Fps drops, frametime spikes, stutter/ hitching with capable pc

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
VenomLolo

Fps drops, frametime spikes, stutter/ hitching with capable pc

Post by VenomLolo » 27 Nov 2021, 10:29

I have switched my entire pc from a Ryzen build to an Intel build and had over 3 GPUs this last year trying to solve this situation. I really need help .

Problems:
- FPS drops in all games. ( For example I have rtss lock my fps at 141 for my 144hz monitor and it drops from 141 to 139 and the stutter is noticeable with freesync on and without freesync, with normal or fast monitor response and also with zero latency option within the monitor)

- Micro stuttering when scrolling in a browser or a window.

Tried:
- 3 times GPU changed. RTX 3070, RX 6800 and now RTX 3080.

- Tried running games on my OS SSD and unplugged my hard drive still stutter.

- HDMI/DP cables.
- FreeSync on/off.
- V-Sync on/off.
- Change Hz. 144,120,(on my windows my Hz are at 143.98 )
- Temps max. With current gpu 70° I got the fans at 75%
- CPU usage not higher than %90.
- Power plan Bitsun power plan
- In NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL tried every single settings.
- All drivers updated. With snappy driver installer
- Updated BIOS.
- XMP on/off.
- Intel boost on/off.
- Install games SSD/HDD.
- Unplug HDD. Only SSD installed Windows and games.
- Graphics settings ultra/very low
- Change resolution.
- FPS limiter on/off.
- With Malwarebytes virus scan.
- Memtest RAM test. No problem.
- Latencymon test. No problem.
- Game bar on/off.
- Game mod on/off.
- Intelligent standby list cleaner tried.
-3 separate cables to power gpu no daisy chain

Notes:
- When fps drop GPU usage drops as well and this varies sometimes usage drops from 70% usage to 50 and back up to 70 for example.
- When drop there in NO problem with sound. Sound is good.
- Fps drops even on fixed screens like lobby in games. Like 144 to 138 and stutter is noticeable.
- Stutters happens randomly but mostly when going to a new zone like if it's loading the area this happens to me while playing riders republic and flying around.
- Frametime graph shows extremely high values.
- I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem to drop in Benchmark tests.

CPU: Intel i7 10700k at 4.5hz (I've been using 4.9 but for some reason I left it at 4.5)
Case: Cougar Blazer
RAM: G skill Trident z Neo 16 GBS
MB: Asus ROG Strix Z490F
SSD: SK hynix 500gb (OS)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB(GAMES)
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA
Monitor: MSI OPTIX MAG 321CQR 144HZ 1440P 1MS

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: Fps drops, frametime spikes, stutter/ hitching with capable pc

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 27 Nov 2021, 21:35

What do you even play to get your cpu "10700k" up to 90% usage?
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 28 Nov 2021, 12:46

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 21:35
What do you even play to get your cpu "10700k" up to 90% usage?
Not reaching 90% but i have seen weird spikes while loading for example on single core for example core 3 had a spike up to 90 maybe 100 while loading

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 28 Nov 2021, 18:14

This is speccy link please help me
Even turning my monitor from 144 to 120 hz and locking with rivatuner to 120 and nvcp vsync on with normal response and zero latency off the monitor menu I still get drops from 120 to 119 and there are visible with a increment of ms from 8.3 ~8.5 all the way up to 30ms or maybe up to 104ms

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mn2y ... kC2T10MdLC

dark9550

Post by dark9550 » 28 Nov 2021, 18:39

Same...But on all devices (PS5, IPHONE 12, PC, MACBOOK) :|
I tried everything.... In my case its electricity/EMI...Probably

dark9550

Post by dark9550 » 28 Nov 2021, 18:40

VenomLolo wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 18:14
This is speccy link please help me
Even turning my monitor from 144 to 120 hz and locking with rivatuner to 120 and nvcp vsync on with normal response and zero latency off the monitor menu I still get drops from 120 to 119 and there are visible with a increment of ms from 8.3 ~8.5 all the way up to 30ms or maybe up to 104ms

