Microstutter, Hitching on new PC

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
VenomLolo

Re: Microstutter, Hitching on new PC

Post by VenomLolo » 14 Oct 2021, 03:56

Installed windows 10 again on the ssd wiped it with disk part while booting the USB with windows 10. I tried a couple of games and it felt again better with a little stutter for playing them for the first time j guess. I'll try more later today. Gotta go to work in about 2 hours.u.u

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 18 Oct 2021, 10:00

Installed windows 10 again and still suffer from the stutters so now im using this program called ParkControl and somehow its kinda helping me and im not feeling the stutters as often as they used to appear, I mean I did have like a stutter but it happened only once and never happened again, currently im playing back 4 blood, Im grateful for learning all that i have learned with this situation but it seems im unable to fully fix this and im about to give up, i also tried using Battle encoder shirase to limit cpu but when running this app it appears steams denies the app and it stops working, anyways ParkControl is still working with the bitsun power plan option and I really want to believe its helping me. Actually i can feel its helping but as usual im always expecting the stutter to happen because it has already happened with this program running but as i said before it happened maybe once and never happened again. I realluy wonder. What do i have to do? As of right now im using vertical sync on fast on the nvidia control panel and 141 fps lock, The only thing that makes me real sad is that i really really believe that with my setup i shouldnt be experiencing this. Bios settings back to normal and only activated XMP and set asus multicore enchancement off thats it. dont let this discussion die please :C :(

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 18 Oct 2021, 16:14

VenomLolo wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 09:51
I´m going to try and explain my situation as detailed as i can sorry for long post.

I built my pc around december 2020 and it had this components:

-Ryzen 7 3700x
-Evga Rtx 3070 Xc3 Ultra
-G skill Trident Neo 16gbs 3600
-AsRock Velocita B550
-PSU Cougar BXM 850 Bronze
-1 SSD Nvme SK Hynix 500TB
-1 HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB
-Case Cougar Blazer
-AIO Cougar Aqua 240
-Cougar Fans

At first I didnt had a monitor so I used my 55 inch samsung TV as monitor and it only refreshes at 60hz so I was playing like that and it was perfect, I remember downloading my first game being Devil may cry 5 which uses a very optimized game engine, I remember only having set my xmp profile on bios nothing else, Around February its when I started feeling the stutter issues and I was able to confirm while using an OSD (afterburner and rivatuner) If I tried capping the game at 60 fps with Vsync I was able to see the framerate go from 60 to 55 and the stutter was very noticeable, if left uncapped I suffered from screen tearing and stutter.

Fast forward, I bought my first monitor, 1440P, 144Hz, Msi Optix Mag 321CQR monitor. with freesync tech.
According to what I was able to read it says that the gpu was throwing a lot of frames and that the TV was not able to like process it and thats why I was seeing the hitch/stutters. Unfortunately this was not the case, and with this brand new monitor I was able to see the stutters at 144hz (GREAT!) I started using GPUZ to monitor the Gpu activity but I was not able to understand the graphs but I was able to understand that my clock speeds fluctuated a lot and the gpu usage as well even while setting "preferred max performance on" by this time I was not this knowledgeable (im still not) with Gpuz. So i thought my new rtx 3070 was the issue, I got a deal and traded my 5 months old card with a sealed RX 6800, DDu the drivers in safe mode, plugged the card and started playing some games and to my surprise I was experiencing the same situation with my brand new GPU (now team AMD) I felt really unlucky because 1 week ago I just acquired this new monitor and now this new gpu and the issues was not fixed.. Several "technicians" saw my pc but none of them were able to see what was going on, most of them said that it was the game bad optimization, (i was not able to play the sims 4 for example this one stutter really bad, Final fantasy 15 was unplayable fps drops from 144 to 125 and this felt really hard, )

Fast forward I changed my PSU from cougar bxm 850 to EVGA supernova 750 Platinum. (Because one technician told me it was power issues)
Same situation with games, I forgot to say that this doesnt happen with Esport Games such as Valorant, League of legends, and Overwatch, With Warzone the problem continues. So I continue checking with GPUZ and again I was able to see clock speed fluctuation with my new RX 6800, went to radeon settings and created profiles for every single game I played and set my max mhz to for example 2450 and the min to 2350mhz in order to maintain some stability with the clocks, this didnt helped at all.

