My 2 cents about mouse and input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
f0rce

My 2 cents about mouse and input lag

Post by f0rce » 03 Oct 2021, 23:34

Hey there, I have been lurking around this forum for a long time and wanted to share my knowledge about this interesting topic.

I'm an old counter strike 1.6 player and computer entusiast that have had some issues with my particular PC setup for a couple of years now. While my PC is carefully built with quality parts and never really had a any big problems with it, It never translated in to any good performances in CSGO in particular.

I was getting frustrated lately because it felt that something wasn't on point with my aim and the overall consistency was lacking to say the least. The easy shots was never really easy, and it was to the point that I was about to give up about finding the cause for it.

On these forums I have gotten so much good information about computers and read alot about EMI and other experiences. And I could relate to all these guys talking about how they struggled with same things as I did regarding input lag and gaming, while never finding the cause for it.

So I was thinking about this and how some people tried to mess with so many settings that never really shouldn't be messed with. Just think about it, a professional player that enter the stages of various events never cared about say to disable dynamic ticks and MSI mode and all that stuff, because when they play on so many different computers they aren't allowed to change anything of that. And that would also be unfair.

So, my opinion is that if you want to get professional in any game you can't be messing with these settings.

What I found out was that my realtek onboard audio was affecting my mouse movement in a bad way. First I thought it was the drivers, and different drivers would give me different feel and also different frame times. My fps was good but the overall game experience was shit, and also the realtek chip induced distortion in the audio playback. I uninstalled the driver and let windows deal with the driver (Microsoft HD audio), and all the sudden everything got smooth with the aim and mouse. But still it felt kind of off, like now I was getting some kind of acceleration instead but with a smooth mouse movement. Also, many sounds and directional audio was off in-game with the standard driver from MS.

Then I tried my professional audio USB interface and my mouse movement was better, but also became floaty and kind of bad. My frustration was getting to me and I was angry in alot of games... So I had another USB sound card, a cheap one from Trust. And wow when I tried this it was like playing a new game with a new computer, just wow the strain on the mouse was completely gone. Also I've disabled the onboard audio from bios (important).

That's it. Tldr: don't mess with too many settings. it should be fine from just installing windows and applying some general tweaks! If something is off with aiming or general gameplay feel, try another soundcard and disable onboard audio chip from bios.

My motherboard is Asus prime z370-a with the alc1220s chip.

f0rce

Re: My 2 cents about mouse and input lag

Post by f0rce » 04 Oct 2021, 09:45

I have no idea why you even answer if you don't have anything to say. My post was about the realtek audio causing bad mouse experience for me, it's not temporary for me and it's reproducible by simply enabling onboard audio again.

Maybe someone else's issue get solved from my information. As it did for me.

sem1h

Post by sem1h » 04 Oct 2021, 10:48

there is definetly something wrong with csgo audio
my game is really smooth with snd_mixahead 0.05

g00d8y3

Post by g00d8y3 » 05 Oct 2021, 04:38

f0rce wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 09:45
I have no idea why you even answer if you don't have anything to say. My post was about the realtek audio causing bad mouse experience for me, it's not temporary for me and it's reproducible by simply enabling onboard audio again.

I disabled hd audio controller and delete high definition audio in device manager didnt fix issue.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 05 Oct 2021, 07:18

f0rce wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 23:34
Hey there, I have been lurking around this forum for a long time and wanted to share my knowledge about this interesting topic.

I'm an old counter strike 1.6 player and computer entusiast that have had some issues with my particular PC setup for a couple of years now. While my PC is carefully built with quality parts and never really had a any big problems with it, It never translated in to any good performances in CSGO in particular.

I was getting frustrated lately because it felt that something wasn't on point with my aim and the overall consistency was lacking to say the least. The easy shots was never really easy, and it was to the point that I was about to give up about finding the cause for it.

On these forums I have gotten so much good information about computers and read alot about EMI and other experiences. And I could relate to all these guys talking about how they struggled with same things as I did regarding input lag and gaming, while never finding the cause for it.

So I was thinking about this and how some people tried to mess with so many settings that never really shouldn't be messed with. Just think about it, a professional player that enter the stages of various events never cared about say to disable dynamic ticks and MSI mode and all that stuff, because when they play on so many different computers they aren't allowed to change anything of that. And that would also be unfair.

So, my opinion is that if you want to get professional in any game you can't be messing with these settings.

What I found out was that my realtek onboard audio was affecting my mouse movement in a bad way. First I thought it was the drivers, and different drivers would give me different feel and also different frame times. My fps was good but the overall game experience was shit, and also the realtek chip induced distortion in the audio playback. I uninstalled the driver and let windows deal with the driver (Microsoft HD audio), and all the sudden everything got smooth with the aim and mouse. But still it felt kind of off, like now I was getting some kind of acceleration instead but with a smooth mouse movement. Also, many sounds and directional audio was off in-game with the standard driver from MS.

Then I tried my professional audio USB interface and my mouse movement was better, but also became floaty and kind of bad. My frustration was getting to me and I was angry in alot of games... So I had another USB sound card, a cheap one from Trust. And wow when I tried this it was like playing a new game with a new computer, just wow the strain on the mouse was completely gone. Also I've disabled the onboard audio from bios (important).

That's it. Tldr: don't mess with too many settings. it should be fine from just installing windows and applying some general tweaks! If something is off with aiming or general gameplay feel, try another soundcard and disable onboard audio chip from bios.

My motherboard is Asus prime z370-a with the alc1220s chip.
It just sounds like you offloaded the systems workload slightly by using your "professional audio USB interface/soundcard". I don't think it's bad to change settings, you just have to google & have a solid understanding. If anything your issue sounds like unstable RAM, & before you say that you're using XMP, that doesn't matter. I've seen kits come unstable stock many times. Even really bad thermals can cause some really odd behavior. Shit even my dumbass had my power supply cable slightly loose lol. There's so many things that can easily go wrong & If you're willing to do some minor bios tweaking you can really reduce your latency significantly or have your system more suitable close to real-time applications.

f0rce

Post by f0rce » 05 Oct 2021, 23:50

Well, as I understand what you mean this issue for me is reproducible with different drivers or disabling onboard audio. For me on my system. It definitely affects my mouse cursor movement, especially when playing games.

Don't know why , but it's very easy to test and also it was kind of the same on my old system. That rig also had a realtek chip. So yeah I just wanted to share my experience because it might help someone else as well.

Believe what you want... I just made this post to try to help others as it seems many people on this forums has unsolvable issues. This issue for me is probably only noticeable in fps games... So yeah for those who suffer from heavy mouse feeling and such should try it...

f0rce

Post by f0rce » 05 Oct 2021, 23:52

g00d8y3 wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 04:38
f0rce wrote:

I disabled hd audio controller and delete high definition audio in device manager didnt fix issue.
You need to disable onboard audio in bios.

g00d8y3

Post by g00d8y3 » 06 Oct 2021, 08:38

f0rce wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 23:52
g00d8y3 wrote:
f0rce wrote:

Hd audio controller is mean onboard audio.

f0rce

Post by f0rce » 06 Oct 2021, 09:21

g00d8y3 wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 08:38
f0rce wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 23:52
g00d8y3 wrote:
f0rce wrote:

Hd audio controller is mean onboard audio.
Yes ok. Well it was worth a try... For me it's a big difference in CSGO in particular when I'm shooting with the pistols. Maybe most people doesn't notice this , I dunno. You got realtek audio?

f0rce

Post by f0rce » 08 Oct 2021, 18:44

NOH wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 19:04
its degraded already aint it :D
?