Why you will NEVER Fix "Desync/Lag" in CSGO.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
espresso

Why you will NEVER Fix "Desync/Lag" in CSGO.

Post by espresso » 11 Feb 2022, 14:09

and the Reason is Lag Compensation.

I tried it all, everything. Optimizing since years and it doesn't change anything.
HIGH end OCed System, FTTH 12ms Ping everywhere.

If you have a very low ping, Lag Compensation will just buffer your packets and thus create artificial lag for you.
The faster your system and ping and the higher your opponents ping the bigger the buffer of your packets.

For the older people who remember in 1.6 everything above 70ms was competitively unplayable. You would loose every peek and every fight. Yet in CSGO on Faceit Russians with 110ms out peeking you with 12ms. To simulate a coherent gameplay for players with 110ms you have to delay 12ms players. It is simple physics.

You can test this very easy. Open server browser, find a DM server where you have a 40-50ms Ping
You will be amazed to run&gun and giving double HS with m4a1s.

On 128Tick server, you get updated every 8ms. But your opponent has 100ms. For example on "tick 1" you shoot at enemy, the packets of that reach the server after 12ms, packtes get send to opponent at tick 3, but now the server has to buffer your packets for at least 12 Ticks(96ms) so while your Crosshair is dead on, you feel that your bullets go nowhere.

Its a classic Valve, they don't care about competition, they care about the Billions they make from skins, and to make more billions is to get more customers and you get more by making it easier to play even when you are at a huge disadvantage because of 100ms Ping. They don't care adding 50ms delay to 12ms players "No human can notice, like you cant see difference between 60 and 100fps". But you can feel it.
In 1.6 i was a god, placed ESL ladder 3 times in a row top 5 out of 20.000, i fucking dominated EU 2v2 AWP ladder, quick scoping longdistance easy. I don't even buy AWP in CSGO because 90% of shots are disappearing into the nirvana.

As soon as you join server and see a player with 60+ms, you know you will have a shit game.

If you want some kind of "fix" get a higher latency line.

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: Why you will NEVER Fix "Desync/Lag" in CSGO.

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 12 Feb 2022, 22:03

I'm sorry but your logic is flawed in so many ways.

Let me explain: your whole narrative falls on 1 false foundation, which is assuming the game is a 1v1 and the lag compensation is calculated on this regard, you failed to acknowledge ping fluctuations, UDP packet stream consistency, internet congestion, other variable latencies in the server "Other players with different latencies, ping fluctuations, etc etc". So the server will have to readjust its so called buffers everytime a bullet leaves any of the players' weapons, and that is just not how buffers work my man Sorry :)!

I'm telling you this because of 1 thing that I always used to do in Mirage if I had an awp as a terrorist, I'll push up towards mid and crouch shoulder peek window and 9/10 times I would kill their awper if he had anything higher than 45-50ping. Any awper having a ping lower than that i'd die to him, and I wouldn't even bother. It was faceit lvl10 servers, and my ping was always around 50-55ms.
It also was a very good way of telling if a player has wallhack or aim trigger, and dear lord how many times have I called out a dumbass with 70 ping sitting in that window a hacker, watch back the replay and indeed he was not legit. A legit 70 pinger would have never made this shot 1st of all, and 2nd of all wouldn't even hold on a common angle like that on this level of playing with high ping.

So do you get what i'm saying? There is desync and there is lag, but you're digging the wrong hole, not the right one.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

espresso

Post by espresso » 13 Feb 2022, 04:34

I may have formulated it a little unlucky, but if you have good Internet and your PC is in good shape, but you still feel the "Desync", there is pretty much only Lag Compensation left.
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 22:03
you failed to acknowledge ping fluctuations, UDP packet stream consistency, internet congestion,
This would effect EVERY Player, but what you see consistent is Players with good rigs and fast Internet Complain about desync. If this would be caused by the above, this problem would be even more prominent in people with bad internet.
My Netgraph tells me about my connection to the server and it has 0% Choke/Loss very stable Ping.
Even if they would park my packets in Limbo for 5ms for their congestion algorithm, my connection would still be better than 99% of every player i meet on the server.

Example exagerated:

You can slide the "Coherent Gameplay Slider" across the Range but you cant make it encompass the whole range from 0-100, that would be a perpetuum mobile, because you cant "Speed up Internet".
But what they can do, as i said before, is buffer your packets for 30-40ms thus evening the battlefield.
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 22:03
There is desync and there is lag, but you're digging the wrong hole, not the right one.
“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
What everyone who plays CSGO and complains about desync Issue have in common, is they play on Lag Compensated servers.

It is simple Physics, and you need to ask only 1 simple Question. Where did the 100ms Lag go that made 1.6 unplayable?!

skkiNN

Post by skkiNN » 13 Feb 2022, 08:54

blackmagic wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 07:24
dude you seem look like one who has much knowledge about latency and lag and compensation...

i am searching for an explaination here about a weird online behavior here.

look its simple.
i have a notebook and a desktop pc here.
both are connected to same router/network per lan. connection is lte.
with both i join a server and both show a ping of 40-50ms if trust the ingame stats.

but here comes the magic...
if i drop/limit fps on my notebook to 30fps while ingame/in-match and then go back to my other account on desktop pc and just keep play...bad hitreg, bad desync feel and anything bad just disappears and like fixes itself on my desktop pc.

what could that be ?
you have an idea or can tell me how that magic possible ?

because im here very very sure that this is not just a placebo or something else like that. i tried to replicate that way and it not worked always but most of the time it worked and when it worked and gets triggered...i start feel same improvements again and could tell fast when it happened and i just feel this changes here very quick.