I was also able to see some lines on gpuz that for me i interpret as drops, i will be using this internet image for example.

on gpuz this readings occur on this same sections around power related graphs,

fast forward
I changed from ryzen to intel. And sold my Rx 6800 and grabbed a Evga Rtx 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Bought:
-Intel i7 10700k
-Asus Rog Strix Z490 F
-Evga Rtx 3080 FTW3 Ultra

DDU safe mode
Fresh Installed Windows
Installed Chipset Drivers

At this time it has been less over a year and I had changed my pc completely but for my rams and storage drives.
I have memtest my rams and no errors.

Now with my current setup I was able to see with afterburner while testing some games that my new cpu temperature was working really weird in comparison to my old ryzen 7 3700x

temps would be around 50 degrees and go all the way up to 75 in a second then go all the way down back to 60 and jump again back to 75 maybe 80 and it fluctuated a lot, someone told me to turn off asus MCE? multi core enhancement? So I went to Bios and set that off, I also went to the Asus bios and update it, Meanwhile on the bios I also set the frequency I wanted to 4.9 not 5.1, With some other settings in bios I kinda locked the max temp to be 75 with a voltage of 1.325 if im correct, Because with other settings and MCE ON the cpu package and individual cores would get really hot even in running in STOCK it was getting hot. This information was reflected on HWINFO it gave me yes thermal throttled (in stock and with other settings) So now I shifted from a latency problem to a brand new cpu motherboard combo getting hot AF. Somehow I think found a stability with 4.9 and the voltage and running Cinebench my cpu doesnt get that hot and hwinfo is not giving me thermal throttle **NEED TO FURTHER TEST**, I need help on how to further test my bios settings for my cpu. ¿If they are set correctly? but when reading the afterburner graphs i can see sometimes the individual cpus fluctuate a little but it gets as hot as 65-70 which I think is ok.

**STUTTER STILL EXIST**

GPU not overclocked, Boost lock in EVGA PX1 Software and fans at 80%, Sliders set to max as well.

Nvidia control panel setup profiles for every individual game.

*141 max frames
* preferred max performance
*low latency ultra
*highest refresh rate available

Setting up this changes on the control panel seems to help on some games for example World warZ aftermath is playable, Aragami 2 is playable as well but with a minor stutter every now and then.

But unfortunately with other games this is not the case, I really wonder why my fps drops this hard, I have wasted an incredible amount of money trying to fix this but to no avail, I have also exhausted myself trying to figure out what is going on. Technicians in my country scammed me saying its the games fault.

I used latencyMon like 3 times, in one instance it says my pc was suitable but the graph reading the current latency was fluctuating a lot.
in other instance with some minor tweaks it appears to be not suitable, please keep in mind that this was with my ryzen 7 cpu, When I uninstalled Realtek ethernet driver 2.5 and installed another one that also said 2.5 the graph reading the current latency was not spiking anymore.

I have not tried latencyMon with my new intel build.(important)

I have tried everything under the sun.

Different bios settings
No daisy chain pci cables
Fresh windows install like 6 times already.
Custom windows install (ghost spectre windows)
chipset drivers installed
device manager drivers updated
ULPS set to 0 (AMD RX6800)
Graphic settings to max performance with a game profile
Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling on
Gamebar off
Xbox bar off

Basically most of my games will stutter, for example im playing alien fire team and im walking a little bit and frames are at 141 then they drop to 100 while entering to a new room and go back up to 141 stutter is very visible and graphics are not at ultra, I mainly try to set graphics like at mid high with no anti aliasing and shadows to min because all im trying to do is to play fluidly but unfortunately im unable to do, I have wasted so much money and Im alredy depressed because Im unable to enjoy my "descent gaming pc"

Even if the drop is around a couple of frames its still visible for example if the drop is around 141 to 135 it still stutters,
If i lock the game at 60fps it will drop to 55 and it will be visible, if i locked the game to 120 it will drop to 110 or 100 and visible as well... might as well play at 30fps at this rate.

