Is it possible that Steam is restricting its users?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
WelcomeInNewWorld

Is it possible that Steam is restricting its users?

Post by WelcomeInNewWorld » 01 Jan 2022, 04:23

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I recognize myself in many of the reports that people make about their situations in their respective games.

I have spent hours reading this forum for months and I must say that your forum is incredible because we feel the real discomfort of the players as well as the solidarity of each other to highlight the problems of freezes, latency, mouse feel heavy, desynchronization and so on.
Is it a problem of components? electricity? internet? interference? waves? or software?

Because for my part I only play CSGO and I had big problems of desynchronization and I noticed something very strange. I had two Steam accounts and I created a third one a week ago in order to check the comments of some people and especially someone on this forum who is called "Victor910" and whose comments about a possible functioning of Steam have really confused me. You will note that I weigh my words I said "possible" it is only assumptions because this person has no evidence.

Also before creating this account I changed the refresh rate of my screen from 240 Hz to 144 Hz because sadly my FPS are closer to 240 FPS than 400 FPS

The new account I created a week ago is perfect, the game is fluid, no desynchronization and all the moves are recorded very well, I am amazed. I can't remember the feeling when I created my first account because it was a long time ago, but it was also the case when I created my second account before the performance deteriorated. How to explain this?

So my question is, is it possible that Steam is clamping players' accounts without their knowledge? is it due to a possible configuration? software conflict? bad user behavior?

If anyone has any information I'm interested because I'm in complete doubt.

I take this opportunity to wish a very happy new year to everyone.

Very sincerely.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible that Steam is restricting its users?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2022, 12:47

It's typically just per-game configuration that's memorized differently by different steam user.

Not all games do this, but some memorize their game settings separately by login.

You can try to search for all the configuration files and compare the difference between the separate configurations -- for games that store separate configurations per separate account.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 02 Jan 2022, 20:35

Indeed my son, i once created this new steam account as well as a brand new windows 10 partition in my ssd, the game worked flawlessly for 5-6 days, i was in AWE, i thought that this is it, some days after that the lagged returned slowly but surely, I don't know what i did exactly for it to return, i remember i did something that i thought I wasn't supposed to be doing (possible logging into my new account in my original windows partition and perhaps due to it being laggy and having laggy configuration, that got copied to my new account and the lag started again)?.

Not sure, anyways i tried to replicate that another time but it didn't work for whatever reason.

I might give it one more time.

I heard many people who have this laggy account issue, who also did the same thing of creating new accounts anf their game of working flawlessly for few hours-days.
The theory i heard is that steam/valve is trying to limit the number of good players so not too many players climb up the ladder so fast and becoming pro tier, this might take away from the excitement we csgo pro matches viewes get when we see the pros shoot n make highlights.
I suspect this is somewhat true.

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 02 Jan 2022, 20:39

I truly think there are many many players who have this issue and dont realise, for sure.

I see many players with 4-7k hours stuck in silver-mg/level 3-4 who have very good understanding of the game, game mechanics, good movement yet their bullets seem not to work, before i thought their dumb with no natural talent but after doing many many tests myself and seeing how night n day gameplay feels like with and without lag, i give these guys the benefit of the doubt.

naporitan

Post by naporitan » 02 Jan 2022, 22:43

calm down it's not steam... our computers really don't function properly...
I know a booster, and he's been taking other people's accounts and raising elo on faceit for years.
all we have to do is ask the chief blurbusters to do an investigation on it!!!

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 03 Jan 2022, 02:45

assombrosso wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 20:35
Indeed my son, i once created this new steam account as well as a brand new windows 10 partition in my ssd, the game worked flawlessly for 5-6 days, i was in AWE, i thought that this is it, some days after that the lagged returned slowly but surely, I don't know what i did exactly for it to return, i remember i did something that i thought I wasn't supposed to be doing (possible logging into my new account in my original windows partition and perhaps due to it being laggy and having laggy configuration, that got copied to my new account and the lag started again)?.

Not sure, anyways i tried to replicate that another time but it didn't work for whatever reason.

I might give it one more time.

I heard many people who have this laggy account issue, who also did the same thing of creating new accounts anf their game of working flawlessly for few hours-days.
The theory i heard is that steam/valve is trying to limit the number of good players so not too many players climb up the ladder so fast and becoming pro tier, this might take away from the excitement we csgo pro matches viewes get when we see the pros shoot n make highlights.
I suspect this is somewhat true.
Dont worry man this problem happens even without steam installed on fresh instaled windows in any game if you are fully aware this idea about steam nerf a players was dissmised long time ago

WelcomeInNewWorld

Post by WelcomeInNewWorld » 03 Jan 2022, 03:30

This game is too complicated. You do an update on Windows your feeling in the game can be different, you install a driver your feeling can be different, you change settings in the bios your feeling can be different, you install a software like Faceit AC you lose FPS and your feeling in the game is different.
What's wrong with this game? :)

Mister Chief Blur Buster, can you please inform me. I have two hard drives: 1 ssd 250 GB and 1 ssd M.2 500 GB. Do I have to prefer one hard drive for OS installation? And is it recommended to install Steam on the other blank hard drive for better performance? doesn't it add latency? thanks

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 03 Jan 2022, 07:28

It’s possible; this could be related to caching, configs, and other things of the user sandbox. Try to analyze all the files and registry keys being written while playing in each account to get a clue on all “per-account” settings.

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 03 Jan 2022, 07:37

If it's about steam, then it's about battle.net aswell (Warzone and Overwatch).

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 03 Jan 2022, 07:45

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 07:37
If it's about steam, then it's about battle.net aswell (Warzone and Overwatch).
Remember my game havin horrible horrendous input lag in cod mw indeed.

But different steam accounts give different feel when it comes to smoothness, its been confirmed and tested. Its a separate issue than electricity input lag that affect the whole pc which most of this forum suffer from