Dpc latency spikes

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Stimpy7314

Dpc latency spikes

Post by Stimpy7314 » 05 Oct 2021, 15:10

How can i reduce the dpc spikes of tcpip.sys, nvlddmkm.sys, ntoskrnl.sys and ndis.sys. They spike up when watching a youtube video. Like around 200/300 I want them as low as possible

FPSMaster

Re: Dpc latency spikes

Post by FPSMaster » 05 Oct 2021, 15:23

Stimpy7314 wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:10
How can i reduce the dpc spikes of tcpip.sys, nvlddmkm.sys, ntoskrnl.sys and ndis.sys. They spike up when watching a youtube video. Like around 200/300 I want them as low as possible
why do you want them to have them low as possible, if you watch a youtube video? Thats normal that DPC spikes up when doing certain tasks. The question is how high. In your case, youre totally fine!
If you really want to have lower DPC latency, you need to do many tweaks...

What can help:
-Optimize your BIOS for lowest lag and highest performance (You need to know what you are doing! Check out "fr33thy" on youtube, he made some good videos about BIOS tweaks)
-OC your CPU correctly
-Reinstall windows
-Make BCDEDITS with cmd
-Disable pagefiling
-disable certain devices in the device manager
-bount your GPU and USB controller to different cores
-enable "MSI Mode" for your GPU and USB controller with the interrupt affinity policy tool

there is actually so much stuff you can do.
Those are basic things that can help. Also, this mainly helps for your overall system input lag, but also for DPC! (the input lag is the time until a mouse move gets displayed on your monitor)
If you think latency mon can show the overall system latency, thats wrong... system latency and DPC interrupts are 2 different things! Input Lag is 80% hardware and maybe 20% software based, but DPC is mainly driver based!
But imo, its not worth doing this just for getting better DPC values, because this wont make a noticable change in your case!

Stimpy7314

Post by Stimpy7314 » 05 Oct 2021, 15:34

FPSMaster wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:23
Stimpy7314 wrote:
why do you want them to have them low as possible, if you watch a youtube video? Thats normal that DPC spikes up when doing certain tasks. The question is how high. In your case, youre totally fine!

What can help:
-Optimize your BIOS for lowest lag and highest performance (You need to know what you are doing! Check out "fr33thy" on youtube, he made some good videos about BIOS tweaks)
-OC your CPU correctly
-Reinstall windows
-Make BCDEDITS with cmd
-Disable pagefiling
-enable "MSI Mode" for your GPU and USB controller with the interrupt affinity policy tool

Those are basic things that can help. Also, this mainly helps for your overall system input lag, but also for DPC! (the input lag is the time until a mouse move gets displayed on your monitor)
If you think latency mon can show the overall system latency, thats wrong... system latency and DPC interrupts are 2 different things! Input Lag is 80% hardware and maybe 20% software based, but DPC is mainly driver based!
But imo, its not worth doing this just for getting better DPC values, because this wont make a noticable change in your case!
Thank u for awnserwing my question.

Idk if u red my post about apex but the problem still exists even in windows 11. You're name sounds familiar thats why

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 05 Oct 2021, 15:39

Stimpy7314 wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:34
FPSMaster wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:23
Stimpy7314 wrote:

What can help:
-OC your CPU correctly
-Reinstall windows
-Make BCDEDITS with cmd
-Disable pagefiling

Thank u for awnserwing my question.

Idk if u red my post about apex but the problem still exists even in windows 11. You're name sounds familiar thats why
Apex stutters are tied to their poor servers, not to your PC. You cant do anything about that!
Yes, server issues can cause massive stutters, even stutters for multiple seconds! PUBG had the same problem in the early days, same goes with many other games. I dont talk about high PING or packet loss.

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 05 Oct 2021, 15:43

Of course this only applies if you know your PC is fine, and every other game runs fine. Then you can draw such a conclusion.

Stimpy7314

Post by Stimpy7314 » 05 Oct 2021, 15:48

FPSMaster wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:43
Of course this only applies if you know your PC is fine, and every other game runs fine. Then you can draw such a conclusion.
But why do streamers not complain about it? And still have a smooth experience. Do they not see it, might be it.

When playing games my mouse feels like a brick too. Might be because my desk is small and i dont even have room for my arms to rest. I move my mouse with my wrist. After a hour of playing my whole arm hurts. But thats a problem i can solve myself, haha. Buying a new desk ofcourse

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 05 Oct 2021, 16:04

Stimpy7314 wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:48
FPSMaster wrote:
But why do streamers not complain about it? And still have a smooth experience. Do they not see it, might be it.

