Visible spaces in fast mouse movement

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Vocaleyes

Re: Visible spaces in fast mouse movement

Post by Vocaleyes » 19 Nov 2021, 16:00

Ok, so I've been messing around a bit and think I may have located the source of my issues but possibly with no current workaround.

The issue is chipset.
I have attempted to download and install chipset driver multiple times, but after every reboot the default 1968 out of date version driver reinstalls.

I read somewhere that once the base driver has been installed theres no way to uninstall it, due to the date of the driver.

I may attempt to do yet another fresh install, this time completely disconnected from the internet so the outdated default driver doesn't get the chance to install first, and have the correct chipset driver waiting on my installation USB.

If this doesn't remedy it, are there any suggestions?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 19 Nov 2021, 17:15

Vocaleyes wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 16:00
Ok, so I've been messing around a bit and think I may have located the source of my issues but possibly with no current workaround.

The issue is chipset.
I have attempted to download and install chipset driver multiple times, but after every reboot the default 1968 out of date version driver reinstalls.
I experienced something similar recently (driver, not mouse issues) after switching to Windows 11. Bottom-line, however, is the chipset drivers likely have nothing to do with your issue:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processo ... d-p/701402

My system was installing 200 series when my chipset is the 300 series, since my particular motherboard manufacturer doesn't have Windows 11 chipset drivers available, so I actually did the opposite of you and forced the older 300 series drivers (which also say 1968 for the date). Either way, it shouldn't change anything, just the driver name/date.

You haven't been clear; is the issue you're still experiencing what was depicted in the video you shared, or is it something beyond it that you can't capture on a video? If the latter, we have no idea whether it is an actual issue unless we try it on your computer in person. For all we know, we might, subjectively, find it "normal," or not, but we can't really objectively help determine anything beyond guessing how it feels to you at this point.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 19 Nov 2021, 21:38

My apologies, the issue in the video has been resolved, but as predicted the inconsistent movement remains.

It feels like a milder form of mouse accel, to which the mouse will move varying distances dependant on speed and direction of mouse movement.

For example, if I am to make continuous circular anti-clockwise motions, very rapidly the cursor will drift to the top left side of the screen, vice versa for clockwise. This behaviour is not subtle and is wildly inconsistent, which I must make clear has never happened on any version of Windows dating back to 98.
This cursor behaviour obviously prevents ANY muscle memory from being developed and has been the bane of my existence for 4 years now.

The reason I enquire about chipset installation (which I have still been unsuccessful in doing, checked the version number to confirm) is because when attempting to remove the chipset driver, after reboot EPP auto re-enables, so it seems it may be tied into mouse functionality and subsequently affecting performance due to it being an out of date version, especially considering many of the versions after mine include USB patches.

Any advice how I can prevent these generic chipsets from forcing installation instead of these more modern ones?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 19 Nov 2021, 23:13

Vocaleyes wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 21:38
after reboot EPP auto re-enables
Have you tried the solution in this article?
https://www.howtogeek.com/285652/how-to ... n-windows/
Vocaleyes wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 21:38
Any advice how I can prevent these generic chipsets from forcing installation instead of these more modern ones?
That answer was in the post I linked:
Download the latest Chipset Device Software package. As Leonardo indicated, your board manufacturer should have this package on their download site.

The package comes as a ZIP file. Extract the contents of this ZIP file to a temporary folder.

1. Open a Command Prompt window.
2. Make this temporary folder the current folder.
3. Execute command "SetupChipset.exe -overall".
4. Reboot.
Step #3 is key.

You can also use a program like Snappy Driver Installer (SDI Lite portable is plenty, just use the "This PC Only" option after launching the program) to scan your system for the latest chipset drivers.

Newer drivers aren't always necessarily better however, so be sure to create a restore point or the like before updating.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 20 Nov 2021, 22:03

Hi there,

To clarify EPP is only re-enabling itself when attempting to install the chipset driver on reboot. It does not do this under normal boot circumstances.

I attempted the CMD command, but same result.

Says successful, please reboot. Reboot. Revert.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 20 Nov 2021, 23:45

Vocaleyes wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 22:03
Hi there,

To clarify EPP is only re-enabling itself when attempting to install the chipset driver on reboot. It does not do this under normal boot circumstances.

I attempted the CMD command, but same result.

Says successful, please reboot. Reboot. Revert.
Have you tried running SDI, and if so, what available driver updates is it showing?

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 21 Nov 2021, 06:57

Yes I also ran SDI but is showing no immediate updates, only optional ones.

Devmgr still showing as the 1968 driver.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 21 Nov 2021, 09:45

Im going to completely mix up motherboard manufacturers just to eliminate brand and chipset version.
It's like you said.. so many variables.
What I can also add, is that when attempting to use native keyboard and mouse on ps4 (for diagnosic purposes), the same issue is occurring.

