Microstutter, Hitching on new PC

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
VenomLolo

Re: Microstutter, Hitching on new PC

Post by VenomLolo » 21 Oct 2021, 20:42

kokkatc wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 17:04
VenomLolo wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 16:43

I played for 17 minutes and this are the numbers im getting, while using rivatuner to see the frametime it spiked a little but i tried not to pay attention to it. maybe this is the best my pc can go?
https://ibb.co/X3NSVbM
If those are your numbers while gaming which puts tremendous load on your PC, you're in a good spot.

Honestly, there's a good deal more you can do. I just told you what I consider are some bare necessity things to take care to ensure you have a good baseline to work from. Looks like you got there!

If you're interested in lowering your DPC latency even further, you can adjust your interrupt affinity on your GPU and USB devices. Windows defaults mose device interrupt affinities to core 0 which is less than ideal. You can move specific devices to a different core spreading out the load which results in a higher performing lower latency machine. This is more of an advanced tweak/setting, but if you're interested I could point you in the right direction.

I would be more than happy to learn! and try

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 21 Oct 2021, 21:02

It came to my attention that when using HWinfo my latencymon spikes really hard and gives me the ACPI.sys latency, with hwinfo off no red spikes.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 22 Oct 2021, 13:30

VenomLolo wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 20:42
kokkatc wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 17:04
VenomLolo wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 16:43

I played for 17 minutes and this are the numbers im getting, while using rivatuner to see the frametime it spiked a little but i tried not to pay attention to it. maybe this is the best my pc can go?
https://ibb.co/X3NSVbM
If those are your numbers while gaming which puts tremendous load on your PC, you're in a good spot.

Honestly, there's a good deal more you can do. I just told you what I consider are some bare necessity things to take care to ensure you have a good baseline to work from. Looks like you got there!

If you're interested in lowering your DPC latency even further, you can adjust your interrupt affinity on your GPU and USB devices. Windows defaults mose device interrupt affinities to core 0 which is less than ideal. You can move specific devices to a different core spreading out the load which results in a higher performing lower latency machine. This is more of an advanced tweak/setting, but if you're interested I could point you in the right direction.

I would be more than happy to learn! and try
Alright. Please keep in mind this is an advanced tool, so get a clear understanding of what you're doing before you start changing cpu affinities (interrupts) on your devices and read up a bit on it first. In short this tool allows you to change the CPU Affinity of the interrupts on any given device. Windows by default places most devices on CORE 0. This causes a lot of congestion and limits the potential performance of your devices, GPU & USB in particular. I strongly recommend only changing CPU affinity on your GPU first and then USB controller second. There's just not really any data compelling DATA that performance will increase on devices other than your GPU or USB. Changing it on your NIC in my experience has virtually no impact, likely due to the fact that if you have RSS (receive side scaling) enabled, workload is already broken up across several cores.

Download Link for Microsoft Interrupt Affinity Tool:
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/mi ... nity-tool/

I'd change CPU affinity on your GPU first. So if you have an Nvidia RTX 2080 for example, it should be in the list. Remember to open up the application as an administrator. Changing your GPU is the easiest. You simply search for your GPU adapter, so Nvidia RTX 2080 in this case, select it, then click on set mask. A list w/ your core #s will populate. Since you have the 10700k with hyperthreading likely enabled, you will see 16 total cores. Each core has a thread, so you should see a total of 16. Core 1 is your Core 1, core 2 is core 1's thread. Core 3 is your Core 2, Core 4 is Core 2's Thread and so on. Count each core as every 2 (Hopefully that makes sense). Start by placing your GPU on Core 4, so in your case, select cores 6 & 7. Then select ok, and done. A prompt will populate asking you to restart your device, click ok. Your GPU driver will reset and your screen will go back momentarily, then come back. Doing this will yield the greatest DPC Latency reduction by setting core affinity on your GPU. It takes it off core 0 and places it on an independent core that isn't overloaded w/ other devices. Measure your DPC latency before and then after the change. You'll see a nice welcomed reduction.

