frametime spikes

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
nuk_won

Re: frametime spikes

Post by nuk_won » 29 Dec 2021, 09:19

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
29 Dec 2021, 07:05
it looks like the Nvidia driver is not enjoying its time on your PC. It could be a lot of things tbh, from power delivery to your card, to the card heating up, a settings problem or a driver issue in general for your card, even running something like HWinfo or MSI afterburner during the DPC latency checker would cause DPC spikes and issues.

So the kernel timer did not go down at all after opening the latency checker? thats weird it works for me and i am on windows 11. Anyways, have you ever tried locking your GPU frequency at a certain speed? from MSI afterburner press "CTRL + F" then pick the frequency you want "make sure its something that your card can actually maintain without overheating or anything" then press "L or K i can't remember" you'll see a dotted vertical line appear, after that you can just go back to MSI Afterburner's main interface and hit Apply. This will force a certain frequency and voltage to be applied all the time to your gpu, which will prevent it from clocking up or down from whatever you have previously set. You can close afterburner afterwards the settings will be saved for your session until you restart your PC "to be sure just check your gpu clock speed after closing MSI afterburning with something else like HWinfo".

Let me know how it goes..
yeah i have tried locking my gpu.it had no change on thos spikes. ive tried windows 10 win 11 nothing but steam or origin instaaled still the isue is there. ive tried older bios versions tried ddu drivers multiple time tried uninstaling amd chipset drivers.now im waiting for thermal paads to arive will chagnge them +the paste on the gpu. but the tems doesnt go to hot on gpu 58-65 under load

dark9550

Post by dark9550 » 29 Dec 2021, 19:47

nuk_won wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 13:22
latency mon shows that kernal timer latency is high but doesnt say how to fix it.i get 10-50ms frametime spikes in all games online/singleplayer. most of them are when going in a new area or loading level or a granade goes off generated by sound. ive tried a lot of things bios tweaks. fresh instals windows 10/11. tried optimizations etc. overclock/undervoltage.smt on off. xpm on off. bios game mode on off.c states disabled. ultimate powerplan others deleted.all drivers up to date. amd chipset drivers tried unnistaling them tried without them no change.when the stutter happens the gpu sage goes to 0% a spike in cpu usage and frame time jumps to 10-50ms i get a visual stutter sound cut out and then everthing goes back to normal. ive changed ssd. psu. ram. gpu. built pc outside the case. disconected usb devices. been batteling this for months now. maybe its just a cpu bottlenck that im facing here? any help or idea how to fix this would be nice thx.
cpu; ryzen 5 3600
gpu: 1080ti strix
ram: gskil trident z 3200mzh cl14
ssd: 1t 980 m.2
mb: b450m mortar max
psu: rm850x
temps undear load doesnt go over 60c
Same problem, same pattern :cry: . Every game stutters... (even the old one's like half life 2, skyrim, fable)
crazy. Help us guys!

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 30 Dec 2021, 01:53

nuk_won wrote:
29 Dec 2021, 09:19
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
it looks like the Nvidia driver is not enjoying its time on your PC. It could be a lot of things tbh, from power delivery to your card, to the card heating up, a settings problem or a driver issue in general for your card, even running something like HWinfo or MSI afterburner during the DPC latency checker would cause DPC spikes and issues.

So the kernel timer did not go down at all after opening the latency checker? thats weird it works for me and i am on windows 11. Anyways, have you ever tried locking your GPU frequency at a certain speed? from MSI afterburner press "CTRL + F" then pick the frequency you want "make sure its something that your card can actually maintain without overheating or anything" then press "L or K i can't remember" you'll see a dotted vertical line appear, after that you can just go back to MSI Afterburner's main interface and hit Apply. This will force a certain frequency and voltage to be applied all the time to your gpu, which will prevent it from clocking up or down from whatever you have previously set. You can close afterburner afterwards the settings will be saved for your session until you restart your PC "to be sure just check your gpu clock speed after closing MSI afterburning with something else like HWinfo".

yeah i have tried locking my gpu.it had no change on thos spikes. ive tried windows 10 win 11 nothing but steam or origin instaaled still the isue is there. ive tried older bios versions tried ddu drivers multiple time tried uninstaling amd chipset drivers.now im waiting for thermal paads to arive will chagnge them +the paste on the gpu. but the tems doesnt go to hot on gpu 58-65 under load
Thats weird, on GPU-Z it can show memory and hotspot temps, before i repasted/repadded my gpu the main die would resgister a 65c temp while the hotspot and memory were well beyond 85-90c. Hopefully repasting fixes your issue! IF not, can you try placing your gpu into the 2nd pcix16 slot if its free, and if that doesn't help, maybe try the gpu on an entire different system and/or try another gpu in your system.

Also, did you purposefully set your USB hubs to core 5 and its thread, and set Nvidia to core 3 and its thread? Nvidia is running most of its work on core 3's secondary thread which is a lot of work on a small thread. I'm assuming you were following f33thy's stuff too. Did you already have stutters before trying those tweaks? I have everything set to default, even my Nvidia isnt set to MSI mode, and runs on core 0 by default. I only have my USB "wdf01000" set to core 3 without its thread and thats it, everything else is default for the affinity.

I also noticed shit-ton of hard pagefaults! Have you disabled your paging file or running on a small size? it also pertains to steam.exe! Have you tried Steam on no browser mode? I'm just throwing shit at the wall and looking out for the ones that stick. To be honest I don't even think its a software issue since you've had those spikes on a fresh install/no tweak windows as you mentioned.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

nuk_won

Post by nuk_won » 30 Dec 2021, 04:41

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 01:53
nuk_won wrote:
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:

Thats weird, on GPU-Z it can show memory and hotspot temps, before i repasted/repadded my gpu the main die would resgister a 65c temp while the hotspot and memory were well beyond 85-90c. Hopefully repasting fixes your issue! IF not, can you try placing your gpu into the 2nd pcix16 slot if its free, and if that doesn't help, maybe try the gpu on an entire different system and/or try another gpu in your system.

Also, did you purposefully set your USB hubs to core 5 and its thread, and set Nvidia to core 3 and its thread? Nvidia is running most of its work on core 3's secondary thread which is a lot of work on a small thread. I'm assuming you were following f33thy's stuff too. Did you already have stutters before trying those tweaks? I have everything set to default, even my Nvidia isnt set to MSI mode, and runs on core 0 by default. I only have my USB "wdf01000" set to core 3 without its thread and thats it, everything else is default for the affinity.

I also noticed shit-ton of hard pagefaults! Have you disabled your paging file or running on a small size? it also pertains to steam.exe! Have you tried Steam on no browser mode? I'm just throwing shit at the wall and looking out for the ones that stick. To be honest I don't even think its a software issue since you've had those spikes on a fresh install/no tweak windows as you mentioned.
i tried other pci slot. i even unpluged all fans turned off all RGB. unpluged case usb 3. heard that can cause isues. bult the pc outside the case. I cant test the gpu on other system but ive changed gpu before this one i had rx570 4gb. when i got this one its when i was able to get consistant 144fps in games and then i noticed something is off started to look in to this. a good friend gave me his old gpu when he got a new one.i waas monitoring the hotspot on the gpu undear load highest ive seen is around 85c. the afinities i set them myseflt but i dont think they actualy do anything maybe just a placebo for me but ive tried without them on fresh install. ive tried no browser mode no change. but the hard pagefault maybe is normal? because i run the latencymon when i was in a game. any other ideas? and i havent disabled pagefiles its running on default and tried giving a biger pagefile size no change
Last edited by nuk_won on 30 Dec 2021, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.

