CS:GO Sound related stutters - interesting observation

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
SixRavens

Re: CS:GO Sound related stutters - interesting observation

Post by SixRavens » 07 Oct 2021, 12:01

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 20:29
While playing on aim map with bots and changing some settings in config, just out of curiosity I set volume to 0 in the console. Then from snd_mixahead 0.01 to 0.025 because it's giving different mouse feel (no idea why but I trust me or not, I am not alone) and CS:GO became smooth like a hell. No stutters while shooting and spraying. Then joined DM because I couldn't believe in the change and it was still there.

I knew that my stuttery spray was somehow related to the in-game sound but I can't really explain why is this happening. I've had external Creative sound card, but it didn't change anything. Perhaps somebody can check it by yourself and confirm that your experience is the same?
This is a known issue with CSGO. Some ppl fixed it by using external soundcard and disabling onboard audio, some just by tweaking audio enhancements. Ive seen a post from a guy who was a pro until his game went to shit. He has been switching places, changing ISPs and PCs, spent thousands of dollars and the only thing that worked for him was a bluetooth speaker - game was smooth and sharp as it should be with no hitreg issues, but he coudnt repeat result in any way, but using same BT speaker.
I think that CSGO is pure magic at this point, my game just randomly becomes shit, cant get above 2400 elo just because I havent had even 2 days in a row with a decent gameplay experience, mostly its 1 in 3-6 games works fine. Seems like snd_mixahead 0.05 works the best for me, but even that doesnt help when I have "those days")
And I still dont get, how sound can make my spary randomly go all over the map and turn enemies into a nascar)
BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 11:29
Wonder if putting the sound card on the CPU lanes and disabling 3D sound effects etc in the sound card properties will reduce the issue. Possibly using low 16bit CD quality too...
Do you know how can I put the sound card on the PCU lanes and disable 3D sound effects? Not that I think it will magically fix everything, but at this point Im not looking for fixes, just trying to mitigate the issue in any way possible)

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 07 Oct 2021, 12:39

Bluetooth speaker or you mean headsets? Indeed, this is really baffling stuff but I will keep investigating.

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 07 Oct 2021, 13:03

@SixRavens

With a mainstream platform usually the main PCIe x16 can be split into 8x8 via two separate physical PCIe interfaces/slots. Normally the main x16 slot is closest to the CPU while the shared slot is the next one down, while the bottom slot goes through the south-bridge lanes to the CPU. So if you have a dedicated sound card that would mean inserting it into the second furthest PCIe slot from the CPU. Check with your motherboard manual.

Next would be to turn off 3D sound effects and other stuff the sound card would have to process. In my case I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy Fx: surround is off, crystalizer is off, bass enhancement is off and instead of using 5.1 speakers I'm using Stereo and at 16 bit 48000 Hz, the card is in MSI mode.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 07 Oct 2021, 13:07

SixRavens wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 12:01
a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 20:29
While playing on aim map with bots and changing some settings in config, just out of curiosity I set volume to 0 in the console. Then from snd_mixahead 0.01 to 0.025 because it's giving different mouse feel (no idea why but I trust me or not, I am not alone) and CS:GO became smooth like a hell. No stutters while shooting and spraying. Then joined DM because I couldn't believe in the change and it was still there.

I knew that my stuttery spray was somehow related to the in-game sound but I can't really explain why is this happening. I've had external Creative sound card, but it didn't change anything. Perhaps somebody can check it by yourself and confirm that your experience is the same?
This is a known issue with CSGO. Some ppl fixed it by using external soundcard and disabling onboard audio, some just by tweaking audio enhancements. Ive seen a post from a guy who was a pro until his game went to shit. He has been switching places, changing ISPs and PCs, spent thousands of dollars and the only thing that worked for him was a bluetooth speaker - game was smooth and sharp as it should be with no hitreg issues, but he coudnt repeat result in any way, but using same BT speaker.
I think that CSGO is pure magic at this point, my game just randomly becomes shit, cant get above 2400 elo just because I havent had even 2 days in a row with a decent gameplay experience, mostly its 1 in 3-6 games works fine. Seems like snd_mixahead 0.05 works the best for me, but even that doesnt help when I have "those days")
And I still dont get, how sound can make my spary randomly go all over the map and turn enemies into a nascar)
BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 11:29
Wonder if putting the sound card on the CPU lanes and disabling 3D sound effects etc in the sound card properties will reduce the issue. Possibly using low 16bit CD quality too...
Do you know how can I put the sound card on the PCU lanes and disable 3D sound effects? Not that I think it will magically fix everything, but at this point Im not looking for fixes, just trying to mitigate the issue in any way possible)
I CAn confirm this, lag hit reg stutter isn't just related to electricity or net connection or faulty hard but in csgo, it can be related to your own account, i spoke to many ppl and read hundreds and hundreds of threads about people having lag in their accounts and lag goes in their new acc, my friend told me he made a new account and had zero lag for over 10+ hours until the lag started again and he has two 2300+ elo accounts, confirmed to me he went to uk and other places in his country to no avail, tried playing with his friends accounts and said they had no lag until it started

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 07 Oct 2021, 13:30

I will contact valve and let's see what is their idea about that. It's not normal, that no sound so drastically changes everything. How can I have way better performance without sound than with?

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 07 Oct 2021, 13:34

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 04:46
I never considered you as a bright person but no. It wasn't about disabling it but uninstalling tons of crappy software that controls it. How about your toroids guys? Already started wearing it on your neck?
Even better some of us have even gotten a full fix they called some emc labs the emc labs performed a site analysis and traced the noise source and got it fixed for good lmaoo but hey u can keep wasting ur time, us stupid people led by charles manson dont know what were talking about at all

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 07 Oct 2021, 13:47

nick4567 wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 13:34
a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
I never considered you as a bright person but no. It wasn't about disabling it but uninstalling tons of crappy software that controls it. How about your toroids guys? Already started wearing it on your neck?
Even better some of us have even gotten a full fix they called some emc labs the emc labs performed a site analysis and traced the noise source and got it fixed for good lmaoo but hey u can keep wasting ur time, us stupid people led by charles manson dont know what were talking about at all
Were there dragons in that story? Let me guess, you "fixed" it and still keep talking about it and measuring frequencies with eyeballs.

heavywe

Post by heavywe » 07 Oct 2021, 15:07

I remember there was a time where the sound that was produced when I dominated someone in deathmatch mode, that sound took away 100% of the input lag, it was grotesque to be able to kill everyone with 1 bullet for a few seconds :(

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 07 Oct 2021, 15:11

heavywe wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 15:07
I remember there was a time where the sound that was produced when I dominated someone in deathmatch mode, that sound took away 100% of the input lag, it was grotesque to be able to kill everyone with 1 bullet for a few seconds :(
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it's glitched somehow. Let's see what valve has to say about that.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Oct 2021, 15:17

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
Mugabi wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 06:56
Cool solution, what next, turn off your pc monitor and playing with black screen? Perhaps simply closing your eyes so you dont see the lag? I mean if u dont see the lag then there's no lag isn't that the truth
nick4567 wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 13:34
Reminder:
Yes, even to newbies.
Yes, even to people who annoy you.
Report their post instead.
Be a nice teacher. Be a nice professor.
No punishing or putting down newbies for how little they know.

NO ELITISM IS ALLOWED HERE

Please see forums.blurbusters.com/rules

Also, please read my post, The Amazing Human Visible Feats of Milliseconds for a new perspective.

Rule violation = temp bans next time of an undeterminate length.

OK? Good. Carry on.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!