Do these “Regedit Tweaks” really do something?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
MatrixQW

Re: Do these “Regedit Tweaks” really do something?

Post by MatrixQW » 15 Jan 2022, 21:44

Like most people already said, you shouldn't change anything in Windows apart from a few settings.
Don't touch bcdedit commands, apply registry tweaks, mess with affinity for devices, etc.
Most boards don't allow you to disable HPET and there is no need. Windows won't use it unless a program calls it. Games don't.
Games already change the system timer to 1ms, no need to force it to 0.5.

What I recommend is:
- Configure BIOS correctly
- Devices in Message Signaled Interrupts mode (msi utility app)
- Windows NetworkThrottlingIndex disabled (no option, only regedit)
- Windows power plan in high performance
- Nvidia power mode in maximum performance (program settings instead of global)

This will give you stability, better frametimes and less stutters, not that you will have more fps.

GPUs have a built-in boost mode. When frequency changes it can cause stutters.
It's possible to keep the card always in boost mode but the downside is it will never clock down. If electricity or heat is an issue, don't do it.
It's done by enabling PowerMizer in registry.
I tested it and it works but I will only post it if someone asks and wants to give it a try to see if it solves stutters.

Headglitch123

Post by Headglitch123 » 15 Jan 2022, 22:00

MatrixQW wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 21:44
Like most people already said, you shouldn't change anything in Windows apart from a few settings.
Don't touch bcdedit commands, apply registry tweaks, mess with affinity for devices, etc.
Most boards don't allow you to disable HPET and there is no need. Windows won't use it unless a program calls it. Games don't.
Games already change the system timer to 1ms, no need to force it to 0.5.

What I recommend is:
- Configure BIOS correctly
- Devices in Message Signaled Interrupts mode (msi utility app)
- Windows NetworkThrottlingIndex disabled (no option, only regedit)
- Windows power plan in high performance
- Nvidia power mode in maximum performance (program settings instead of global)

This will give you stability, better frametimes and less stutters, not that you will have more fps.

GPUs have a built-in boost mode. When frequency changes it can cause stutters.
It's possible to keep the card always in boost mode but the downside is it will never clock down. If electricity or heat is an issue, don't do it.
It's done by enabling PowerMizer in registry.
I tested it and it works but I will only post it if someone asks and wants to give it a try to see if it solves stutters.
Like i said these optimizations wont do a thing for apex, just to be clear to u guys i only play apex legends atm, but the game feels so unresponsive during daytime, even with 100 tweaks. I just think its a electricity issue or either my internet because i’m using a 4g router, bufferbloat is pretty high too ( F )

My mouse feels really heavy too and feels like dragging it tru mud, it keeps getting better when time fly’s by during day its worse, during night its getting better.

My mouse is a logitech x superlight and I’ve swapped the stock feet for corepads. No difference in movement, still choppy/heavy

Tried my little brothers pc (Different home) he basically have the same cpu and gpu as me, however he has a different mobo and psu, his system feels wayyyyy different then mine, wayy smoother and moving the mouse is actually not heavy and I actually enjoyed playing games without being stressed lmao

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 15 Jan 2022, 22:07

The topic is registry tweaks, you are talking about an issue with a game.
What I recommended is about stability, has nothing to do with input lag or affects how a game feels.
No tweaks will solve your issue, wich is probably internet or electricity like you say.
Take your PC to his house and see how it feels.
Last edited by MatrixQW on 15 Jan 2022, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

Headglitch123

Post by Headglitch123 » 15 Jan 2022, 22:10

MatrixQW wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 22:07
What I recommended is about stability, has nothing to do with input lag or affects how a game feels.
No tweaks will solve your issue, wich is probably internet or electricity like you say.
Yeah i know, my bad 😅

just wanted to throw that out of my “mouth”

Headglitch123

Post by Headglitch123 » 15 Jan 2022, 22:15

MatrixQW wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 22:07
Take your PC to his house and see how it feels.
Already did, i have a data limit so i always bring my pc to “his” house to download games. However i think i didnt noticed anything, still the same i belive, could it be psu or mobo issue? My psu is a cv550 and my mobo is a asrock b450m. He has a cooler master psu, pretty expensive one (Dont know the name) and a rog strix b450 f

Gpu/cpu we have gtx 1660 super and amd ryzen 5 3600

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 15 Jan 2022, 22:21

Did you take other devices (monitor, mouse, keyboard) or just the PC case?
If was just the PC case, I would ask him to try his PSU on your PC.
If that's not possible, buy one like his, try it and return it if everything is still bad.

Headglitch123

Post by Headglitch123 » 15 Jan 2022, 22:29

MatrixQW wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 22:21
Did you take other devices (monitor, mouse, keyboard) or just the PC case?
If was just the PC case, I would ask him to try his PSU on your PC.
If that's not possible, buy one like his, try it and return it if everything is still bad.
Everything, used his k&m on my system, still the same and used my k&m on his system and its smooth. We have the same monitor aswell, aoc 24g2u.

I’ll try his psu if i i’m there, probably next week, i will keep this post updated even tho its out of topic. If you have any tips left just throw it