frametime spikes

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
nuk_won

frametime spikes

Post by nuk_won » 26 Dec 2021, 13:22

latency mon shows that kernal timer latency is high but doesnt say how to fix it.i get 10-50ms frametime spikes in all games online/singleplayer. most of them are when going in a new area or loading level or a granade goes off generated by sound. ive tried a lot of things bios tweaks. fresh instals windows 10/11. tried optimizations etc. overclock/undervoltage.smt on off. xpm on off. bios game mode on off.c states disabled. ultimate powerplan others deleted.all drivers up to date. amd chipset drivers tried unnistaling them tried without them no change.when the stutter happens the gpu sage goes to 0% a spike in cpu usage and frame time jumps to 10-50ms i get a visual stutter sound cut out and then everthing goes back to normal. ive changed ssd. psu. ram. gpu. built pc outside the case. disconected usb devices. been batteling this for months now. maybe its just a cpu bottlenck that im facing here? any help or idea how to fix this would be nice thx.
cpu; ryzen 5 3600
gpu: 1080ti strix
ram: gskil trident z 3200mzh cl14
ssd: 1t 980 m.2
mb: b450m mortar max
psu: rm850x
temps undear load doesnt go over 60c
Attachments
cpu 6-12 core.png
cpu 6-12 core.png (256.71 KiB) Viewed 12909 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (72.74 KiB) Viewed 12909 times
frametime 40-50ms.png
frametime 40-50ms.png (216.01 KiB) Viewed 12909 times

jorimt

Re: frametime spikes

Post by jorimt » 26 Dec 2021, 14:28

nuk_won wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 13:22
latency mon shows that kernal timer latency is high but doesnt say how to fix it.
LatencyMon was originally intended for troubleshooting real-time audio issues (like for studio recording programs, etc), not to run alongside a demanding game instance, so it's results should always be taken with a grain of salt in these scenarios.
nuk_won wrote:
i get 10-50ms frametime spikes in all games online/singleplayer. most of them are when going in a new area or loading level or a granade goes off generated by sound.
50ms or under frametime spikes across games is within the expected norm, and can have numerous causes, many of which aren't avoidable and, assuming the system in question doesn't have any other underlying issues, are typically triggered by engine bottlenecks and/or the simple fact that some frames will always take longer than a single refresh cycle to render, which will create stutter due the previous frame repeating once or more while waiting for the next to be ready.

Look at my sig specs. I have the latest gear (with no know EMI issues). I've been playing Guardians of the Galaxy today, for instance, and I get up to 50ms spikes (sometimes above) with scene changes, auto saves, new area loading (etc), and not infrequently. It's the engine. It varies by game; in some I have minor, infrequent frametime spikes, in others, I have moderate and frequent.

While you can reduce spikes, you usually can't eliminate them, especially with the majority of current gen games. The most underestimated and overlooked factor when troubleshooting frametime spikes is the quirks and limitations of the game engine itself (including netcode, shader compilation, I/O access, etc), and there aren't that many efficient engines out there.

That said, the sound "audibly" cutting out during frametime spikes is the only thing that seems potentially abnormal in your case, but you didn't share your audio configuration at all, and whether these spikes were reduced if you unplugged your audio devices and disabled them in the OS.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

nuk_won

Post by nuk_won » 28 Dec 2021, 10:07

jorimt wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 14:28
nuk_won wrote:
latency mon shows that kernal timer latency is high but doesnt say how to fix it.
LatencyMon was originally intended for troubleshooting real-time audio issues (like for studio recording programs, etc), not to run alongside a demanding game instance, so it's results should always be taken with a grain of salt in these scenarios.
nuk_won wrote:
i get 10-50ms frametime spikes in all games online/singleplayer. most of them are when going in a new area or loading level or a granade goes off generated by sound.
50ms or under frametime spikes across games is within the expected norm, and can have numerous causes, many of which aren't avoidable and, assuming the system in question doesn't have any other underlying issues, are typically triggered by engine bottlenecks and/or the simple fact that some frames will always take longer than a single refresh cycle to render, which will create stutter due the previous frame repeating once or more while waiting for the next to be ready.

Look at my sig specs. I have the latest gear (with no know EMI issues). I've been playing Guardians of the Galaxy today, for instance, and I get up to 50ms spikes (sometimes above) with scene changes, auto saves, new area loading (etc), and not infrequently. It's the engine. It varies by game; in some I have minor, infrequent frametime spikes, in others, I have moderate and frequent.

While you can reduce spikes, you usually can't eliminate them, especially with the majority of current gen games. The most underestimated and overlooked factor when troubleshooting frametime spikes is the quirks and limitations of the game engine itself (including netcode, shader compilation, I/O access, etc), and there aren't that many efficient engines out there.

