ve also read that assigning to the core itself (0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14) and not the hyper threaded core (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15) is better, but I’m not sure.

I disable SMT/HT on all my pc's as you should if you're a latency enthusiast. Hyper threaded cores aren't real cores so don't do that, instead disable SMT/HT and set them to any core that isn't core 0 (core 1).

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 16 Sep 2021, 08:38

lizardpeter wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 21:49
Eonds wrote:
You can use the "interrupt affinity policy tool" to assign certain devices to a different core. But you need to find out which device exactly it is. You can simply click the device in a drop down list, and assign any core for it. Normally its the best, if you assign a core which isoften at low utilizations. Usually thats core 4 or 6 on 4c/8t processors. But you need to do benchmarks, and look for the core with the lowest utilization to be sure. Then assign the device to that core and thread. You can also just assign the physical core! I would recommend to only assign to physical cores, but its up to you.
Normally I do this with my GPU device and Mouse Host controller. If I wouldnt change those devices to different cores, my core "0" would be always at minimum 80%! So its good to relive some stress from it!

Here is a good video how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBp3a5WIzE&t=412s