Help me solve my weird Valorant lag/stutter/frame skipping issue (Info in thread)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
peetnavratil

Help me solve my weird Valorant lag/stutter/frame skipping issue (Info in thread)

Post by peetnavratil » 10 Jan 2022, 10:09

I recently contacted Riot VALORANT Support about this issue I'm having - if any of you could help me to fix this issue I would be really glad. Text from the support request below:

I would like to discuss and potentially solve issue that I'm having for a really long time now.

I tried basically every possible fix known to me, but I still haven't found a solution yet. Due to this, I'm trying my luck here, as I'm hoping that some of you have already encountered this issue before.

Even tho this might sound a bit crazy at first; let me start with short info about me, as this might get you a better POV of the problem and for example you might have a better idea whom to forward this ticket to.

I played Counter-Strike and Call of Duty on semi-professional level for around 10 years, and since Beta i started playing Valorant. I have an IT degree so I might be more sensitive to some of the PC stuff (like lag, stutters, latency and such...)

Problem: Whenever I play there is a small lag happening on random occasions. This is sometimes leading to me losing the gunfight or overpeeking in some scenarios.

Video link: https://streamable.com/gu5i17

It feels like dropped frames/micro stutter that is going on randomly. It happens in any possible scenario (Gunfight, strafing, jumping, etc...)

I even tried to replicate it in every possible game mode, to be sure it's not just happening in DM.

Also before contanting you I tried many possible things that could be the cause of this. My network is packet loss free, without noticable bufferbloat with around 30ms ping. I tried both Windows 10 & Windows 11 fresh installs, happens on both. Also, while this is happening I made sure that there are no FPS drops as you can see in video above, that FPS are constantly at 280 locked.

Feel free to contact me about anything that you might need from me, as I'll be very thankfull if we could resolve this annoying issue.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600X underwolted
GTX 1060
ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
G.SKILL 2x16GB@3600MHz (DOCP)
Samsung 970 Evo M2 SSD
Running on Clean Win 11 currently, stripped Win installation (removed unecessary stuff)
VG259QM at 280Hz

Thank you kindly and have a nice day!

Peet

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Help me solve my weird Valorant lag/stutter/frame skipping issue (Info in thread)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jan 2022, 13:36

Moving to Lag Forum
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

assombrosso

Re: Help me solve my weird Valorant lag/stutter/frame skipping issue (Info in thread)

Post by assombrosso » 11 Jan 2022, 13:42

Why do you have the same pc build as me lol. I was suspecting that one part or combination of these pc parts simply dont work well together, either the mobo,cpu,ram is not compatible with each other. I get 400-500 fps in csgo and the game feels like shit. Have you had this issue with this pc ? Or many pcs before?

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 11 Jan 2022, 15:44

When i s look at your setup i have to think there still may be something wrong with these 5600x cpu. I can confirm that undervolt that cpu give me time limited smooth gaming performance

akylen

Post by akylen » 11 Jan 2022, 16:19

Could you list things you tried ? to try to pin point where it could come from

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 20 Jun 2022, 17:22

Ever find out the cause of this issue?

I have similar specs as your PC, same cpu, same monitor, etc. and have been facing similar issues with Valorant.

Sirito

Post by Sirito » 20 Jun 2022, 18:56

I think this is a network jitter, last patch introduced more graphs, enable Network RTT jitter graph and check it.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 21 Jun 2022, 05:05

Have you tried the w11 insider build?

Fixed my leak which happened to hit val hardest.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 21 Jun 2022, 19:32

Vocaleyes wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 05:05
Have you tried the w11 insider build?

Fixed my leak which happened to hit val hardest.
Which build is this.

Just joined the insider program, and am using the beta build.

Do I need the beta build or the insider preview build for the fix?

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 22 Jun 2022, 01:24

Am not 100%, but think the beta build.
I was a few months ago so I assume that the beta build will be the most stable.