i come to a point today.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
deama

Re: i come to a point today.

Post by deama » 23 Nov 2021, 06:39

There's a piece of software called WinMTR that allows you to track packets to a specific host to find out if you get any dropped packets or weird behaviour.
Download WinMTR, then in the host section type in 8.8.8.8 (google dns server, you can try other ones too), then press start and just keep it on for a day. If you see above 0% packet loss in the Loss % column, then that might be a problem.

The software monitors all the different jump points that your packets have to make to reach the host destination, so e.g. if you want to go to youtube, your packet first has to go to the internet box outside your house (if it works like that for you) that is a type of switch or big router for your neighborhood, then it goes to your ISP exchange point, then after that it can do a few more hops until it reaches youtube.com. The WinMTR will monitor this entire route and tell you if there were big packet loss between your house to your ISP or ISP to youtube etc...
Might help figure out the problem, e.g. if you get lots of % loss packets from your house to ISP, then probably something wrong with the wire from your house to the ISP, or from your house to the local neighborhood switch box or something.

PS: Ignore the one that says "no response from host" in hostname column.

dervu

Re: i come to a point today.

Post by dervu » 23 Nov 2021, 07:11

Isn't it better to use UDP packets like pingplotter does?
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor