Input Lag my Monitor

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
alex667

Input Lag my Monitor

Post by alex667 » 07 Jun 2014, 10:33

Guys..
I want to know what Input lag I have.

I am new here and very unknownledged.

Are the any reviews or is there a way to measure my input lag ?

My monitor is :

PHILIPS 227E LHA(small written)

edit : and does the input lag gets effected when I overclock my monitor ?
I overclocked it from 60 to 75 hertz.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Input Lag my Monitor

Post by RealNC » 07 Jun 2014, 12:00

I can't find any tests for this monitor.

Philips seems to indicate a 2ms gtg pixel response for this monitor. Oveclocking it will lower input lag. Though you need to know whether the monitor is frame skipping or not when overclocking it. You can test this here:

http://testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

Read the instructions on that page. You will need a camera to take a photo of the screen and then check whether there's any missing boxes in the photo. If there are, your monitor is frame skipping and overclocking it won't really do much for you.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 07 Jun 2014, 12:19

alex667 wrote:Guys..
I want to know what Input lag I have.
Are the any reviews or is there a way to measure my input lag ?
My monitor is :
PHILIPS 227E LHA(small written)
There are many input lag measure methods and to get accurate results you need or high priced hardware with knowledge base or just huge knowledge base with skills and many free time like creator of this resource "Chief Blur Buster". Many hardware review sites don't have such resources so their result can be non-accurate or just wrong. Therefore you can just google your model by adding "input lag" and you get lucky if found any input lag measurings of your model.
alex667 wrote:edit : and does the input lag gets effected when I overclock my monitor ?
I overclocked it from 60 to 75 hertz.
Imho there is little chance that input lag at 75Hz will be higher than at 60Hz.

alex667

Post by alex667 » 07 Jun 2014, 12:54

No frameskipping I guess..
I always have the feeling that the enemy is seeing me a bit earlier...
I've been playing cs source and csgo since 3 years now with this monitor and 80 ping

edit : Overclocked it to 76 hz the maximum what is possible...

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Jun 2014, 14:10

I also play CS:GO with a 60Hz monitor, overclocked to 77Hz. With vsync disabled, you should have no input lag problems with this monitor.

Although I'm not sure about the frame skipping. Only three boxes show in your picture. There should be more, and the orientation of your camera doesn't help.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jun 2014, 15:12

RealNC wrote:Although I'm not sure about the frame skipping. Only three boxes show in your picture. There should be more, and the orientation of your camera doesn't help.
Camera orientation does not matter. It can be rotated in any 360 degrees and still be valid.

However, a longer exposure is ideal - lower the monitor brightness to force a cheap camera to take a slower photo. That will cause more squares to show in photo, increasing the accuracy of the frame skipping test.

Frame skipping test looks good so far, though 77Hz vs 60Hz is a 17Hz harmonic, or once every approx four squares, so one photo of three squares is not statistically enough to safely confirm zero frameskipping.

Regarding lag -- Lag can go down the higher the framerate and higher the refreshrate, though it is more subtle for VSYNC OFF.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

alex667

Post by alex667 » 07 Jun 2014, 15:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
RealNC wrote:Although I'm not sure about the frame skipping. Only three boxes show in your picture. There should be more, and the orientation of your camera doesn't help.
Camera orientation does not matter. It can be rotated in any 360 degrees and still be valid.

However, a longer exposure is ideal - lower the monitor brightness to force a cheap camera to take a slower photo. That will cause more squares to show in photo, increasing the accuracy of the frame skipping test.

Frame skipping test looks good so far, though 77Hz vs 60Hz is a 17Hz harmonic, or once every approx four squares, so one photo of three squares is not statistically enough to safely confirm zero frameskipping.

Regarding lag -- Lag can go down the higher the framerate and higher the refreshrate, though it is more subtle for VSYNC OFF.
Thanks to the detailed answer.
The problem is ingame it feels so unsmooth. ( I never used or watched 120hz monitors but somehow I can notice that my game looks weird...) I capped fps to 128...

Btw I have 76 hz not 77 ( if it matters ^^ )

I lowered my brightness and you was right look :

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I am thinking of buying the BenQ XL2411Z for low input lag ; high refresh and no motion blur but I am waiting for the v2 firmware and a question to this :
Is my NVIDIA GTX 570 ( Gainward) compatible with the monitor ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Jun 2014, 15:43

alex667 wrote:am thinking of buying the BenQ XL2411Z for low input lag ; high refresh and no motion blur but I am waiting for the v2 firmware and a question to this :
Is my NVIDIA GTX 570 ( Gainward) compatible with the monitor ?
Yes. Any graphics cards will do, as long as it offers a DL-DVI port.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Jun 2014, 15:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
What I meant was there were not enough squares in the picture, since it was taken in portrait mode.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jun 2014, 15:45

You definitely pass. 77Hz with zero frame skipping.

Yes, the GTX 570 is compatible with the BENQ XL2411Z monitor or any of the other 120Hz+ monitors.

You will want to adjust detail levels or reduce/disable AA to get the high framerates needed for impressive motion on these monitors. But you'll probably eventually later upgrade your GPU anyway.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!