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mn2y ... kC2T10MdLC

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 29 Nov 2021, 03:28

I wish I could give you a magical bullet that would help with this, there's none sadly =/ !!
However, I saw that you have MSI Afterburner, have you tried to disable GPU power monitoring? or just try to run the game without MSI afterburner in the background and see how it goes.
Other than that, I remember I had similar stutters before, and it was when I was trying out Nvidia "Adaptive mode" power option from Nvidia's control panel, just to see how it relates to my GPU's frequency and what not! What i realized there that it was actually causing alot of the times the PEG speed or PCIe mode to fluctuate between x1, x2 and x3 and that caused alot of hard stutters and hitches that were not even visible on the FPS graph. Try to just set them to a specific value, and if you're using a riser cable, try without that too.
And for the record, its normal for 1 core or multiple cores to hit that high usage when loading a game. I thought your CPU usage was hitting 90% during gaming.
P.S what I do now with nvidia's power option is to set it to power saving mode, and in afterburner I force it to run at 1770freq all the time with fans at 50% "for my case i play Valorant and it really is not gpu intensive at all". The reason for this is i suspect my riser cable has a problem with switching frequencies and modes, and thats why I was having the weird stutters that I never had before, or it was actually because of some bad windows 11 thing going on. I'm not sure really, but for now this is working for me!

Let me know how it goes, and for reference, I am by far not a professional when it comes to troubleshooting, but ive had my experiences and thats why i decided to share! Best of luck :)
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 06 Dec 2021, 15:06

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 03:28
I wish I could give you a magical bullet that would help with this, there's none sadly =/ !!
However, I saw that you have MSI Afterburner, have you tried to disable GPU power monitoring? or just try to run the game without MSI afterburner in the background and see how it goes.
Other than that, I remember I had similar stutters before, and it was when I was trying out Nvidia "Adaptive mode" power option from Nvidia's control panel, just to see how it relates to my GPU's frequency and what not! What i realized there that it was actually causing alot of the times the PEG speed or PCIe mode to fluctuate between x1, x2 and x3 and that caused alot of hard stutters and hitches that were not even visible on the FPS graph. Try to just set them to a specific value, and if you're using a riser cable, try without that too.
And for the record, its normal for 1 core or multiple cores to hit that high usage when loading a game. I thought your CPU usage was hitting 90% during gaming.
P.S what I do now with nvidia's power option is to set it to power saving mode, and in afterburner I force it to run at 1770freq all the time with fans at 50% "for my case i play Valorant and it really is not gpu intensive at all". The reason for this is i suspect my riser cable has a problem with switching frequencies and modes, and thats why I was having the weird stutters that I never had before, or it was actually because of some bad windows 11 thing going on. I'm not sure really, but for now this is working for me!

Let me know how it goes, and for reference, I am by far not a professional when it comes to troubleshooting, but ive had my experiences and thats why i decided to share! Best of luck :)
Thank you for your words I really appreciate them! I use Afterburner and also have PX1, I have uninstalled PX1 and AB but stutters are still there the same, one of the latest things Im trying to fix this is using RTSS SCANLINE SYNC with NVCP Fast Sync set, Sorry I did not understand what you are trying to explain in regards to this little section "What i realized there that it was actually causing alot of the times the PEG speed or PCIe mode to fluctuate between x1, x2 and x3 and that caused alot of hard stutters and hitches that were not even visible on the FPS graph. Try to just set them to a specific value" What I normally do is set vsync on nvcp and 141 on RTSS but well now im trying to use the other option of RTSS that is scanline sync to see if this helps me a little. Thank goodness no my cpu is not reaching 90% but only when loading a game like into the menu or from lobby to game. I have also tried without the gpu power monitoring I could try again now that Im trying out the scanline sync.

VenomLolo

Post by VenomLolo » 06 Dec 2021, 15:09

dark9550 wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 18:39
Wow! thats quite harsh! I actually do not know if this situation is EMI related in my house, I really hope not because this only happens when gaming.

dark9550

Post by dark9550 » 07 Dec 2021, 20:12

VenomLolo wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 15:09
dark9550 wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 18:39
Wow! thats quite harsh! I actually do not know if this situation is EMI related in my house, I really hope not because this only happens when gaming.
Look at my post (Electrical Issues Affecting Latency -- Interference, EMI, EMF) i live near power pole. All of my desktops stutters - what about other desktops in your home? (if u have any)