Do these “Regedit Tweaks” really do something?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Headglitch123

Do these “Regedit Tweaks” really do something?

Post by Headglitch123 » 08 Jan 2022, 09:10

For example in the fr33thy optimizations pack, do they improve fps/1%, 0.1%? Or even make it worse?

I’m trying to get the best out of my system to ensure i have best gaming experience possible. If u guys can leave some tips down here it would be really appreciated

WelcomeInNewWorld

Re: Do these “Regedit Tweaks” really do something?

Post by WelcomeInNewWorld » 08 Jan 2022, 20:30

Frankly my friend, if you have all your computer components working well, a good network, and a healthy electricity it's useless, it's in my opinion, in all humility, snake oil.
Certainly there is some truth in what he says, but you learn that over time with your own experiences.
I'm caricaturing a bit, but every self-respecting gamer knows that you have to disable mouse acceleration in Windows for FPS, it's nothing, but it's part of the optimization, but to go from changing registry keys to the right and the left, that's when it becomes snake oil. Do you think that the staff that manages the logistics and the installation of the computers on the biggest tournaments in lan changes registry keys, installs software that modifies the interrupt affinities etc ? of course not
You format Windows properly, you install your drivers properly, you update Windows, you optimize Windows and Nvidia and you're done :)

Headglitch123

Post by Headglitch123 » 08 Jan 2022, 22:00

WelcomeInNewWorld wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 20:30
Frankly my friend, if you have all your computer components working well, a good network, and a healthy electricity it's useless, it's in my opinion, in all humility, snake oil.
Certainly there is some truth in what he says, but you learn that over time with your own experiences.
I'm caricaturing a bit, but every self-respecting gamer knows that you have to disable mouse acceleration in Windows for FPS, it's nothing, but it's part of the optimization, but to go from changing registry keys to the right and the left, that's when it becomes snake oil. Do you think that the staff that manages the logistics and the installation of the computers on the biggest tournaments in lan changes registry keys, installs software that modifies the interrupt affinities etc ? of course not
You format Windows properly, you install your drivers properly, you update Windows, you optimize Windows and Nvidia and you're done :)
About electricity. My pc is slow at day time and when everyone is sleeping my pc becomes smooth. I notice that expacially in apex legends, where movement is sluggish and aiming is very hard. But maybe thats server related, idk. Other games feels heavy too but not that choppy in apex.

About optimize windows, what are your top priority's when u fresh installed? Settings, audio, network adapter (Disable power-saving features? Chipset drivers, maybe? do they even do something, idk lol. optimize powerplan?

WelcomeInNewWorld

Post by WelcomeInNewWorld » 09 Jan 2022, 08:12

I don't know if you have an electricity problem. I know that the latter can be the cause of some cases, but for you I don't know.
Is it not because you have your family connected to wi-fi during the day? Are you connected by ethernet cable?
For my part there is no "absolute priority" to respect during a fresh installation but rather an order to respect to be the most coherent possible. In this order:
- Take two USB keys, one for Windows and the other for your drivers. For the installation of Windows choose the UEFI mode if your motherboard is more or less recent, or the Legacy mode if it is old. For the drivers (if you are on Intel, sorry I don't know AMD) you have to go on the manufacturer's site of your motherboard and take only the driver of your chipset, the IME driver and the network driver. You get the last driver of your graphic card on the Nvidia website, with a program like NVCleaninstall to remove all superfluous stuff from your graphic card. The driver of your screen if you have one. Recover the DirectX package, recover the Visual C++ package, and finally recover a program called WindowsUpdateShowHide. Now you have all the drivers you need.
- Before formatting, and this order is I think quite important put your default bios configuration with only the power saving of disabled and 2 or 3 frills like the Intel Storage Technology or even Armoury Crate if you are at Asus to disable, but overall leave the original bios.
- You disconnect the internet before the installation so that Windows doesn't install obsolete drivers that completely truncate your installation.
- When you arrive on the desktop after the whole installation process you still don't connect to the internet and you install the driver of your chipset, you reboot, you install the IME driver, you reboot (it won't be asked but it seems healthier to me) you install the network driver. You install the driver of your graphic card using the software mentioned above. You update your screen if necessary. Now the drivers of your components are installed properly.
- Before connecting to the internet you need to disable the automatic update of devices in Windows, and only then you connect to the internet and simultaneously after connecting to the internet you launch the WindowsUpdateShowHide program and this in order to check all the drivers that represent your components, especially not the Windows updates, your drivers are up to date you have done it previously why mess up with an overlay you do not need :)
- You update Windows.
- You optimize Windows with only mouse acceleration to be disabled, put in high in the power settings, logical settings like privacy etc ... you can also remove the power saving only on the various USB ports
- As far as Nvidia is concerned, there are for me two fundamental settings which are the scaling for better response time as well as the power setting of your graphics card.
- If you play a game like CS:GO (sorry the rest I don't know) you have to make settings in Windows for the sound.
- There are also the firmwares of your keyboard/mouse/headset that you should not neglect for my part on my mouse I needed it, ditto for my headset.

