NVIDIA Desktop Resize Input Lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
instantfun

NVIDIA Desktop Resize Input Lag?

Post by instantfun » 21 Jan 2022, 22:43

Hey everyone,

I have a LG 27GL850-B (27inch, 1440p, 144hz) monitor.

However, I am very used to playing competitive games like League of Legends, Valorant, and CSGO etc. on 24inch screens.

The 27inch feels uncomfortbly big for these titles, so my solution was to open up NVIDIA Control Panel and resize my desktop using these steps: https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control- ... or%20HDTV.

My new desktop size adds black bars on the top and bottom which is fine, and makes my screen operate at a resolution of 2252x1266 (which makes the playable area somewhere between 23 and 24inches diagonally which is perfect.

Here are my actual settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel:
Resized Desktop.PNG
Resized Desktop.PNG (48.65 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
Resized Resolution.PNG
Resized Resolution.PNG (51.52 KiB) Viewed 3193 times

My only concern is I can't really tell if this is adding input lag or if it's just in my head. Theoretically forcing the GPU to process this desktop resizing constantly must be adding some sort of added input lag into the equation right? Or am I wrong? If anyone has tested this and knows that would be very helpful.

Otherwise, is there a quick and easy way I can test input lag myself to get to the bottom of this? Without buying any testing device?

Thanks for your time.

instantfun

Re: NVIDIA Desktop Resize Input Lag?

Post by instantfun » 22 Jan 2022, 13:27

I should note, I know that creating a custom resolution will definitely create input lag, as I can feel it immediately and others around this forum have reported the same. But this (Desktop resizing) seems to be different than creating a custom resolution.

There is also the option of playing these competitive titles in windowed mode but this comes with it own input lag poroblems as well.

Just looking for the best way to use this bigger screen, if there's no solution I might have to buy back a 24inch,