That said, the sound "audibly" cutting out during frametime spikes is the only thing that seems potentially abnormal in your case, but you didn't share your audio configuration at all, and whether these spikes were reduced if you unplugged your audio devices and disabled them in the OS.
the latency mon was running with nothing rinning in background. ive tried various sound tweaks that didnt change anything the only thing that "improved" frame pacing was running audio through DP cabel and plugging headphones in my monitor that way the frames were less jittery anything else i tried made 0 change. i folowed FR33THY lateency and optimizations made the system a bit more responsive but thats all about it. maybe u are right that im trying to fix something that nobody can fix. maybe im just unlucky that im so sensitive to these frame time spikes. did a little test i let my whife play the game and she didnt notice any stutter but i did so a lot of people dont even see them. did try varios mouse pooling rates and even got a xtrify MZ1 tht doesnt use any software

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 28 Dec 2021, 12:17

nuk_won wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 10:07
maybe u are right that im trying to fix something that nobody can fix. maybe im just unlucky that im so sensitive to these frame time spikes. did a little test i let my whife play the game and she didnt notice any stutter but i did so a lot of people dont even see them. did try varios mouse pooling rates and even got a xtrify MZ1 tht doesnt use any software
I noticed in your framerate and frametime graph that you seem to be playing with an uncapped framerate?

Have you tried capping to something your system can sustain 99% in the given game with RTSS or Nvidia Max Frame Rate and checking your graphs then? That should eliminate all of the non-frametime spike variances, and leave only the start up, load time, I/O, and CPU/GPU spikes visible, which may give a better idea on whether you're experiencing anything out of the ordinary.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 28 Dec 2021, 13:29

nuk_won wrote:
latency mon shows that kernal timer latency is high but doesnt say how to fix it.i get 10-50ms frametime spikes in all games online/singleplayer. most of them are when going in a new area or loading level or a granade goes off generated by sound. ive tried a lot of things bios tweaks. fresh instals windows 10/11. tried optimizations etc. overclock/undervoltage.smt on off. xpm on off. bios game mode on off.c states disabled. ultimate powerplan others deleted.all drivers up to date. amd chipset drivers tried unnistaling them tried without them no change.when the stutter happens the gpu sage goes to 0% a spike in cpu usage and frame time jumps to 10-50ms i get a visual stutter sound cut out and then everthing goes back to normal. ive changed ssd. psu. ram. gpu. built pc outside the case. disconected usb devices. been batteling this for months now. maybe its just a cpu bottlenck that im facing here? any help or idea how to fix this would be nice thx.
cpu; ryzen 5 3600
Hello nuk_won,

If you're really interested in getting your Kernel latency down to 1ms try to download an application called DPC Latency Checker V1.4.0, for some reason that was the only application that I found to force the kernel latency timer down to around the 1ms mark, with timer resolution I was able to force it even lower, hovering around the 0.05-0.15ms latency mark. But I don't think that I noticed anything changing to the extent of my being super hyped about it or to keep it on all the time.
The application does not even need to be running btw, just open it and watch your Kernel Timer go down :)! Why this application in specific? I have no idea, but if I had to guess, maybe it forces the system into some sort of a sensitive low latency mode state.
I also attached a picture that shows how the kernel timer would be with the application on + ISLC Timer Resolution set to 0.51! Also worth to mention that I had Microsoft edge with 8 tabs, Riots Client, Valorant Game, G Skill Trident and my audio interface app all running in the background.
Hope it helps you out mate! Let me know :)
Attachments
LatencyMon.jpg
LatencyMon.jpg (319.25 KiB) Viewed 12639 times
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

nuk_won

Post by nuk_won » 29 Dec 2021, 04:44

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 13:29
nuk_won wrote:
cpu; ryzen 5 3600
Hello nuk_won,

If you're really interested in getting your Kernel latency down to 1ms try to download an application called DPC Latency Checker V1.4.0, for some reason that was the only application that I found to force the kernel latency timer down to around the 1ms mark, with timer resolution I was able to force it even lower, hovering around the 0.05-0.15ms latency mark. But I don't think that I noticed anything changing to the extent of my being super hyped about it or to keep it on all the time.
The application does not even need to be running btw, just open it and watch your Kernel Timer go down :)! Why this application in specific? I have no idea, but if I had to guess, maybe it forces the system into some sort of a sensitive low latency mode state.
I also attached a picture that shows how the kernel timer would be with the application on + ISLC Timer Resolution set to 0.51! Also worth to mention that I had Microsoft edge with 8 tabs, Riots Client, Valorant Game, G Skill Trident and my audio interface app all running in the background.
thx i will try it. when i get home

nuk_won

Post by nuk_won » 29 Dec 2021, 04:50

jorimt wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 12:17
nuk_won wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 10:07
maybe u are right that im trying to fix something that nobody can fix. maybe im just unlucky that im so sensitive to these frame time spikes. did a little test i let my whife play the game and she didnt notice any stutter but i did so a lot of people dont even see them. did try varios mouse pooling rates and even got a xtrify MZ1 tht doesnt use any software
I noticed in your framerate and frametime graph that you seem to be playing with an uncapped framerate?