nuk_won

Post by nuk_won » 30 Dec 2021, 05:11

dark9550 wrote:
29 Dec 2021, 19:47
nuk_won wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 13:22
latency mon shows that kernal timer latency is high but doesnt say how to fix it.i get 10-50ms frametime spikes in all games online/singleplayer. most of them are when going in a new area or loading level or a granade goes off generated by sound. ive tried a lot of things bios tweaks. fresh instals windows 10/11. tried optimizations etc. overclock/undervoltage.smt on off. xpm on off. bios game mode on off.c states disabled. ultimate powerplan others deleted.all drivers up to date. amd chipset drivers tried unnistaling them tried without them no change.when the stutter happens the gpu sage goes to 0% a spike in cpu usage and frame time jumps to 10-50ms i get a visual stutter sound cut out and then everthing goes back to normal. ive changed ssd. psu. ram. gpu. built pc outside the case. disconected usb devices. been batteling this for months now. maybe its just a cpu bottlenck that im facing here? any help or idea how to fix this would be nice thx.
cpu; ryzen 5 3600
gpu: 1080ti strix
ram: gskil trident z 3200mzh cl14
ssd: 1t 980 m.2
mb: b450m mortar max
psu: rm850x
temps undear load doesnt go over 60c
Same problem, same pattern :cry: . Every game stutters... (even the old one's like half life 2, skyrim, fable)
crazy. Help us guys!
sorry to hear that dude i think some people just dont see these spikes some do. im starting to think we are just trying to fix something that we cant fix

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 30 Dec 2021, 18:41

nuk_won wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 04:41
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
nuk_won wrote:
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:

i tried other pci slot. i even unpluged all fans turned off all RGB. unpluged case usb 3. heard that can cause isues. bult the pc outside the case. I cant test the gpu on other system but ive changed gpu before this one i had rx570 4gb. when i got this one its when i was able to get consistant 144fps in games and then i noticed something is off started to look in to this. a good friend gave me his old gpu when he got a new one.i waas monitoring the hotspot on the gpu undear load highest ive seen is around 85c. the afinities i set them myseflt but i dont think they actualy do anything maybe just a placebo for me but ive tried without them on fresh install. ive tried no browser mode no change. but the hard pagefault maybe is normal? because i run the latencymon when i was in a game. any other ideas? and i havent disabled pagefiles its running on default and tried giving a biger pagefile size no change
No ideas actually, as soon as you said that you tried on fresh installs with no tweaks then I had to make the assumption that its either a hardware issue or a bios setting, but since auto bios settings doesn't usually lead into severe stuttering or hitching like that then hopefully a repaste and repad should do the trick.

Again a reminder that I am assuming that you ran windows on default! no extra software or anything. MSI afterburner is considered an extra software and some ppl reported that having it poll GPU power monitoring will cause stutters.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

nuk_won

Post by nuk_won » 31 Dec 2021, 05:27

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 18:41
nuk_won wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 04:41
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
nuk_won wrote:

No ideas actually, as soon as you said that you tried on fresh installs with no tweaks then I had to make the assumption that its either a hardware issue or a bios setting, but since auto bios settings doesn't usually lead into severe stuttering or hitching like that then hopefully a repaste and repad should do the trick.

Again a reminder that I am assuming that you ran windows on default! no extra software or anything. MSI afterburner is considered an extra software and some ppl reported that having it poll GPU power monitoring will cause stutters.
yes it was fresh install. steam and the game nothing else

nuk_won

Post by nuk_won » 07 Jan 2022, 10:17

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
nuk_won wrote:
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:

well i changed thermal pads and the paste on the gpu got my temps down to 50c under load. the frametimes are still there but i messed around with NVprofile inspector and changing some sync settings and some other prerendered frame etc. i managed to make the spikes a bit softer they are not as hard anymore they still there but kinda less anoying now + i instaled studio driver maybe that changed that so i guess its just the nvidia driver causing this iseu. and i changed usb and gpu afinities to all cores that way games felt a lot smoother

slaver01

Post by slaver01 » 07 Jan 2022, 12:04

472.27 that driver gave me problems. I'm back 457.30 the dpc latency issues are gone

nuk_won

Post by nuk_won » 07 Jan 2022, 14:42

slaver01 wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 12:04
472.27 that driver gave me problems. I'm back 457.30 the dpc latency issues are gone
i cant stay on that driver games like apex legends and other are crashing and im getting problems on older drivers