An interesting anecdote for EMI display issues

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
lizardpeter

An interesting anecdote for EMI display issues

Post by lizardpeter » 15 Sep 2021, 19:48

Lightning struck near my house yesterday but did not actually affect any of my electronics (to my knowledge) other than my monitor. The lights never dimmed or flickered, so I don't think the power itself was affected in any way. I was playing an intensive game and my PC didn't crash, so I don't think the actual power delivery was an issue. I think that the EMI from the lightning caused my monitor to turn on and off. I just thought it was an interesting observation and an example of how EMI could be causing some of people's electronics problems. As I have heard others say, the EMI could cause errors that are corrected instead of directly causing a crash, resulting in extra processing lag to correct these errors.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MT/s CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Razer Viper 8K | Artisan Zero Mid XL | Apex Pro TKL | 1 gbps FiOS (Fiber)

Mugabi

Re: An interesting anecdote for EMI display issues

Post by Mugabi » 16 Sep 2021, 08:18

water is wet

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Sep 2021, 12:48

Mugabi wrote: ↑
16 Sep 2021, 08:18
water is wet
Enough trolling.
lizardpeter wrote: ↑
15 Sep 2021, 19:48
I think that the EMI from the lightning caused my monitor to turn on and off
One of my monitors (not all of them) blanks out every time I turn on a certain 12 volt lamp near the computer monitor -- the power supply in the 12 volt desk lamp emits a mini-EMP of interference. A tiny cherry bomb worth of EMP pulse, if you will -- only when it was flicked on and power surged through the lamp's transformer/supply. The monitor recovers after 3-4 seconds (as if the monitor automatically rebooted).

Basically a mini version of the LG 5K display problem with WiFi routers -- https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/03/lg-fixes ... naffected/

I can imagine how some weaker computer components (near-borderline warranty or cheaply made) would react to such an EMI-prone desk lamp sitting next to the unprotected glass window. Who knows?

Moral of the story -- keep electronics apart as much as you can. The inverse square law is your best friend. Falls off very well with a meter of distance.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Bobo

Post by Bobo » 16 Sep 2021, 16:21

my monitor screen goes black and then back to normal everytime i turn on my speakers.

lizardpeter

Post by lizardpeter » 16 Sep 2021, 21:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote: ↑
16 Sep 2021, 12:48
Basically a mini version of the LG 5K display problem with WiFi routers -- https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/03/lg-fixes ... naffected/
That's really interesting. I really wish there was a way to easily see how much error correction is occurring in modern PCs. I personally don't suffer from any known input lag problems, but I really like reading this stuff and researching it.

I had to stop using Astro A50 wireless headsets years ago. I went through three pairs of them, and all of them had the same issue. There was intermittent crackling and audio drops over wireless. I think it had everything to do with operating at 5 GHz and the interference with other devices and the access point itself. I know the new wireless tech in many mice is supposed to be great, and I don't really doubt that it is, but I find myself sticking with wired whenever I can because of my own bad experiences with wireless.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MT/s CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Razer Viper 8K | Artisan Zero Mid XL | Apex Pro TKL | 1 gbps FiOS (Fiber)