I thought maybe something electrically unsound was occuring at my previous premises, which then triggered a move into my current property.
Which is why for a while I have also had an electrician at my disposal assisting me with tests/ theories.
But I also experienced this issue in a PC world i visited to purcase my inital pre-built hp omen, where they also had several rigs on display to test, all affected with the same issue of inconsistent mouse cursor movement and what feels like micro-fluctuations of dpi affecting cursor speed and consistency.

With regard to my new property -
Grounding is sound, voltage is fine (had a voltage recorder), but there does seem to be an issue.
We had led dimmer light switches installed, which for lack of a better descriptor, freaks out.
Will set the dimmer knob to anything, min/max/mid, and either initally strobes, or will be ok for a while then start strobing, without the dimmers being touched. This could indicate frequency instability having a negative effect on certain devices.. but seemingly on a semi-national scale?!
This happens with all led dimmer switches in the property and I believe is a good test to see if something is interfering electrically, but what? We are pretty stumped.

He recently mentioned a device he heard of a while ago he would look in to acquiring, which is fitted just before the mainsboard that would stabilise frequency.. so thats where we are currently at on the electrical theory side of things, but the likleyhood that this could be happening at moreplaces than not is also quite farfetched.

It seems no matter which approach is taken, either electrical or component/ software, we are now venturing into borderline conspiracy territory.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 21 Nov 2021, 11:32

Vocaleyes wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 06:57
Devmgr still showing as the 1968 driver.
The chipset versions I downloaded from ASUS and forced on my system are the versions with the 1968 year, FYI. It may be the same with yours.

Any newer versions would have to be released by Microsoft at the OS-level, and for me, the only "newer" versions on Windows 11 are the 200 series drivers, which also work with my 300 series chipset.
Vocaleyes wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 09:45
But I also experienced this issue in a PC world i visited to purcase my inital pre-built hp omen, where they also had several rigs on display to test, all affected with the same issue of inconsistent mouse cursor movement and what feels like micro-fluctuations of dpi affecting cursor speed and consistency.
Uh, if that's the case, as I previously inferred, you may simply be perceiving how mouse input works on modern machines, and there might not be anything to "fix." My best bet at this point, is from what you've shared, I and many others are experiencing it as well, and either we simply don't care, or don't perceive the issue to begin with.

In other words, if this phenomena genuinely exists, it would just be a limitation of current technology (be it actual hardware, software, or a mix of both), and you happen to be super-humanly sensitive to the lack of 1:1 input, even if it's in the 1 or sub millisecond range.

Not much that can be done there if this is the case. Good luck creating your own form of electrical distribution and computer technology to simulate a perfect 1:1 human nervous system response, which isn't even in itself instantaneous.

I guess the question now is, have you ever experienced mouse input on a modern machine/OS that doesn't exhibit this issue?

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 21 Nov 2021, 13:28

I guess the question now is, have you ever experienced mouse input on a modern machine/OS that doesn't exhibit this issue?
That is the question isn't it. Sadly no.
The last time I had a mouse that moved correctly, was windows 7 with a 660gtx on the first pc I ever hand built.

This isn't a case of "super human" anything, this is simply a matter of experience my guy.
Uh, if that's the case, as I previously inferred, you may simply be perceiving how mouse input works on modern machines
That is 1 option indeed, the other being interference.
If suddenly one day the way you walked changed, it would be fairly hard to show anyone anything quantifiable other than how it felt, and why it's wrong.
This is the case here.
I am unsure whether it's because people haven't had the luxury I have had of using a mouse that actually does what you want, or whether it's because after developing 'that much' muscle memory myself, that it is just instantly observable for myself and seemingly, others.

But after the amount of time i have put into solely FPS games, I don't need to be super human, just mildly observant to be frank.

If a setup from 2015 performed better than any current rig I own, something is SERIOUSLY wrong.

I used to have a strict schedule for training, which was 10am to 6pm. I did this, everyday, for 5 years.

It's extremely noticable when a mouse cursor is deciding to drift off its own momentum.
Rather like me telling someone like you to use EPP and then me tell you that it's standard functionality. You (hopefully) would immediately know something wasn't right.

You either don't have the issue, or are ignorant to how a mouse is supposed to function it seems?

All i know is a game like cod ghosts used to be a place i would farm kems every other game for stream clips and highlight reels.
I redownloaded it to benchmark, can barely aim. Something is not right. Simple.
It's like mouse handling has been altered in general to accommodate arm aimers, not wrist aimers.. or something.

EDIT. Something of interest to know, when My mouse worked, I would attempt to share my settings with everyone I payed with.
A MAJORITY of them told me the sens i was using was unplayable.
Those same people now share my current settings with ease, and I now appreciate why they were unable to use mine.
Either mice or windows have decided to change something on an unchangeable level, which just doesn't work as intended, or due to the needs and demands of the general public, a large scale level of harmonic interference is occuring from the grid and/ or RFI.

I VIVIDLY remember being able to use 8/11 windows sens. I cannot do that anymore, mouse speed is just way to erratic in general now.
Last edited by Vocaleyes on 21 Nov 2021, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.