This is my vimeo profile
https://vimeo.com/user144570294

you can see some GTA 5 gameplay and how the stutter manifest in game
and some little nightmare gameplay and how this also happens.
I dont know what else to add thanks for reading in advance!
Thought I would drop my 2cents since I'm an incessant tweaker and very sensitive to input lag and I feel your pain :|. In my experience of optimizing windows PC's for gaming performance I find that the main offenders to stuttering are power saving settings and/or throttling. I feel a lot of people have the misconception that having a modern and powerful PC should be enough to eliminate gaming performance related issues but that's just not the case. The more modern the system, the more power saving mechanisms you have to deal w/ which all tend to negatively impact gaming performance.

Here's what I consider to be bare necessity tweaks on a gaming PC platform:

I see you switched to the 10700k so I'll stick w/ Intel suggestions...

Bios:

Disable: C-States, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo (boost), Thermal Monitor <-- All of these throttle the CPU, C-States being the main offender.
Memory: Make sure XMP is ENABLED, also known as DOCP or EOCP depending on manufacturer. Make sure you're getting the most out of your memory.
10700k OC: Unlike AMD, you want to do a static overclock for best results. You'll need to do your own research to achieve the best OC for your cpu.

Windows:

Drivers: Make sure one of your drivers isn't faulty. Faulty drivers can cause stuttering and if every time you reinstall your OS and it automatically loads a faulty driver, it's likely your games will stutter. The most common culprits for faulty drivers are sound and network (NIC). You can use latency monitor to see if any drivers are spiking and if so, you can try a different driver version and check again.

Latency Monitor is a good tool to use to optimize your system. It's designed specially to help diagnose issues on systems running real-time audio but is also useful for gaming systems. It can help you discover faulty drivers and potential latency issues your system suffers from. Keep in mind it doesn't tell you the whole story but a good tool to use nonetheless for troubleshooting. If you install latency monitor and you see nothing but red and spikes, your system has issues (configuration, drivers, settings wise).

Make sure you're using a high performance power plan. Bitsum park control is good. You can also just enable 'Ultimate Performance Plan' which is pretty much just as good. You can google how to do this. It requires a powershell entry to enable the plan. Go into your powerplan and disable 'USB Selective Suspend' and 'PCI Express\Link State Power Management.'

MSI Mode: Make sure your GPU, USB, Network card are all in MSI mode. Mose new Nvidia GPU Drivers automatically set the GPU to MSI mode these days but if you're on an older driver you have to do it manually. MSI > LINE BASED MODE. Frametimes will be smoother and more consistent in MSI mode. You can download a tool to do this for you or you can do it manually. Once again, google if you want more info.

Windows Update: You want to disable windows 10 update delivery optimization so your bandwidth isn't getting destroyed randomly while you're gaming giving you inconsistent gaming experiences. Disable this, it's not needed, it just burns through network bandwidth randomly.

Advanced Tweak (This one won't fix stuttering but it will increase gaming performance a good deal):

Microsoft interrupt affinity tool is a great tool to increase performance by changing the interrupt affinity on your devices. Microsoft by default places most interrupt affinities on CORE 0. This is more of an advanced tweak and I wouldn't recommend jumping in to this. You have to be very careful w/ this tool because if you change interrupt affinity on say one of your harddrives accidently, you can brick your system. Read up on it if you're interested, but definitely do not touch if you're uncomfortable or out of your element.

The above gives you a solid baseline for eliminating culprits that can cause stuttering, in my experience. There are literally thousands of other things you can try but this is a good start.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 18 Oct 2021, 16:24

I used to have stutter but not now, i think i fixed it by messing with bios.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 18 Oct 2021, 19:10

kokkatc wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 16:14
VenomLolo wrote:
I´m going to try and explain my situation as detailed as i can sorry for long post.

