Mouse Sensor Lag (Discussion Thread)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
FPSMaster

Mouse Sensor Lag (Discussion Thread)

Post by FPSMaster » 12 Sep 2021, 20:16

You guys ever heared other people claiming that any 1khz Mouse has 1ms total input lag?

Well, that's wrong. Most mice have different input lag, and we are not talking about 0.1ms variation... we are talking up to 5ms differences!
I stumbled over this theme, because I bought a Logitech G502 Hero, and I felt like it has more input lag then my old one. And maybe you are using a mouse with alot input lag! And you just thaught its your monitor or PC.

A mouse needs to do processing like any other PC part, or Monitor. It's not just like the sensor is directly connected with a wire to the PC, no...
The signal goes trough multiple components inside the mouse and then in your PC.

Sadly, I because this topic is pretty underrated, I couldnt find alot in the web. I saw some tests and the differences in input lag surprised me but they didn't test alot of mice. If anybody knows a website please post it in here!

Now for all the people who want to see it here are 2 testing videos about mouse sensor input lag variations!
One video is from a famous YouTube called "BattleNonSense" and one from "Reckless Yùto".
1.: https://youtu.be/mwf_F2VboFQ
2.: https://youtu.be/wO22BuqLnYc

**IMPORTANT**
(Do not mix "mouse click latency" with the mouse "sensor latency". The mouse sensor latency is the one that introduce input lag when physically moving the mouse with your hand! The click latency is the one when clicking a mouse button!)

Edit: My guy BattleNonSense tested mainly 8khz polling rate vs 1khz, but he also tested different mice on the same DPI and the same polling rate! There you can see what I am talking about. And there is also a big difference in 8k vs 1k polling rate, thats pretty interesting as well! He tested the Mouse "click latency" and mouse "moving latency"! Just look in the pictures/attachments below, it's easy to see.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210913-034420_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20210913-034420_YouTube.jpg (509.62 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
Screenshot_20210913-034517_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20210913-034517_YouTube.jpg (513.22 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
Last edited by FPSMaster on 13 Sep 2021, 09:01, edited 3 times in total.

lizardpeter

Re: Mouse Sensor Lag!

Post by lizardpeter » 13 Sep 2021, 04:06

Another good resource for this information is Optimum Tech.

https://youtu.be/imYBTj2RXFs
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MT/s CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Razer Viper 8K | Artisan Zero Mid XL | Apex Pro TKL | 1 gbps FiOS (Fiber)

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 13 Sep 2021, 06:55

lizardpeter wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 04:06
Another good resource for this information is Optimum Tech.

https://youtu.be/imYBTj2RXFs
Oh yea, he did a pretty good video too. Thanks for Posting this in here! Its just crazy to look at, when you did everything to reduce input lag, and you thaught 1khz mice have 1ms input lag.
When looking at those Videos and Tests, mice have generally 3-8ms total input lag. And in the Videos we can see bigger variations in input lag from Model to Model, or Brand to Brand.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 13 Sep 2021, 08:09

FPSMaster wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 20:16
You guys ever heared other people claiming that any 1khz Mouse has 1ms total input lag?

Well, that's wrong. Most mice have different input lag, and we are not talking about 0.1ms variation... we are talking up to 5ms differences!
I stumbled over this theme, because I bought a Logitech G502 Hero, and I felt like it has more input lag then my old one. And maybe you are using a mouse with alot input lag! And you just thaught its your monitor or PC.

A mouse needs to do processing like any other PC part, or Monitor. It's not just like the sensor is directly connected with a wire to the PC, no...
The signal goes trough multiple components inside the mouse and then in your PC.

Sadly, I because this topic is pretty underrated, I couldnt find alot in the web. I saw some tests and the differences in input lag surprised me but they didn't test alot of mice. If anybody knows a website please post it in here!

Now for all the people who want to see it here are 2 testing videos about mouse sensor input lag variations!
One video is from a famous YouTube called "BattleNonSense" and one from "Reckless Yùto".

