Apex legends, Gameplay feels awful/choppy

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
kyube

Re: Apex legends, Gameplay feels awful/choppy

Post by kyube » 30 Sep 2021, 09:03

Stimpy7314 wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 13:31
1. That setup isn't mine, i reposted that from guru3d. See here:https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/unsmo ... ge.437939/

2. My specs are a 2080ti Paired with a ryzen 5 3600x Ram:Fury beast 16gb 3600mhz xmp on. Gpu & cpu overclocked.

3.Fr33ty which guide, The final optimization pack? Did that already! No improvements, atleast in apex.

4. Used rtss, no luck, debloating nvidia drivers, no improvements at all.

5. my mouse is a logitech x superlight, used wired. No improvements. Tried 1600/3200

6. Reflex on/off/on+boost No improvements too, Yeah its a bit more responsive but still fucking choppy.

7. Tweaked bios & windows. Windows itself feels alot snappier but again, apex fucking choppy as always.
Oh, ok. A 2080ti should run Apex fine on 1080p.
However, the RAM you've mentioned, you haven't mentioned any single timing. That means you haven't invested in RAM overclocking at all and you cannot expect any kind of improvement in framerate stability/frametimes without this. RAM OC improves Ryzen performance (and in general perf.) by a TON.

You should consider is upgrading your RAM to some better Samsung B-die or some higher clocked G-Skill modules (+4000 ~cl15, there are a ton of guide on Ryzen RAM overclocking)

Also,I don't understand your statement where you claim tweaking "increases snappiness". Placebo is working hard against you, stop carrying about it and focus on the game.

Stimpy7314

Post by Stimpy7314 » 30 Sep 2021, 12:25

I clearly feel the difference between stock & tweaked. But that aside

i will try and invest in newer ram. Or can i oc? I just got it new haha, like 2 weeks ago. I tried to find on google if someone oc'ed the kingston fury beast. Nobody did it yet. So idk where to start

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 30 Sep 2021, 15:24

Stimpy7314 wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 12:25

i will try and invest in newer ram. Or can i oc? I just got it new haha, like 2 weeks ago. I tried to find on google if someone oc'ed the kingston fury beast. Nobody did it yet. So idk where to start
Apex is just a bad game.

ko4

Post by ko4 » 30 Sep 2021, 15:45

original poster here (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8620&p=67129#p67129)
completely given up on fixing this issue. No amount of tweaking and optimizing your system will fix apex's bad input handling
Since then I've tried yet another motherboard. Same issue persists on a paperspace cloud pc which uses windows server, so that rules out hardware/EMI and OS.

My advice: Uninstall this shit game or just try to forget about the stutters
Funny how M and Keyboard players not only have to compete against strong aim assist but also have to cope with shitty input
Tracking and panning is very smooth on controller, try it yourself. Or see my uploads from the original post
MK players have their whole arm to aim though, so they can't really complain ;) :geek:

Stimpy7314

Post by Stimpy7314 » 30 Sep 2021, 16:02

Even controller feels shit. 😂

I'm that reddit guy btw

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 30 Sep 2021, 18:56

ko4 wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 15:45
completely given up on fixing this issue. No amount of tweaking and optimizing your system will fix apex's bad input handling
Since then I've tried yet another motherboard. Same issue persists on a paperspace cloud pc which uses windows server, so that rules out hardware/EMI and OS.

Funny how M and Keyboard players not only have to compete against strong aim assist but also have to cope with shitty input
Tracking and panning is very smooth on controller, try it yourself. Or see my uploads from the original post
MK players have their whole arm to aim though, so they can't really complain ;) :geek:
Does not rule out interference ???? Ur still using ur pc to transmit information to ur monitor and ur stll sending inputs to the cloud pc from ur pc with ur mouse and keyboard dont worry the magnus opus is coming u guys wont have to wait much longer

kyube

Post by kyube » 30 Sep 2021, 22:16

ko4 wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 15:45

Or maybe try getting a stronger GPU(~2080ti levels of performance), RAM (this one especially people easily miss, more info below) and perhaps a better PSU (for better power delivery) and stop worrying about "choppiness" and enjoy the game if you really like it?
I'm playing Apex on a 2600k and a 1050ti on 540p and enjoy it immensely despite the visual 'handicap' (i wouldnt be replyin rn if i had a sick gpu to game on, would be on kc grindin lol). Sure, it's not Diabotical level of smoothness, but which game is? Diabotical/OW (due to multithreaded mouse input) > Quake > Apex > most other games in terms of mouse 'feel', but subjective feel based metrics are meh anyways. Grind thro' hurdles, life ain't all nice and dandy y'all.
Stimpy7314 wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 12:25

