Microstutter, Hitching on new PC

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
VenomLolo

Re: Microstutter, Hitching on new PC

Post by VenomLolo » 11 Nov 2021, 02:33

https://imgur.com/a/bZlEutJ

Frametime Spikes while playing back 4 blood

Im back in square 1

ko4

Post by ko4 » 11 Nov 2021, 06:31

VenomLolo wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 02:33

Im back in square 1
That graph is very hard to read

Would be great if you could upload like 10 minutes of gameplay with a frametime graph and 1% 0.1% lows showing
I play b4b as well so i can do the same and compare

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 11 Nov 2021, 08:14

ko4 wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 06:31
VenomLolo wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 02:33

Im back in square 1
That graph is very hard to read

Would be great if you could upload like 10 minutes of gameplay with a frametime graph and 1% 0.1% lows showing
I play b4b as well so i can do the same and compare
Thank you for replying I'm not very knowledgeable with software and the correct procedure to capture this information for me to provide to you. If you can please direct me with the steps to be able to get the complete information I will really appreciate it. Also just a little more context. This stutters started around February when I was having Ryzen 7 3700x and a rtx 3070, purchased this 1440p 144hz (fresync gsync compatible) monitor in hopes to fix the situation but to no avail. Fast forward now I have Intel and a 3080, and suffering from the same situation literal changed everything but the SSD hdd and rams. Rams already memtested and passed. If you read a little bit this thread you will be able to see immediately that I'm looking at latencymon instead of my afterburner frametime readings I just (a week ago) learned that this spikes on the frametime are the equivalent of in game stutters and such. I have read that having RTSS to lock the frames help but unfortunately I don't know how to set rtss for games individually I don't want to set 141fps globally I want to set it for specific applications/games but for some reason when I add the app to rivatuner it doesn't work, it just work in global settings and for example Valorant and League of legends doesn't suffer from stutters that's why I don't want to lock the fps for these 2 games. But for the others well i have already tried setting rtss globally for 141 to get a better frametime but this didn't help at all. So Im not having any settings with riva tuner. But in Nvidia control panel I'm locking my games at 141 prefer high performance,texture filter to performance and vsync on. (Sometimes I use ultra low latency sometimes I dont mainly I use it to test if my frametime gets stable)

I have also tried different combinations including the options inside the monitor itself for example response time normal or fast or fastest this last one dims the monitor backlight for some reason. Fresync off or on with the zero latency option off or on already tried those as well. No startup apps just precision X1 and afterburner. Did fr33thy's optimization guide.. yes games are on hdd but i already tried moving games to my SSD and unplugging my hdd and same result. Gpu no daisy chain. Installed windows like 25 times now literally. Used snappy driver installer for drivers. Set cores all sync to 48

All boosts off only turbo on because it I turn it off it won't boot at 4800 but it will be at the stock MHz.

Also tried HDMI :v

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 11 Nov 2021, 21:59

https://ibb.co/7r9C3ff

This red line depicts where the game loads and all, all these other spikes are from loading and stuff.
Nvidia control panel settings max frames 141, ultra low latency on, triple buffer on, Vsync on, Texture filter performance, gsync compatibility enabled (my monitor is freesync) preferred refresh rate highest available.

StutterinPc

Post by StutterinPc » 13 Sep 2023, 18:21

Hey man, did you fix it? I have the same problem

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 14 Sep 2023, 03:05

VenomLolo wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 21:59
https://ibb.co/7r9C3ff

This red line depicts where the game loads and all, all these other spikes are from loading and stuff.
Nvidia control panel settings max frames 141, ultra low latency on, triple buffer on, Vsync on, Texture filter performance, gsync compatibility enabled (my monitor is freesync) preferred refresh rate highest available.
Not all games properly react to having Ultra Low Latency set to On or even Ultra. If the game offers Nvidia Reflex this will take precedence over what is configured in NVCP. So test this feature out with off as well. In a lot of cases the game reacted poorly to it in my case. (plus On/Ultra only really benefit if you're GPU bound on the game, or fully using the GPU to a high usage number)

Wouldn't really recommend using Triple Buffering. Extra input latency at a chance for better frame rate output, but this nearly anywhere the case.
Vsync On (nvcp) and capping your frame rate to -3 of your max refresh rate is indeed recommended (if using adaptive sync / Gsync), you can use either nvcp for a per-game or RTSS (toggle Global to Off for detection and add the application directly to RTSS to allow on a per-game configuration of frame rate capping!)

Otherwise the red line may come from background services, programs, and things that take up interrupts and giving you this micro stutter.
I know that Windows Defender background scans love to do this hitching up in precise intervals to scan very slowly a file by file.
Doing a manual full scan is often much quicker and removes the need to do it on the background. Check to see if MsMpEng.exe is running and doing little CPU usages at intervals. That'll be likely the cause of micro stutter.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you