Input Lag / Desync only on one computer

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Slender

Re: Input Lag / Desync only on one computer

Post by Slender » 06 Jun 2022, 05:06

akylen wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 16:33
Well, to this day, still no explanation for why or how it does that.

The voltage theory that I explained above is only in fact a placebo.

Nevertheless there must be a correlation on why when I have the older motherboard + the older processor I have no problems, and when I put the new motherboard + the newer processor, it is unplayable.
same, previous z390 + i7-9700kf works fine, but z690 + 12700kf worse.

akylen

Post by akylen » 06 Jun 2022, 09:20

it could be the logical reason indeed, I thought about it, suddenly it would confirm that it may come from electricity, after how to solve the problem, I don't see too much, but it seems to be a track to investigate.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 06 Jun 2022, 13:00

akylen wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 09:20
it could be the logical reason indeed, I thought about it, suddenly it would confirm that it may come from electricity, after how to solve the problem, I don't see too much, but it seems to be a track to investigate.
I highly doubt it's 'electrical.' You yourself already said your old PC works fine but new one does not. If it were electrical, both PC(s) would be affected. Also, your old PC is is running off an architecture from over 10 years ago that employed far less power saving features compared to today's boards/cpus.

Can you detail what you disabled in your bios, if anything? Speedstep, eist, C-states, thermal monitor should all be disabled in your bios. If they aren't, you'll experience throttling in games which will result in stutters, lag, etc. As for your memory, are you running in Gear 1 or Gear 2 mode? Gear 2 will cut your IMC (Memory Controller) freq in half which could result in an 'input lag' like feel. Gear 1 is ideal.

Have you done the basics like test your thermals? Thermal throttling is also very common which results in your CPU aggressively downclocking itself on the fly which also results in stutters, input lag, etc. I don't know what your settings are but but on the 10700k the max turbo is 5.1GHZ. Are all of your turbo settings on auto or did you set a fixed clock w/ fixed voltage? Either way, you want to test your thermals by running something like cinebench or prime95. Cinebench is probably better to use because prime95 puts unrealistic strains on your system. Run HWINFO64 to monitor your thermals, clocks, throttling while running cinebench. You'll know right away if your system is being throttled if your frequency starts dropping. If it does, then you know you have a thermal related issue which needs to be resolved.

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 06 Jun 2022, 14:20

kokkatc wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 13:00
akylen wrote:
I highly doubt it's 'electrical.' You yourself already said your old PC works fine but new one does not. If it were electrical, both PC(s) would be affected. Also, your old PC is is running off an architecture from over 10 years ago that employed far less power saving features compared to today's boards/cpus.

Can you detail what you disabled in your bios, if anything? Speedstep, eist, C-states, thermal monitor should all be disabled in your bios. If they aren't, you'll experience throttling in games which will result in stutters, lag, etc. As for your memory, are you running in Gear 1 or Gear 2 mode? Gear 2 will cut your IMC (Memory Controller) freq in half which could result in an 'input lag' like feel. Gear 1 is ideal.

Have you done the basics like test your thermals? Thermal throttling is also very common which results in your CPU aggressively downclocking itself on the fly which also results in stutters, input lag, etc. I don't know what your settings are but but on the 10700k the max turbo is 5.1GHZ. Are all of your turbo settings on auto or did you set a fixed clock w/ fixed voltage? Either way, you want to test your thermals by running something like cinebench or prime95. Cinebench is probably better to use because prime95 puts unrealistic strains on your system. Run HWINFO64 to monitor your thermals, clocks, throttling while running cinebench. You'll know right away if your system is being throttled if your frequency starts dropping. If it does, then you know you have a thermal related issue which needs to be resolved.
So i test it for you at full HD in CS Go fps max 400 after 30min on DM:

CPU ryzen 5600x 64C MAX temp -not single core go over 3.8GHz thats strange to me
GPU rtx 3060ti 51C MAX temp
is this throttling?
Last edited by MegaMelmek on 06 Jun 2022, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 06 Jun 2022, 14:50

MegaMelmek wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 14:20
kokkatc wrote:
akylen wrote:

CPU ryzen 5600x 64C MAX temp
is this throttling?
No idea, you didn't give me enough info. You want to use HWINFO64 + a benchmarking/stress program to test for throttling. Download and install HWINFO64, launch it and select sensors only. Open and expand that. Keep an eye on your cpu frequencies and cpu temps. Now download and install cinebench. Click start in the upper left to begin the test. While cinebench is running, take a look at your cpu frequencies and cpu temps in HWINFO64.. The cpu frequencies will go down if being throttled. You can be throttled for many reasons but most of the time it's because your temps are too high or your TDP power settings aren't set high enough to maintain your frequencies under certain load.