-Ryzen 7 3700x
-Evga Rtx 3070 Xc3 Ultra
-AsRock Velocita B550
-Case Cougar Blazer
-AIO Cougar Aqua 240
-Cougar Fans

At first I didnt had a monitor so I used my 55 inch samsung TV as monitor and it only refreshes at 60hz so I was playing like that and it was perfect, I remember downloading my first game being Devil may cry 5 which uses a very optimized game engine, I remember only having set my xmp profile on bios nothing else, Around February its when I started feeling the stutter issues and I was able to confirm while using an OSD (afterburner and rivatuner) If I tried capping the game at 60 fps with Vsync I was able to see the framerate go from 60 to 55 and the stutter was very noticeable, if left uncapped I suffered from screen tearing and stutter.

Fast forward, I bought my first monitor, 1440P, 144Hz, Msi Optix Mag 321CQR monitor. with freesync tech.
According to what I was able to read it says that the gpu was throwing a lot of frames and that the TV was not able to like process it and thats why I was seeing the hitch/stutters. Unfortunately this was not the case, and with this brand new monitor I was able to see the stutters at 144hz (GREAT!) I started using GPUZ to monitor the Gpu activity but I was not able to understand the graphs but I was able to understand that my clock speeds fluctuated a lot and the gpu usage as well even while setting "preferred max performance on" by this time I was not this knowledgeable (im still not) with Gpuz. So i thought my new rtx 3070 was the issue, I got a deal and traded my 5 months old card with a sealed RX 6800, DDu the drivers in safe mode, plugged the card and started playing some games and to my surprise I was experiencing the same situation with my brand new GPU (now team AMD) I felt really unlucky because 1 week ago I just acquired this new monitor and now this new gpu and the issues was not fixed.. Several "technicians" saw my pc but none of them were able to see what was going on, most of them said that it was the game bad optimization, (i was not able to play the sims 4 for example this one stutter really bad, Final fantasy 15 was unplayable fps drops from 144 to 125 and this felt really hard, )

Fast forward I changed my PSU from cougar bxm 850 to EVGA supernova 750 Platinum. (Because one technician told me it was power issues)
Same situation with games, I forgot to say that this doesnt happen with Esport Games such as Valorant, League of legends, and Overwatch, With Warzone the problem continues. So I continue checking with GPUZ and again I was able to see clock speed fluctuation with my new RX 6800, went to radeon settings and created profiles for every single game I played and set my max mhz to for example 2450 and the min to 2350mhz in order to maintain some stability with the clocks, this didnt helped at all.

I was also able to see some lines on gpuz that for me i interpret as drops, i will be using this internet image for example.

fast forward
I changed from ryzen to intel. And sold my Rx 6800 and grabbed a Evga Rtx 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Bought:
-Intel i7 10700k
-Asus Rog Strix Z490 F

DDU safe mode
Fresh Installed Windows

At this time it has been less over a year and I had changed my pc completely but for my rams and storage drives.

Now with my current setup I was able to see with afterburner while testing some games that my new cpu temperature was working really weird in comparison to my old ryzen 7 3700x

temps would be around 50 degrees and go all the way up to 75 in a second then go all the way down back to 60 and jump again back to 75 maybe 80 and it fluctuated a lot, someone told me to turn off asus MCE? multi core enhancement? So I went to Bios and set that off, I also went to the Asus bios and update it, Meanwhile on the bios I also set the frequency I wanted to 4.9 not 5.1, With some other settings in bios I kinda locked the max temp to be 75 with a voltage of 1.325 if im correct, Because with other settings and MCE ON the cpu package and individual cores would get really hot even in running in STOCK it was getting hot. This information was reflected on HWINFO it gave me yes thermal throttled (in stock and with other settings) So now I shifted from a latency problem to a brand new cpu motherboard combo getting hot AF. Somehow I think found a stability with 4.9 and the voltage and running Cinebench my cpu doesnt get that hot and hwinfo is not giving me thermal throttle **NEED TO FURTHER TEST**, I need help on how to further test my bios settings for my cpu. ¿If they are set correctly? but when reading the afterburner graphs i can see sometimes the individual cpus fluctuate a little but it gets as hot as 65-70 which I think is ok.