Check what chips your HyperX sticks are (they're probably not very good overclockers tho)
Under the term "OC", both increasing the frequency and decreasing primary, sub and tertiary timings is considered, keep that in mind.
You could invest in sticks that are B-Die (https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/) if you are willing to hunt for every frame possible from your CPU.
RAM Overclock depends on how well your motherboard, CPU IMC and RAM chip will cooperate (which is why we wanna make it easier by getting b-die)
There is tons of stability to be gained from better RAM that people sleep on because 90% of the time, people in Apex are GPU limited.
Invest in tweaking subs and terts, they yield very good improvements on DDR4. There's a few guides on overclock net and linustechtips forums that go VERY in-depth in RAM OC

MT_

Post by MT_ » 12 Oct 2021, 16:54

Eonds wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 18:38
MT_ wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 07:53
So you changed scheduler CPU to Fixed Length on a short interval length versus the default (Assuming non-server Windows edition) of Variable/Foreground triple length intervals with short interval length.

Can you explain why this would improve performance? Or was this setting totally wrong in the first place?

Logic would dictate that a long interval length would actually achieve most stable frametimes as there is minimal amount of context switching. Either way I have never seen such dramatic behavior in any game, on any Windows edition after changing this option though.
A longer fixed boost on a properly tweaked system can and will increase FPS. That doesn't mean input lag drops exactly. FPS isn't the only variable that affects system latency. It's actually not even that big in the real world.
Indeed.

The general misconception is that higher fps will always reduce input lag (Or input to signal lag), or that two differently configured systems both running on, lets say 120 fps, both have the exact same input lag.

Hell, developers can even artificially increase input lag in their code and system performance would have zero to do with the effect on it.
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 13 Oct 2021, 18:07

MT_ wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 16:54
Eonds wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 18:38
MT_ wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 07:53
So you changed scheduler CPU to Fixed Length on a short interval length versus the default (Assuming non-server Windows edition) of Variable/Foreground triple length intervals with short interval length.

Can you explain why this would improve performance? Or was this setting totally wrong in the first place?

Logic would dictate that a long interval length would actually achieve most stable frametimes as there is minimal amount of context switching. Either way I have never seen such dramatic behavior in any game, on any Windows edition after changing this option though.
A longer fixed boost on a properly tweaked system can and will increase FPS. That doesn't mean input lag drops exactly. FPS isn't the only variable that affects system latency. It's actually not even that big in the real world.
Indeed.

The general misconception is that higher fps will always reduce input lag (Or input to signal lag), or that two differently configured systems both running on, lets say 120 fps, both have the exact same input lag.

Hell, developers can even artificially increase input lag in their code and system performance would have zero to do with the effect on it.

yup

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 13 Oct 2021, 19:44

MT_ wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 16:54
developers can even artificially increase input lag in their code and system performance would have zero to do with the effect on it.
It's certainly true that devs can prioritize engine-level latency as little or as much as they want in certain respects (such as frame buffers, render time budgets, tick and physics rates, and general engine efficiency like asset loading, memory allocation, etc), regardless of system capability.

Sometimes the biggest bottleneck on even the most capable of systems can be the game itself, unfortunately.

That said, seeing as Apex in particular is running a very old, albeit heavily modified version of the Source (1) engine, it's genuinely surprising it runs on modern systems as well as it does, all things considered.

For instance, CS:GO's engine is also Source (1), and not only is it extremely CPU-limited (single-core performance is the most impactful metric for achieving higher average framerates in this particular game, for instance), it tends to start having mouse issues at higher DPI levels as well, one reason you probably see a lot of CS:GO players only using 400-800 DPI.

Not inferring that's the OP issue, but worth noting, nonetheless.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)