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 06 Jun 2022, 14:59

kokkatc wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 14:50
MegaMelmek wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 14:20
kokkatc wrote:
akylen wrote:

CPU ryzen 5600x 64C MAX temp
is this throttling?
No idea, you didn't give me enough info. You want to use HWINFO64 + a benchmarking/stress program to test for throttling. Download and install HWINFO64, launch it and select sensors only. Open and expand that. Keep an eye on your cpu frequencies and cpu temps. Now download and install cinebench. Click start in the upper left to begin the test. While cinebench is running, take a look at your cpu frequencies and cpu temps in HWINFO64.. The cpu frequencies will go down if being throttled. You can be throttled for many reasons but most of the time it's because your temps are too high or your TDP power settings aren't set high enough to maintain your frequencies under certain load.

Strange is that i check it in ryzen master and not sigle core from all 6 never go over 3.8GHz if that because source engine idk.
I test it with fps max 0 and still never over 3.8GHz temp max 64C
These test are sinthetic they do not corespond with games. If you stress CPU and LAN, SSD and USB ports is chilling thats not test at all.
But i give it a try

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 06 Jun 2022, 15:21

So max temp 67 avg 64C in cinebenchR23 multicore, avg clock 4050MHz
Chipset was 65C and avg also 65C
Attachments
hwinfo.jpg
hwinfo.jpg (590.35 KiB) Viewed 3385 times

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 06 Jun 2022, 16:41

MegaMelmek wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 15:21
So max temp 67 avg 64C in cinebenchR23 multicore, avg clock 4050MHz
Chipset was 65C and avg also 65C
So for starters, even though your temps seem fine, you're still getting throttled. The screenshot you sent doesn't show me all of the TDP power settings/results but I'm guessing the power limits on your board haven't been configured. Your cpu is likely requiring more power to maintain your frequency but likely do to a bios setting restriction it's probably capped too low to maintain your preferred clocks, hence the throttling. HWINFO64 will show this. Run cinebench again and look for a section called 'Thermal Throttling' while cinebecnh is running. It will tell you if you're being throttled. Now also while it's running, look at your power settings and see what your TDP caps/limits are. I'm more familiar w/ Intel than I am AMD. For Intel it's called PL1 and PL2. PL1 is long term power limit, and PL2 is short term power limit. For my 12700k, I believe mine is set to PL1=250, PL2=250 at a fixed clock of 4.9GHZ across all cores. I run a 12700k on a Z690 mobo. A lot of people will just remove all power limits so the cpu doesn't get choked for power when it requests it but this can also cause your temps to skyrocket which can also cause throttling. You need to find a happy medium.

A good start may be to remove all power limits on your motherboard for your cpu/mobo, run the test again and it will tell you how much power/watts your cpu is pulling. If temps are okay, set the power limit just above what HWINFO64 is telling you your CPU pulls. You may need to do some research on this first if you're unfamiliar.

What CPU + Motherboard do you have? I can try to give you some suggestions to get you going.

Also, as a side note... This is very a common occurrence among newer generations of CPU(s). You really need to know how to configure your cpu/motherboard's power limits and clocks so your CPU isn't getting choked for power when it needs it or getting too hot where throttling will occur.
Last edited by kokkatc on 06 Jun 2022, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 06 Jun 2022, 16:46

I will give it a try again tomorow but whats wrong with default settings?
My PC
ryzen 5600x
asus rog strix x570 f gaming
G skill 16GB 3600Mhz
asus rog 3060ti
2x NVME
3x ssd

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 06 Jun 2022, 17:01

MegaMelmek wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 16:46
I will give it a try again tomorow but whats wrong with default settings?
My PC
ryzen 5600x
asus rog strix x570 f gaming
G skill 16GB 3600Mhz
asus rog 3060ti
2x NVME
3x ssd
Well for starters you have a 5600x which is considered an enthusiast chip w/ overclocking ability. Your own preferences/goals will determine what settings are best. If you're a casual gamer that plays once in awhile, maybe default settings are fine for you. If you want your system/games to be as responsiveness as possible w/ the most FPS, you need to tweak your settings. Plus you aren't taking advantage of your CPU if you leave everything at default.

The 5600x default TDP is 65W. It can pull as much as 140W when needed. If your power limits for example are limited to only 65W by default, you're always going to get throttled and lag/desync will occur when this happens. To take advantage of your CPU, either set higher power limits or release them altogether so your CPU isn't getting choked. I recommend you read up on this. There's a lot of good available info on this.