**STUTTER STILL EXIST**

GPU not overclocked, Boost lock in EVGA PX1 Software and fans at 80%, Sliders set to max as well.

*141 max frames
*low latency ultra

Setting up this changes on the control panel seems to help on some games for example World warZ aftermath is playable, Aragami 2 is playable as well but with a minor stutter every now and then.

But unfortunately with other games this is not the case, I really wonder why my fps drops this hard, I have wasted an incredible amount of money trying to fix this but to no avail, I have also exhausted myself trying to figure out what is going on. Technicians in my country scammed me saying its the games fault.

I used latencyMon like 3 times, in one instance it says my pc was suitable but the graph reading the current latency was fluctuating a lot.
in other instance with some minor tweaks it appears to be not suitable, please keep in mind that this was with my ryzen 7 cpu, When I uninstalled Realtek ethernet driver 2.5 and installed another one that also said 2.5 the graph reading the current latency was not spiking anymore.

Different bios settings
Gamebar off
Xbox bar off

Basically most of my games will stutter, for example im playing alien fire team and im walking a little bit and frames are at 141 then they drop to 100 while entering to a new room and go back up to 141 stutter is very visible and graphics are not at ultra, I mainly try to set graphics like at mid high with no anti aliasing and shadows to min because all im trying to do is to play fluidly but unfortunately im unable to do, I have wasted so much money and Im alredy depressed because Im unable to enjoy my "descent gaming pc"

Even if the drop is around a couple of frames its still visible for example if the drop is around 141 to 135 it still stutters,
If i lock the game at 60fps it will drop to 55 and it will be visible, if i locked the game to 120 it will drop to 110 or 100 and visible as well... might as well play at 30fps at this rate.

This is my vimeo profile

Thought I would drop my 2cents since I'm an incessant tweaker and very sensitive to input lag and I feel your pain :|. In my experience of optimizing windows PC's for gaming performance I find that the main offenders to stuttering are power saving settings and/or throttling. I feel a lot of people have the misconception that having a modern and powerful PC should be enough to eliminate gaming performance related issues but that's just not the case. The more modern the system, the more power saving mechanisms you have to deal w/ which all tend to negatively impact gaming performance.

Bios:

Disable: C-States, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo (boost), Thermal Monitor <-- All of these throttle the CPU, C-States being the main offender.
Memory: Make sure XMP is ENABLED, also known as DOCP or EOCP depending on manufacturer. Make sure you're getting the most out of your memory.
10700k OC: Unlike AMD, you want to do a static overclock for best results. You'll need to do your own research to achieve the best OC for your cpu.

Windows:

Drivers: Make sure one of your drivers isn't faulty. Faulty drivers can cause stuttering and if every time you reinstall your OS and it automatically loads a faulty driver, it's likely your games will stutter. The most common culprits for faulty drivers are sound and network (NIC). You can use latency monitor to see if any drivers are spiking and if so, you can try a different driver version and check again.

Latency Monitor is a good tool to use to optimize your system. It's designed specially to help diagnose issues on systems running real-time audio but is also useful for gaming systems. It can help you discover faulty drivers and potential latency issues your system suffers from. Keep in mind it doesn't tell you the whole story but a good tool to use nonetheless for troubleshooting. If you install latency monitor and you see nothing but red and spikes, your system has issues (configuration, drivers, settings wise).

Make sure you're using a high performance power plan. Bitsum park control is good. You can also just enable 'Ultimate Performance Plan' which is pretty much just as good. You can google how to do this. It requires a powershell entry to enable the plan. Go into your powerplan and disable 'USB Selective Suspend' and 'PCI Express\Link State Power Management.'

MSI Mode: Make sure your GPU, USB, Network card are all in MSI mode. Mose new Nvidia GPU Drivers automatically set the GPU to MSI mode these days but if you're on an older driver you have to do it manually. MSI > LINE BASED MODE. Frametimes will be smoother and more consistent in MSI mode. You can download a tool to do this for you or you can do it manually. Once again, google if you want more info.