When playing games my mouse feels like a brick too. Might be because my desk is small and i dont even have room for my arms to rest. I move my mouse with my wrist. After a hour of playing my whole arm hurts. But thats a problem i can solve myself, haha. Buying a new desk ofcourse
Those stutters are pretty special. They wont impact your gameplay significantly, but if youre a very experience player, and you look for stuff like that, it can easily get on your nerves. Alot of streamers probably dont even reconize those stutter. But I saw it even trough the streams. And those stutters occur dynamically. Sometimes, they are gone for a couple of minutes, then they are there again.

Can you tell me, how much FPS do you get? How much HZ do you play on? Is your CPU at 100% utilization (that will cause heavy stutters too) did you monitor your frame time graph? Do you see big spikes on your frame time graph? Even if those things are fine in your case, you still get those little server stutters, but im wondering if its really just the server problem, and not your hardware...

Regarding your second point, thats most likely Input Lag. As I said, its the time until a physical mouse movement gets displayed on the screen! This is mostly affected by your GPU/FPS/HZ/VSync, then your CPU/RAM/SSD/HDD, then various settings I described (Bios settings, windows settings, game settings etc etc.) The input lag also varies from game to game.

You can quickly test how you respond to input lag. If you set vsync on, it will massively increase the overall input lag. Turn it on, and see how it feels... its quiet noticeable!

Stimpy7314

Post by Stimpy7314 » 05 Oct 2021, 16:14

FPSMaster wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 16:04
Stimpy7314 wrote:
FPSMaster wrote:

Those stutters are pretty special. They wont impact your gameplay significantly, but if youre a very experience player, and you look for stuff like that, it can easily get on your nerves. Alot of streamers probably dont even reconize those stutter. But I saw it even trough the streams. And those stutters occur dynamically. Sometimes, they are gone for a couple of minutes, then they are there again.

Can you tell me, how much FPS do you get? How much HZ do you play on? Is your CPU at 100% utilization (that will cause heavy stutters too) did you monitor your frame time graph? Do you see big spikes on your frame time graph? Even if those things are fine in your case, you still get those little server stutters, but im wondering if its really just the server problem, and not your hardware...

Regarding your second point, thats most likely Input Lag. As I said, its the time until a physical mouse movement gets displayed on the screen! This is mostly affected by your GPU/FPS/HZ/VSync, then your CPU/RAM/SSD/HDD, then various settings I described (Bios settings, windows settings, game settings etc etc.) The input lag also varies from game to game.

You can quickly test how you respond to input lag. If you set vsync on, it will massively increase the overall input lag. Turn it on, and see how it feels... its quiet noticeable!
My fps is never below 144fps. my monitor is 144hz btw.

Even with smt off i didnt get a single dip, smt off helped a tiny bit tho with input lag.

I also plugged my pc into a friends house, maybe it was a electric problem? But still the same issue.

O and i have another issue, that is when there's alot happening my audio will mute itself only in apex. Then i need to manually disable and enable the audio driver, then its working again

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 05 Oct 2021, 16:32

Stimpy7314 wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 16:14
FPSMaster wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 16:04
Stimpy7314 wrote:
FPSMaster wrote:

My fps is never below 144fps. my monitor is 144hz btw.

Even with smt off i didnt get a single dip, smt off helped a tiny bit tho with input lag.

I also plugged my pc into a friends house, maybe it was a electric problem? But still the same issue.

O and i have another issue, that is when there's alot happening my audio will mute itself only in apex
Do you play on FHD or WQHD? Higher res will cause big input delay. Do you play on lowest settings, or highest? High settings will increase GPU utiliziation. If your GPU is around 90-100% you get MASSIVE input delay! Try to have your GPU at 50-80% usage, not 90% or 100%. The utilization will decrease, as soon as you change to low graphic settings or low resolutions! Hyperthreading wont add much input delay, if you have 4c/8t.
6c/12t and everything higher will increase input delay significantly! Because 99% of the games wont use 12 threads efficiently, and this will reduce your FPS, and with that increase input delay!
You should be fine if you always use your 6 physical cores for games!

Btw, im getting audio spikes too in apex. Its strange it only happens in apex too... so thats a good news, because you dont get that in every game. So its probably just bound to apex, and not your PC...

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 05 Oct 2021, 16:35

if you dont want to play on low settings, because of the graphical picture quality but you get high GPU utilization, you can try out "nvidia Reflex" if the game supports it. Its in the game settings. It will greatly reduce input delay in heavily GPU bound scenarious (when your GPU is at 90-100%).
I always turn it on, even on low settings. Sometimes my usage still goes to 90%, and then reflex will compensate alot of lag.