Have you tried capping to something your system can sustain 99% in the given game with RTSS or Nvidia Max Frame Rate and checking your graphs then? That should eliminate all of the non-frametime spike variances, and leave only the start up, load time, I/O, and CPU/GPU spikes visible, which may give a better idea on whether you're experiencing anything out of the ordinary.
i tried doing this once.i tried lowes resolution and all game setting turned to low and caped fps at 60 then to 30 and 10fps the spikes were still there. there is like a specific pattern in them 3 spikes in a row starting from 10ms to 20-30 and then a 10-15fps slowdown for 2-3 seconds and then everting goes back to normal ive tried this in coulpe games and and it seems to be the same in all of those games. might vary slightly

nuk_won

Post by nuk_won » 29 Dec 2021, 05:17

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
nuk_won wrote:
cpu; ryzen 5 3600
Hello nuk_won,

i download the DPC. i got them down but i know u are not suposted to run ion while gaming. i lunched the game and every time when there is a spike in game the DPC registers thaat and i dont know what is causing that
Attachments
800000.jpg
800000.jpg (311.59 KiB) Viewed 12536 times

nuk_won

Post by nuk_won » 29 Dec 2021, 05:23

nuk_won wrote:
29 Dec 2021, 05:17
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
nuk_won wrote:
cpu; ryzen 5 3600
Hello nuk_won,

i download the DPC. i got them down but i know u are not suposted to run ion while gaming. i lunched the game and every time when there is a spike in game the DPC registers thaat and i dont know what is causing that
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS WAS WHILE PLAYING A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:23:19 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: NUK_WON
OS version: Windows 11, 10.0, version 2009, build: 22000 (x64)
Hardware: MS-7B89, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BIOS: 2.E3
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
Logical processors: 12
Processor groups: 1
Processor group size: 12
RAM: 16309 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed (WMI): 280 MHz
Reported CPU speed (registry): 360 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED KERNEL TIMER LATENCIES
This value represents the maximum measured latency of a perodically scheduled kernel timer.

Highest measured kernel timer latency (µs): 12589.0

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 12.910
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.001663
Driver with highest ISR total time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.001663

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 192350
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 9646.570
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 497.29 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.096118
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 497.29 , NVIDIA Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.237731

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 4686745
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs): 8
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 172

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: steam.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 112697
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 57712
Number of processes hit: 76

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 45.002586
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 0 ISR count: 0
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 9646.570
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 4.127841
CPU 0 DPC count: 2119888
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.042989
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 1 ISR count: 0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 263.330
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.169817
CPU 1 DPC count: 73586
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.805262
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR count: 0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 262.460
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.337760
CPU 2 DPC count: 138884
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.310774
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 261.990
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.162498
CPU 3 DPC count: 69808
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 39.432189
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR count: 0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 267.210
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 10.391425
CPU 4 DPC count: 646964
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 65.063083
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR count: 0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 308.490
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 19.596712
CPU 5 DPC count: 1172830
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 5.973776
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR count: 0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 197.640
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.205412
CPU 6 DPC count: 59842
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 5.254133
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR count: 0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 94.330
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.085847
CPU 7 DPC count: 28256
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s): 15.739154
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs): 12.910
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s): 0.235028
CPU 8 ISR count: 167085
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs): 130.130
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s): 3.701164
CPU 8 DPC count: 227878
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s): 8.330370
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs): 10.720
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s): 0.044386
CPU 9 ISR count: 25265
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs): 107.70
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s): 0.686464
CPU 9 DPC count: 62661
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s): 5.932027
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 10 ISR count: 0
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs): 248.880
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s): 0.165602
CPU 10 DPC count: 43944
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s): 6.034973
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 11 ISR count: 0
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs): 248.970
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s): 0.301127
CPU 11 DPC count: 42384
Attachments
nvidia.jpg
nvidia.jpg (342.82 KiB) Viewed 12535 times
drivers.jpg
drivers.jpg (447.75 KiB) Viewed 12535 times
cpu.jpg
cpu.jpg (289.33 KiB) Viewed 12535 times

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 29 Dec 2021, 07:05

it looks like the Nvidia driver is not enjoying its time on your PC. It could be a lot of things tbh, from power delivery to your card, to the card heating up, a settings problem or a driver issue in general for your card, even running something like HWinfo or MSI afterburner during the DPC latency checker would cause DPC spikes and issues.

So the kernel timer did not go down at all after opening the latency checker? thats weird it works for me and i am on windows 11. Anyways, have you ever tried locking your GPU frequency at a certain speed? from MSI afterburner press "CTRL + F" then pick the frequency you want "make sure its something that your card can actually maintain without overheating or anything" then press "L or K i can't remember" you'll see a dotted vertical line appear, after that you can just go back to MSI Afterburner's main interface and hit Apply. This will force a certain frequency and voltage to be applied all the time to your gpu, which will prevent it from clocking up or down from whatever you have previously set. You can close afterburner afterwards the settings will be saved for your session until you restart your PC "to be sure just check your gpu clock speed after closing MSI afterburning with something else like HWinfo".

Let me know how it goes..
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini