Playing in black and white reduced a substantial amount of input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
assombrosso

Playing in black and white reduced a substantial amount of input lag

Post by assombrosso » 11 Jan 2022, 06:58

As a notorious blurbuster user, i come here to confirm that changing my monitors colour settings to black and white only has helped reduce my input lag, it didn't get red of the problem totally but mouse became abit more lighter, i can control spray, getting headshots is easier, no more screen tearing fps dropping laggy looking things.

This could be placebo but every game i played after i did that i was top fragging and had no issue killing opponents.

Perhaps changing the colour made the visual lag and stutter appear less to my eyes which tricked me into thinking the overall lag has reduced but trust me when i say this, i really dont believe thats the case, i believe it has indeed reduced the overall input lag/lag in my game.
Give it a try for 3 games and see the difference yourself.

It didn't fix the entire problem, i would say only 30-35% of it, and that's alot imo.

A back in the day fresh windows reinstall made my game 80% better but that lasts for few hours and sometimes few minutes.

JDoe

Re: Playing in black and white reduced a substantial amount of input lag

Post by JDoe » 14 Jan 2022, 07:04

Have you tried playing with the monitor turned off? I bet that eliminates input lag completely.

F7LTY

Post by F7LTY » 14 Jan 2022, 14:40

JDoe wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 07:04
Have you tried playing with the monitor turned off? I bet that eliminates input lag completely.
:cry: :lol:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jan 2022, 14:47

assombrosso wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 06:58
As a notorious blurbuster user, i come here to confirm that changing my monitors colour settings to black and white only has helped reduce my input lag, it didn't get red of the problem totally but mouse became abit more lighter, i can control spray, getting headshots is easier, no more screen tearing fps dropping laggy looking things.
Changing to black and white may indeed affect electronic lag ever so slightly depending on how the black & white formula is mathematically calculated (e.g. formula on R,G,B, or just only using G as luma), and if gamma is modified during this mode.

Changing contrast ratio is known to move LCD GtG to less GtG-laggy parts of the monitor panel's gamut. So keeping color but changing contrast ratio (raising black levels a little) can sometimes do the same thing while keeping color -- e.g. shadow boost. Dark colors on VA panels are very slow (slow GtG can result in slower human reaction time too), as LCD GtG is sort of part of the "input lag chain", although humans will start to see the photons from LCD pixel transitions early in the curve, the longer the pixel response curve, the more latency to button-to-photons.

I recommend most photodiode lag testers stopwatch at either GtG10% or GtG50% for a more realistic mapping to human reaction time (versus GtG0% or GtG100%) -- different reviewers test differently.

Also, the human vision can react faster to brighter colors, so turning all those reds/blues into whites, can possibly brighten things up somewhat, like a crude method of a shadow boost feature or other image-enhancing setting built into a monitor.

Verdict: Plausible, based on science
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 14 Jan 2022, 20:32

JDoe wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 07:04
My friend said the same thing when i told him about this lol.

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 14 Jan 2022, 20:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 14:47
assombrosso wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 06:58
Changing to black and white may indeed affect electronic lag ever so slightly depending on how the black & white formula is mathematically calculated (e.g. formula on R,G,B, or just only using G as luma), and if gamma is modified during this mode.

Changing contrast ratio is known to move LCD GtG to less GtG-laggy parts of the monitor panel's gamut. So keeping color but changing contrast ratio (raising black levels a little) can sometimes do the same thing while keeping color -- e.g. shadow boost. Dark colors on VA panels are very slow (slow GtG can result in slower human reaction time too), as LCD GtG is sort of part of the "input lag chain", although humans will start to see the photons from LCD pixel transitions early in the curve, the longer the pixel response curve, the more latency to button-to-photons.

I recommend most photodiode lag testers stopwatch at either GtG10% or GtG50% for a more realistic mapping to human reaction time (versus GtG0% or GtG100%) -- different reviewers test differently.

Also, the human vision can react faster to brighter colors, so turning all those reds/blues into whites, can possibly brighten things up somewhat, like a crude method of a shadow boost feature or other image-enhancing setting built into a monitor.

Verdict: Plausible, based on science
Indeed chief, i would suggest people to try this, if they find it too dim and boring, then they should do the other method you suggested, keeping colour but raising blacks in contrast and/or raising whites of blues