Tobii Eye Tracker 5 interference

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
InBetweenNames

Tobii Eye Tracker 5 interference

Post by InBetweenNames » 20 Jan 2022, 10:16

I realize this is anecdotal, but it seems just having my Tobii Eye Tracker 5 plugged in *at all* produces more variance on my mousetester graphs, which gets worse as I increase the polling rate on my mouse (Razer Viper 8khz). In fact, my system *can* poll 8khz without issues unless the Tobii is plugged in, in which case it polls around 5-6khz. At this point I am certain it is the Tobii, because I have removed all plugged in devices except my mouse and the Tobii and I'm reproducing the same behaviour.

I have tried:

* Using a separate dedicated USB controller attached via PCI-e
* Mouse on PCI-e USB/Tobii on main
* Mouse on main/Tobii on PCI-e (improved at 2khz and below, but 4khz and higher is still quite noticeable)
* Safe mode to run bare minimum drivers

I had my wife do an experiment with me where I'd move the mouse around in circles and she'd plug in the Tobii (and subsequently unplug it), and sure enough you can see exactly in the graph when it is connected and disconnected from the system. The region in between is quite noisy, and it cleans right up after it is disconnected. I haven't had this problem with any other USB devices on my system, which I've tested individually since noticing this.

Has anyone else observed this kind of behaviour with the Tobii? It's really strange. Not a huge problem since I can just disconnect it when I'm not playing sim-style games, but still weird.

I filed this under "input lag" but there's not necessarily input lag here, just inconsistency. Apologies if there was a better place I could have posted this.

EDIT: Oh, and I even plugged the Tobii into the USB-C on the back of my video card, but same behaviour. Seems having it plugged in *at all* produces this behaviour.

FPSMaster

Re: Tobii Eye Tracker 5 interference

Post by FPSMaster » 22 Jan 2022, 12:47

Don't rely on mouse tester, it's a pure meme.

InBetweenNames

Post by InBetweenNames » 23 Jan 2022, 10:37

So I'm inclined to agree with you, but I'm going to need a little more than that to be convinced unfortunately. We're talking a substantial difference in the graphs generated, meaning *something* is clearly changing when the Tobii is plugged in. What could explain this behaviour?

Slender

Post by Slender » 23 Jan 2022, 18:50

InBetweenNames wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 10:37
So I'm inclined to agree with you, but I'm going to need a little more than that to be convinced unfortunately. We're talking a substantial difference in the graphs generated, meaning *something* is clearly changing when the Tobii is plugged in. What could explain this behaviour?
it's simple, when you connect ANY device to your usb controller, your mouse starts to work worse.
buy any pci-e usb 2.0 controller, plug in a mouse and forget about it.
You may be told here that usb 2.0 pci doesn't have msi-mode, but don't listen to them, it doesn't matter.

InBetweenNames

Post by InBetweenNames » 23 Jan 2022, 19:23

Slender wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 18:50
it's simple, when you connect ANY device to your usb controller, your mouse starts to work worse.
You may be told here that usb 2.0 pci doesn't have msi-mode, but don't listen to them, it doesn't matter.
Yeah I mentioned that I had already done this in my original post. Yes, I tried all possible configurations involving it.

Slender

Post by Slender » 23 Jan 2022, 19:27

InBetweenNames wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 19:23
Slender wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 18:50
Yeah I mentioned that I had already done this in my original post. Yes, I tried all possible configurations involving it.
send pic. ur graph in mousetester 1.5.3 (freq) after and before connect "bad" device