After having done all these steps, when you turn on Windows without any program in the background, you check on LatencyMon and MouseTester if your configuration is consistent.

If nothing helps after all that, I don't know what else to tell you except that sometimes updating your bios can help or make it worse (if you have faulty hardware)
Also think about plugging your computer etc into a grounded outlet.
Good luck ;)

Headglitch123

Post by Headglitch123 » 09 Jan 2022, 11:45

WelcomeInNewWorld wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 08:12
I don't know if you have an electricity problem. I know that the latter can be the cause of some cases, but for you I don't know.
Is it not because you have your family connected to wi-fi during the day? Are you connected by ethernet cable?
For my part there is no "absolute priority" to respect during a fresh installation but rather an order to respect to be the most coherent possible. In this order:
- Take two USB keys, one for Windows and the other for your drivers. For the installation of Windows choose the UEFI mode if your motherboard is more or less recent, or the Legacy mode if it is old. For the drivers (if you are on Intel, sorry I don't know AMD) you have to go on the manufacturer's site of your motherboard and take only the driver of your chipset, the IME driver and the network driver. You get the last driver of your graphic card on the Nvidia website, with a program like NVCleaninstall to remove all superfluous stuff from your graphic card. The driver of your screen if you have one. Recover the DirectX package, recover the Visual C++ package, and finally recover a program called WindowsUpdateShowHide. Now you have all the drivers you need.
- Before formatting, and this order is I think quite important put your default bios configuration with only the power saving of disabled and 2 or 3 frills like the Intel Storage Technology or even Armoury Crate if you are at Asus to disable, but overall leave the original bios.
- You disconnect the internet before the installation so that Windows doesn't install obsolete drivers that completely truncate your installation.
- When you arrive on the desktop after the whole installation process you still don't connect to the internet and you install the driver of your chipset, you reboot, you install the IME driver, you reboot (it won't be asked but it seems healthier to me) you install the network driver. You install the driver of your graphic card using the software mentioned above. You update your screen if necessary. Now the drivers of your components are installed properly.
- Before connecting to the internet you need to disable the automatic update of devices in Windows, and only then you connect to the internet and simultaneously after connecting to the internet you launch the WindowsUpdateShowHide program and this in order to check all the drivers that represent your components, especially not the Windows updates, your drivers are up to date you have done it previously why mess up with an overlay you do not need :)
- You update Windows.
- You optimize Windows with only mouse acceleration to be disabled, put in high in the power settings, logical settings like privacy etc ... you can also remove the power saving only on the various USB ports
- As far as Nvidia is concerned, there are for me two fundamental settings which are the scaling for better response time as well as the power setting of your graphics card.
- If you play a game like CS:GO (sorry the rest I don't know) you have to make settings in Windows for the sound.
- There are also the firmwares of your keyboard/mouse/headset that you should not neglect for my part on my mouse I needed it, ditto for my headset.

After having done all these steps, when you turn on Windows without any program in the background, you check on LatencyMon and MouseTester if your configuration is consistent.