**IMPORTANT**
(Do not mix "mouse click latency" with the mouse "sensor latency". The mouse sensor latency is the one that introduce input lag when physically moving the mouse with your hand! The click latency is the one when clicking a mouse button!)

Edit: My guy BattleNonSense tested mainly 8khz polling rate vs 1khz, but he also tested different mice on the same DPI and the same polling rate! There you can see what I am talking about. And there is also a big difference in 8k vs 1k polling rate, thats pretty interesting as well! He tested the Mouse "click latency" and mouse "moving latency"! Just look in the pictures/attachments below, it's easy to see.

His testing is only good enough for multi millisecond differences. It's not totally accurate but it's good enough for larger latency differences. It's decent work though !

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 13 Sep 2021, 08:15

Eonds wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 08:09
FPSMaster wrote:

**IMPORTANT**

His testing is only good enough for multi millisecond differences. It's not totally accurate but it's good enough for larger latency differences. It's decent work though !
It's pretty accurate. He showed a consistent number in ms, with 0.20ms variation. That's enough to see that there are actually large numbers of ms variation, which blows my mind tbh! I saw the Razer Viper 8k is one of the fastest mice, gonna get myself that one.

Pretty interesting for sure!

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 13 Sep 2021, 08:17

FPSMaster wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 08:15
Eonds wrote:
FPSMaster wrote:

**IMPORTANT**

It's pretty accurate. He showed a consistent number in ms, with 0.20ms variation. That's enough to see that there are actually large numbers of ms variation, which blows my mind tbh! I saw the Razer Viper 8k is one of the fastest mice, gonna get myself that one.

I own two 8khz peripherals and yes it's very fast. Did he say his standard deviation? click to photon/movement to photon isn't accurate as other methods (way more expensive though)

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 13 Sep 2021, 08:30

Eonds wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 08:17
FPSMaster wrote:
Eonds wrote:
FPSMaster wrote:

**IMPORTANT**

I own two 8khz peripherals and yes it's very fast. Did he say his standard deviation? click to photon/movement to photon isn't accurate as other methods (way more expensive though)
BattleNonSense is testing with a acurracy of 0.1ms! He has professionell testing Equipment. He is using a super slow motion camera which captures more than 1000fps per second. Movement to photon is pretty much the best you can do. Its the latency between a mouse move and the very first action on the display. He did multiple Videos about his testing bench, and he showed it detailed in the Videos.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 13 Sep 2021, 08:40

FPSMaster wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 08:30
Eonds wrote:
FPSMaster wrote:
Eonds wrote:

BattleNonSense is testing with a acurracy of 0.1ms! He has professionell testing Equipment. He is using a super slow motion camera which captures more than 1000fps per second. Movement to photon is pretty much the best you can do. Its the latency between a mouse move and the very first action on the display. He did multiple Videos about his testing bench, and he showed it detailed in the Videos.
I'm not trying to argue but click to photon is only good for showing multi ms differences in latency. They standard deviation/fluctuation in the data is proof that not every variable is locked down. I don't really trust the methodology when it comes to sub 1ms changes. It's good enough for general testing.

slaver01

Post by slaver01 » 13 Sep 2021, 08:43

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 13 Sep 2021, 08:59

Eonds wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 08:40
FPSMaster wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 08:30
Eonds wrote:
FPSMaster wrote:

I'm not trying to argue but click to photon is only good for showing multi ms differences in latency. They standard deviation/fluctuation in the data is proof that not every variable is locked down. I don't really trust the methodology when it comes to sub 1ms changes. It's good enough for general testing.
True. The other guy "Reckless Yuti" did test the mice by themselves with a LED mounted to special detecting tools. You might want to check out his testing method. But he is testing the mouse together in his hands, and he dont have them mounted on a machine like BattleNonSens has.
I must say, as long as they get results in ms, I'm fine. I don't feel 0.5ms variations.