Next you can try changing CPU affinity on the USB controller your USB mouse is connected to. This is trickier. You need to identify your USB controller's device ID so you can locate it in the list. To do this, open up device manager, click on view at the top, select 'View Devices by Connection.' You'll see a tree of devices populate below. Now you need to locate the usb controller your mouse is connected to. You'll have to expand trees that say something along the lines of 'PCI Root Complex.' Expand every tree until you start seeing your USB Controllers, often called something along the lines of 'Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)' or something similar. As you expand the tree, you'll see USB root hubs, then generic hubs, etc. Keep expanding until you see the actual devices connected to it, like your keyboard or mouse. Once you found the one showing your mouse is attached you'll know you have the right controller. Once you discover this, right click on the USB Host controller at the top of the tree and click properties. On the general tab you'll see 'Location." Location is your device ID/Location. It will look something like 'PCI Bus 0, Device 20, function 0.' This is what you need to identify the correct USB controller in the interrupt affinity program. Find it in the list, w/ the Location/Device ID matching, and change CPU affinity to core 2 or 3. Let's do 2 to start, so Cores 3 & 4 in your case. Click ok, apply, reset, done. Device will reset and you'll be in action. If the mouse doesn't come back, just unplug and plug it back in. It's also smart to reboot but this should be a realtime change that applies automatically.

Now if you want to revert your changes, you can go back into the interrupt affinity tool, find the device, click on delete mask, ok, apply, reset. Also, once again, it's always smart to set a restore point before making system changes should you goof up. If you intend to try this out, read up on it. Only change core affinities for your GPU and USB device.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 22 Oct 2021, 13:35

VenomLolo wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 21:02
It came to my attention that when using HWinfo my latencymon spikes really hard and gives me the ACPI.sys latency, with hwinfo off no red spikes.
Yes, some apps are poorly coded and can interfere w/ Latency Monitor results and even raise your overall system latency. Epic Launcher for example is a mess. Whenever this is running, my DPC latency jumps all over the place so I close before I play a game.

Maybe try a different hwinfo version if you're going to keep this running in the background.

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 23 Oct 2021, 15:12

kokkatc wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 13:35
VenomLolo wrote:
Yes, some apps are poorly coded and can interfere w/ Latency Monitor results and even raise your overall system latency. Epic Launcher for example is a mess. Whenever this is running, my DPC latency jumps all over the place so I close before I play a game.

Maybe try a different hwinfo version if you're going to keep this running in the background.
It appears I went back to square 1 when I updated the latest GPU drivers fuck. It felt so horrible that I didn't wanna play anymore

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 23 Oct 2021, 23:35

VenomLolo wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 15:12
kokkatc wrote:
VenomLolo wrote:

It appears I went back to square 1 when I updated the latest GPU drivers fuck. It felt so horrible that I didn't wanna play anymore
I highly doubt you went back to square one, it doesn't work that way. When updating GPU drivers you want to use DDU to uninstall (in safe mode) current drivers, then reinstall after your system reboots. New GPU drivers should default to MSI mode but if you changed CPU affinity interrupts on your gpu, you'll have to do that over again.

In your control panel make sure it's set to maximum performance, highest refresh rate and make sure vsync is DISABLED. Also, if you're looking for low latency, change low latency mode to ON. As I'm sure you know you can set this to your game profile in the control panel.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 24 Oct 2021, 14:52

kokkatc wrote:
VenomLolo wrote:

That’s because hwinfo is constantly polling for hardware updates. Come on guys 😂

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 24 Oct 2021, 14:52

VenomLolo wrote:
kokkatc wrote:
VenomLolo wrote:

You have to set msi mode and your gpu affinity after installing a new driver 😒

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 29 Oct 2021, 06:47

Eonds wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 14:52
VenomLolo wrote:
kokkatc wrote:
VenomLolo wrote:

That's already set I'm still hitching in some games.

Stimpy7314

Post by Stimpy7314 » 29 Oct 2021, 20:28

VenomLolo wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 06:47
Eonds wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 14:52
VenomLolo wrote:
kokkatc wrote:

That's already set I'm still hitching in some games.
Disable cppc and cppc preferred cores in bios.