Apex legends, Gameplay feels awful/choppy

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
jboyer

Re: Apex legends, Gameplay feels awful/choppy

Post by jboyer » 11 Apr 2024, 18:00

I did a lot of tinkering on my PC trying to resolve this but I found a solution that I don't think has been tested before. The reason I think this is the solution is because when I run Mouse Tester software in Windows Safe Mode, the mouse polling is perfect. It seems to be something related to the GPU driver which no amount of DDU'ing and clean installs could fix.

Disable all your NVIDIA services
- NVIDIA Display Container
- NVIDIA FrameView SDK Service
- NVIDIA LocalSystem Container
I also disabled Geforce In-Game Overlay

This also means that you need to pre-configure all your NVIDIA settings because disabling these services prevents NVIDIA Control Panel from working.

I did a ton of optimizations mainly following Calypto's Latency Guide, getting my average interrupt to DPC latency down to 4us. While gaming, I'll sometimes see DPC routine (nvlddmkm or dxgkrnl) spike to about 500-700us, but these actually make up such a tiny proportion of all the DPC routines. Even so, the mouse still felt weird but after disabling the NVIDIA services my mouse was unbelievably snappy and stable. I feel like I can actually game now. My current configuration is
- RTSS: 155fps with Passive Waiting Disabled
- Double Buffered V-Sync in Game
- Reflex Enabled + Boost
When I ran this configuration before my mouse still felt really slow but now it's super snappy. I also am now experiencing a massive improvement in network performance which I still can't figure why. Before it felt like I had 0 time whatsoever to aim and react but the last few games in ranked I've been taking way less damage and not getting that sensation of being 0.5s behind the server even though my ping is low. I really implore everyone to try this.

akylen

Post by akylen » 12 Apr 2024, 08:44

jboyer wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 18:00
I did a lot of tinkering on my PC trying to resolve this but I found a solution that I don't think has been tested before. The reason I think this is the solution is because when I run Mouse Tester software in Windows Safe Mode, the mouse polling is perfect. It seems to be something related to the GPU driver which no amount of DDU'ing and clean installs could fix.

This also means that you need to pre-configure all your NVIDIA settings because disabling these services prevents NVIDIA Control Panel from working.

I did a ton of optimizations mainly following Calypto's Latency Guide, getting my average interrupt to DPC latency down to 4us. While gaming, I'll sometimes see DPC routine (nvlddmkm or dxgkrnl) spike to about 500-700us, but these actually make up such a tiny proportion of all the DPC routines. Even so, the mouse still felt weird but after disabling the NVIDIA services my mouse was unbelievably snappy and stable. I feel like I can actually game now. My current configuration is
- Reflex Enabled + Boost
When I ran this configuration before my mouse still felt really slow but now it's super snappy. I also am now experiencing a massive improvement in network performance which I still can't figure why. Before it felt like I had 0 time whatsoever to aim and react but the last few games in ranked I've been taking way less damage and not getting that sensation of being 0.5s behind the server even though my ping is low. I really implore everyone to try this.
Keep us updated over time please

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 12 Apr 2024, 08:47

jboyer wrote:

- Reflex Enabled + Boost
Try new nvidia app

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 12 Apr 2024, 09:23

jboyer wrote:

- Reflex Enabled + Boost
I LIKE XOS 1803, Brought my DPC lowest. https://discord.gg/dsVkV24v is there discord.
Also how many GB RAM u got? 16GB or 32GB? Apex NEEDS 32GB to keep the lows in hand. That upgrade was huge for me.
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

hayaya

Post by hayaya » 13 Apr 2024, 20:05

This whole thread sounds like pure placebo, although I don't doubt many "fixes" were somewhat effective at some point in the past.
Anecdotally, there was one patch in S16( or end of S15?), when developers didn't patch a bug that lets players load whatever config after entering the game. This led to me using someone else's S2 graphic + game tweaks, for example, faster bullet animation (to reduce bullet ejection visual clutter), disable blur for inventory menu, and most important of all, disable bloom. That in particular made the game felt ultra-realtime for me. They patched it and the game never felt anywhere near as good afterward. If I was to theorise anything, I would guess something with Apex's HDR implementation. Game also got way brighter, just by comparing old firing range video (as in, pre-bloom old firing range vs. post-bloom old firing range). You can see it too - 2 years ago many MNK player's videos just seemed smoother and they could go for peeks with far tighter timing rather than play slow to guarantee a hit.

I say just give up if on mouse and keyboard. Not worth it playing a game where you're not just fighting aimbot users, but also the developers who insist on having so many quirky visual diarrhea on your screen and 10+ ms unnecessary input lag.

And well, you could still make the game feel minorly less laggy by reducing texture size to none, and use disable shadow altogether. But you are making your game visual beyond unenjoyable, and lacking shadow is arguably a disadvantage.
M27Q (rev 2.0 :oops: :cry: )
past: random Kogan VA monitor (same panel as Viotek GN24C),
Philips 276E8VJSB