Windows Update: You want to disable windows 10 update delivery optimization so your bandwidth isn't getting destroyed randomly while you're gaming giving you inconsistent gaming experiences. Disable this, it's not needed, it just burns through network bandwidth randomly.

Advanced Tweak (This one won't fix stuttering but it will increase gaming performance a good deal):

Microsoft interrupt affinity tool is a great tool to increase performance by changing the interrupt affinity on your devices. Microsoft by default places most interrupt affinities on CORE 0. This is more of an advanced tweak and I wouldn't recommend jumping in to this. You have to be very careful w/ this tool because if you change interrupt affinity on say one of your harddrives accidently, you can brick your system. Read up on it if you're interested, but definitely do not touch if you're uncomfortable or out of your element.

The above gives you a solid baseline for eliminating culprits that can cause stuttering, in my experience. There are literally thousands of other things you can try but this is a good start.

AMD or intel don't use PBO / ITVB (turbo boost etc), always use a static overclock. The cpu cannot execute instructions during frequency boosting.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 18 Oct 2021, 19:14

Mugabi wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 16:24
That's hilarious because that's what I've been saying, and if I recall correctly you argued with me about it. Now you finally listened? :lol:

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 18 Oct 2021, 20:38

Eonds wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 19:14
Mugabi wrote:
That's hilarious because that's what I've been saying, and if I recall correctly you argued with me about it. Now you finally listened? :lol:
I still have input lag hit reg issues and slowness in kboard n mouse

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 18 Oct 2021, 22:49

Mugabi wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 20:38
Eonds wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 19:14
Mugabi wrote:
I still have input lag hit reg issues and slowness in kboard n mouse
You put so much trust into your computer/game dev's lol. Most game servers barley operate @ 60 tick rates, and have shitty net code. On top of that, your pc is 100% not optimized for latency & i bet i could probably fix it for you. I almost like seeing how far people will go until they realize it's their own ignorance of computers.

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 19 Oct 2021, 00:47

Mugabi wrote:
It would be extremely helpful for me and for somebody else stumbling across this thread if you share what did you changed on your bios.

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 19 Oct 2021, 00:57

kokkatc wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 16:14
VenomLolo wrote:

-Ryzen 7 3700x
-Evga Rtx 3070 Xc3 Ultra
-AsRock Velocita B550
-Case Cougar Blazer
-AIO Cougar Aqua 240
-Cougar Fans

fast forward

Bought:
-Intel i7 10700k
-Asus Rog Strix Z490 F

DDU safe mode
Fresh Installed Windows

**STUTTER STILL EXIST**

*141 max frames
*low latency ultra

Different bios settings
Gamebar off
Xbox bar off

This is my vimeo profile

Bios:

Windows:

Thank you so much for answering me. Because the thread was left behind and in my fear that I'll never game the way im supposed to I continue digging a little bit more. As I said before I was using park control but then I landed on "fr33thy's" optimization video and was able to follow it not on point because for some reason some of the stuff he included there was not able to execute dunno why but i was able to install the bitsum on power plans and therefore I deleted park control from my apps (mostly because I believe I don't need the app now?) I have used latency monitor before and it's actually really weird sometimes I have red lines sometimes I don't. I gotta be honest I haven't used latency mon in a while because I don't wanna be letdown because I'm able to see what it indicates but unable to fix it because ACPI.sys wtf is that xd? Or maybe some.other type of driver causing issues but to be honest I have not felt anything yet since installing w10 again. and I appreciate the detailed reply you gave me. I will be walking through the steps you indicate to see if I'm able to eliminate stutters forever. I have some of those options on my bios disabled for example c states. Gotta take a look at the others. If I disabled the turbo boost would I be affecting performance? I'm pretty ignorant about computers I won't lie but I have learned a little while troubleshooting this PC it has been less than a year and I have changed the PC completely but the storage and memory. I confirm GPU is on msi mode. And I believe I will let advanced tweak be I'm completely out of my element there :v