If nothing helps after all that, I don't know what else to tell you except that sometimes updating your bios can help or make it worse (if you have faulty hardware)
Also think about plugging your computer etc into a grounded outlet.
Good luck ;)
Sometimes i have electrical shocks coming from my pc, for example when i touch the glass panel with my chin. But that only occurs on a type c outlet. I think. Didnt noticed it on a type f tho, but still on a type f outlet my pc is really sluggish. I have only 1 outlet with a type f downstairs the rest is all type c's so i need to plug first a extension cord then a powerstrip in order to power my pc. The weird thing is that my little brothers pc is connected to a type c outlet and his system feels much smoother. And no shocks

What i do when i fresh install, i usally disable automatic drivers in gpedit. Install nvidia drivers, debloat them. put them in msi mode, using fr33thy's powerplan, configure islc force lower timing 0.499 and installing chipset drivers. configure nvcp for best performance/low latency. Gamebar off in settings and regedit > value 0. Installing steam/epicgames. Optimize them, disabling any overlays or hardware accel. And basic windows optimizations.

Oh yeah forgot. I'm using ethernet yes but in a weird way. I'm using 4g and my phone has a usb c to usb adapter and i also have a usb to ethernet adapter. So i'm plugging the usb to ethernet adapter in my phone and connecting my cable in the adapter thingy

WelcomeInNewWorld

Post by WelcomeInNewWorld » 09 Jan 2022, 13:34

you do too much in "optimization" if I may say so. Do you think that players in a lan major play with ISLC ? :)
Same for MSI mode, if you have Intel + Nvidia MSI mode is unchecked you must leave it unchecked

Stimpy7314

Post by Stimpy7314 » 09 Jan 2022, 14:26

WelcomeInNewWorld wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 13:34
you do too much in "optimization" if I may say so. Do you think that players in a lan major play with ISLC ? :)
Same for MSI mode, if you have Intel + Nvidia MSI mode is unchecked you must leave it unchecked
No i have amd + nvidia

With islc timer forced to 0.499 i can really feel a difference between forced or not configured, it also lowers driver latency. Many People claim that but t could be wrong tho

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 09 Jan 2022, 15:02

These tweaks are additional only. No one avg user, without" input / output lag", have these tweaks, they often have very bloated systems with many running programms, services, updates, drivers, other trash. Only "fanatics" like us doing this :shock:, average user do a ccleaner once a year in the best case scenario, I suppose. :|

Headglitch123

Post by Headglitch123 » 09 Jan 2022, 15:41

InputLagger wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 15:02
These tweaks are additional only. No one avg user, without" input / output lag", have these tweaks, they often have very bloated systems with many running programms, services, updates, drivers, other trash. Only "fanatics" like us doing this :shock:, average user do a ccleaner once a year in the best case scenario, I suppose. :|
Okay, but how do i get rid of the sluggish/heavy movement in apex and prob other games too

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 14 Jan 2022, 04:57

Headglitch123 wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 15:41
InputLagger wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 15:02
Okay, but how do i get rid of the sluggish/heavy movement in apex and prob other games too
The reg tweaks "can" reduce input lag by some nanoseconds seconds. In many cases, reg tweaks actually make the whole input lag less consistent. And it messes with windows. Tweaks like: disable Hibernate, disable HPET, Disable DWM, Disable Fullscreen Optimization etc in the registry influence alot of other things, and can easily increase lag if something is wrong. For example, when I disable HPET I have less FPS and so worse Input lag. It's not worth it for some nanoseconds at all.

Those are the most powerfull ways to reduce lag:

-Upgrade GPU/Monitor/CPU/RAM
-Overclock GPU/CPU/Ram/Monitor
-Set up your bios
-Do a fresh windows install
-Debloat Windows
-Strip Nvidia/AMD Drivers
-Disable Unnecessary Devices/Services
-Set GPU to MSI Mode

Don't do:

-Registry Tweaks
-Disable important Devices/Services
-Set Interrupt Affinitys
Etc

So much stuff increase lag if you have no idea, what it does or if it's good for your PC. Every PC is different...
Only tweak registry settings and all this small stuff, if you have a latency analyzer.