Csgo sensitivity

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
holiday

Csgo sensitivity

Post by holiday » 25 Feb 2022, 01:49

Hi guys,

i played arround with some launch options in csgo. Because i always felt the sensitivity is wrong in this game.
Can someone tell me why the sensitivity becomes faster (no acceleration) when i use this:

Launch options: -useforcedmparms

Ingame: m_mousespeed 0

Technically with this you activate the use m_mousespeed. With m_mousespeed 1 you will have windows acceleration. With m_mousespeed 0 you dont have the acceleration but your mouse becomes much more precise on small movements and i wonder why.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Csgo sensitivity

Post by RealNC » 25 Feb 2022, 10:37

holiday wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 01:49
Moved to correct forum section.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

xShino

Post by xShino » 26 Feb 2022, 11:36

I did a quick test with "-useforcedmparms"..

In the menu it seems like it uses acceleration, it was easy to spot when moving the mouse slowly for me. Ingame (Offline match) it didn't seem to change anything though.

My settings:
m_mouspeed 0
m_rawinput 1
No windows acceleration

Not sure if that's the expected outcome. But it's known that the CSGO menu uses the Windows mouse settings, so it doesn't surprise me that some changes are seen. I would have thought to have zero acceleration though, since Enhance Pointer Precision is Off for me.

TL;DR: It didn't change anything ingame with a quick test for me.

timecard

Post by timecard » 26 Feb 2022, 14:24

Hope this helps but you are definitely experiencing "changes" which will mess up your perception. There is accel on and off inconsistently through your interactions with CSGO in some situations.

Test 1:
  • Enhanced Pointer Precision: Off (Windows) e.g. MouseThreshold1, MouseThreshold2, MouseSpeed ALL zero (0)
  • Launch option: -useforcedmparms NOT defined
  • Outcome:
    • MouseThreshold1: 0
    • MouseThreshold2: 0
    • MouseSpeed: 0
    • Gameplay = 0, is disabled, doesn't get enabled (modified*) in Panorama or ingame.
Test 2:
  • Enhanced Pointer Precision: Off (Windows) e.g. MouseThreshold1, MouseThreshold2, MouseSpeed ALL zero (0)
  • Launch option: -useforcedmparms defined, m_mousespeed 0
  • Outcome:
    • MouseThreshold1 = 0, not modified
    • MouseThreshold2 = 0, not modified
    • MouseSpeed = 1 (enabled) when in CSGO menus (Panorama?*) but NOT while csgo dev console is open
    • Gameplay = 0, is disabled while playing even on buy menus (likely not tied to Panorama)
GOTCHA! Once you enter a first game and go back to the menu Panorama no longer activates Enhanced Pointer Precision with m_mousespeed 0

Test 3:
  • Launch option: -useforcedmparms defined, m_mousespeed 1
  • Outcome:
    • MouseThreshold1 = 0, not modified
    • MouseThreshold2 = 0, not modified
    • MouseSpeed = 1 enabled when in CSGO menus (Panorama?*) but NOT while csgo dev console is open
    • Gameplay = 1, enabled in the background (as fyi, m_rawinput 1)
Other Notes
  • m_mouseaccel1 AND m_mouseaccel2 values didn't affect Panorama's MouseThreshold1, MouseThreshold2 values during the tests.

timecard

Post by timecard » 26 Feb 2022, 16:42

m_rawinput 1

holiday

Post by holiday » 27 Feb 2022, 13:57

yes the thing is that the overall cm/360 stays the same but slow mouse movements become ingame noticeable faster, like its easier to move your mouse around.

I dont know why this happens but this cant be a placebo because the difference is so big. But i dont have the knowledge to prove that.

holiday

Post by holiday » 27 Feb 2022, 14:01

sry for double post.

But an easy test for this is:

launch options: -useforcedmparms -noforcemspd

this means you will use m_mousespeed command with useforcedmparms and you will use the windows mouse speed setting cause noforcemspd.

Now you can test ingame with m_mousespeed 1 and 0 and see how drastically the mouse behaviour changes when m_mousespeed 0 is set.

timecard

Post by timecard » 27 Feb 2022, 14:38

I agree it feels different and submitted a similar issue on github for CS 1.6 (HL1) a while ago. As a player you probably won't notice these things immediately unless you try variations of different settings. My theory aligns with a similar response from SamVanheer a HL1 modder, its not really about the data being different (rotation is the same) but the change in processing affecting the delay. e.g. Windows is still working on the mouse processing/handling (modified threshold/mousespeed/EPP) behind the scenes and the game is also capturing m_rawinput through another function.

The Issue I submitted to Valve.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife/issues/2087

SamVanheer commented on Jan 16, 2019
The engine handles the raw input cvar, but the game is responsible for those command line parameters. Even if raw input is turned on it will still apply those settings, which affect how the OS processes mouse input before the engine handles it.

As for the differences in behavior with different combinations, i can't say. It should be consistent but if it isn't then something i can't find might be affecting it.

holiday

Post by holiday » 27 Feb 2022, 15:31

the whole reason i start this was because i always felt the sensitivity in csgo is wrong. I recently switched back to the game and noticed it instantly. The mouse input feels so heavy i dont know how to describe this better.

I always thought m_mousespeed 1 cause this affect.

So i start experimenting with different things. On the markc blog i read that m_mousespeed is only used when useforcedmparms is set.(I think Csgo still use it in someway even useforcedmparms is not set)

So i tried -useforcedmparms and m_mousespeed 0 and immediately noticed the difference. Now i wonder like you wrote if the other mparms also affect the mouse input.

My goal is just an normal mouseinput like my other games ;) Cause with useforcedmparms and m_mousespeed 0 it feels much better than before but still not perfect.

edit: You are right -noforcemparms -noforcemspd -noforcemaccel change the sensitivity. The should not work in csgo but they do. Csgo is very strange

Ripan

Post by Ripan » 10 May 2022, 16:08

I think it makes a difference. Why would pro enable it and not use launch-option otherwise?

I tried mousespeed with and without noforce and couldn’t for the world understand why they use it. Then i got an idea, to disable markc mouse fix. After that i really liked mousespeed 1.

Its really wierd. It shouldn’t change anything