maybe that just a game bug that i find ? or maybe the server somehow thinks that i play with 30fps but in reality i play with my main account dekstop pc and with normal fps...
because both are on same server/room/match also my notebook and desktop pc.

damn that sounds stupid but i have no fucking idea how to explain this bullshit that i saw here.

i rly want find someone who could see the same shit with this method and trick. so i dont feel lonely and crazy with that all.
because that just changes everything for me here and my online gaming problems.
I just found a notebook of my gf, this evening i will try and let you know asap man. Hope that notebook is good enough for install cs and launch it. :D

triplese

Post by triplese » 13 Feb 2022, 20:01

espresso wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 14:09

As soon as you join server and see a player with 60+ms, you know you will have a shit game.
Not too fast, cowboy. I'm having FTTH, 54ms to Germany Faceit servers. On faceit russians lvl3 with 100ms ping peeking as m0nesy in G2.
When I go play MM at Stockholm (my ping is ~30ms) 5ms finnish guys literally sitting on server (physically). They peeking so fast, I cant click with awp in zoom, or click and die, because his HS is faster processed by server (5ms to send and 5 to get kill confirmation from server).
BTW, 200ms reaction, 240hz monitor, 600+fps, SMFC in MM.
So I constantly punished from Valve twice, lol. Faceit need to implement balancing players by ping too, because on 10lvl this is a game about who click faster and have lower ping.
If you have low and stable ping - just set cl_interp 0, cl_interp_ratio 1 and you will hold angles better against 100ms pingers.

espresso

Post by espresso » 14 Feb 2022, 04:35

triplese wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 20:01
because his HS is faster processed by server (5ms to send and 5 to get kill confirmation from server).
No, what you describe would be the old 1.6 Engine.
In 1.6 we had server FPS which you could boost Via Tickrate. A stable 1.6 Server was running @ 1000FPS. meaning every 1ms/1calculation of gamestate. Even though 1.6 was only 101 Updaterate the packets where NEVER older than 1ms+pingtime.
That is why Ping was so important in 1.6.

But with CSGO Lag Compensation, Your packets will have to wait and see if at Tick X Enemy Y was at Position Z.
Because if they don't do this every time the lowping Player wins.

Example: It is Tick 100, Server sends Packets to Player A(100ms)and Player B (10ms). At 128 Tick= ca. every 8ms 1 Tick.
So when player B's packtes come back to the server it is Tick 103.(24ms)
But when Player A packets come back to the server it is Tick 113 (104ms)

Valve dosent show exactly how they do it, but i guess they average out the Ping and then delay the gamestate by the average, meaning by the example above your 10ms is in reality 50ms.

By this method the delay of the 100ms Player to the 10ms Player is reduced on the server to 50ms

sem1h

Post by sem1h » 14 Feb 2022, 08:15

Most of my problems are disappeared after i disabled SMT in BIOS and typing snd_mixahead 0.5 on my autoexec

kriegsnake

Post by kriegsnake » 14 Feb 2022, 11:41

sem1h wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 08:15
Most of my problems are disappeared after i disabled SMT in BIOS and typing snd_mixahead 0.5 on my autoexec
It is not an option here. When I disable hyperthreading csgo drops from 400 fps to 150 , and is' not necessary to change this command in autoexec, once you changed that in game, it never reverse back, for sure if you won't uninstall the game. There've been lots of advices to change that to 0.010 and etc, nothing helps, it is just the sound render, has nothing to do with ping diff.

triplese

Post by triplese » 14 Feb 2022, 18:33

espresso wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 04:35
No, what you describe would be the old 1.6 Engine.
Cmon, if player A have 10 ping, and player B have 100 ping even with lagcompensation players B input will be processed few ticks later, than players A.
You can test it yourself. Create arena map with your friend, he will have bigger ping than you, because you is server. Then count together in discord and click from AWP together and see who will die first.

espresso

Post by espresso » 15 Feb 2022, 04:59

blackmagic wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 02:09
so what i understand...
lag comp is only makes things worse in online games and makes desync, bad hitreg, unfairness more possible between pings and players ? is that logic right ?

because without lag comp i could still have a chance to hit and make damage and it would be more fair for both opponents (no matter what ping) if there was no lag comp...

but with lag comp there many moments where "no hitreg" even then when clearly hit players model...or is lag comp just broken in such moments ?

lag comp lies to us and makes only things more unfair for both sides.
some are lucky and some just unlucky...lottery at it finest.

somehow like this.
right logic ?
Lag Comp dosent make it unfair for both sides, it just makes it unfair for the lowping guys. Because the highping players greatly benefit from Lag Compensation while the lowping players get buffered.

As i said before, in 1.6 the servers where doing gamestate snapshots every 1ms.If you have 10ms Ping, the packets that arrive are never older than 11ms. So in CS 1.6 you where always ONLY 11ms behind what the servers "reality" was.

You see the server tickrate runs continuously tick 1, tick 2 tick 3 etc.
10ms players Receives and sends back packets 10 times faster than 100ms players, but at the server they have to be compensated for the lag of 100ms players.

Here is a good analogy Image
Neo is the Server and the Bullets are your client Packtes of 10ms Player. The server stops the Packets and then waits for what highpingplayers did 50ms ago. But with CSGOs Lag compensation it will "rewind" time. And you can actually feel this "Force field", back in the days we called it UDP-Kevlar/TCP-Helmet. And that is imho what most these people who come here complain about without knowing. I as well have thought so for many years, applied every tweak in existence to solve my issue without success.