Audio playback device causing input lag/unsmooth gameplay

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
L1ghtning

Audio playback device causing input lag/unsmooth gameplay

Post by L1ghtning » 02 Apr 2022, 20:48

When I have my playback device set to my monitor my games feels perfect, no input lag, very smooth, but when it is switched to my sound that I usually use(goxlr connected to 2nd pc, audio out from gaming pc to goxlr) it adds noticeable input lag and the game becomes less smooth. It's still definitely playable, but feeling the difference makes me want the feeling that the monitor playback device gives me. My question is what could be causing this? My cables are quite messy could it be some sort of interference issue?

Slender

Re: Audio playback device causing input lag/unsmooth gameplay

Post by Slender » 03 Apr 2022, 22:12

same, check my topic

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 05 Apr 2022, 04:41

L1ghtning wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 20:48
When I have my playback device set to my monitor my games feels perfect, no input lag, very smooth, but when it is switched to my sound that I usually use(goxlr connected to 2nd pc, audio out from gaming pc to goxlr) it adds noticeable input lag and the game becomes less smooth. It's still definitely playable, but feeling the difference makes me want the feeling that the monitor playback device gives me. My question is what could be causing this? My cables are quite messy could it be some sort of interference issue?
GoXLR is an audio interface which might be recognized by windows as "Pro Audio" depending on how the driver classifies itself, but most audio companies usually go that way. As good as that might sound for your audio quality, it might be not the best when it comes to gaming. If you check MMCS in regedit, Pro Audio will always have priority 1 over everything else. You can try setting the priority and other parameters to match the one for the normal "Audio" and see if it helps. You can also open the GoXLR control panel and slightly increase the buffer size, after that go into your windows sound settings - playback devices and set the sample rate quality for GoXLR lower "you'll only see 48k" but there are different versions, you might need to set the same for every driver it has installed "I.E. Game, Chat, System, etc.." Try to lower it to something like DVD quality and check if that helps.

P.S. try the option with MMCS first and then go from there. Good luck :)

Add-on: Please do not forget to save that MMCS regedit folder in order to revert the changes if they did not add any benefit.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

timecard

Post by timecard » 05 Apr 2022, 22:46

Typically applications request MMCSS not devices/drivers. This should help.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/resea ... s.1774590/

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 06 Apr 2022, 04:00

timecard wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 22:46
Typically applications request MMCSS not devices/drivers. This should help.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/resea ... s.1774590/
That's a really nice research you had there, your github link is down btw. As for GoXLR, it needs its own app to be running in the background for the AI to run.

As for your research, when CSGO was classified as Audio, and Audio by default "at least in Win 11" runs as a background only process, how would the thread be effected if Audio parameters are adjusted? higher or lower priority. And would the game benefit if the MMCSS was left on default but the system was focused on Background Services instead of Programs?
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

L1ghtning

Post by L1ghtning » 06 Apr 2022, 22:15

I appreciate the help, I seem to have fixed my issue and then some, my game feels extremely smooth and snappy now.

This is what I did after testing a bunch of stuff in MMCSS:
I added NoLazyMode (not exactly sure what that did but it seemed to help)
I changed Gpu Priority and Priority to 8 and 6 on both Audio and Pro Audio
I changed Scheduling Category and SFIO Priority both to High on Audio but left it on default(Medium and Normal on Pro Audio), during my testing there was a noticeable difference in the feeling of the game for some reason when I had Pro Audio on High for both parameters.
The biggest difference I felt was when I was messing around with Playback, I changed Scheduling Category and SFIO Priority both to High, I changed Gpu Priority and Priority to match the Games folder and I increased the Background Priority. Idk why, but changing the background priority made a massive difference.
I also changed some things in DisplayPostProcessing that seemed to help too.

I tested this stuff for hours, I don't quite fully understand all of it with my limited time reading about it and I don't know why these particular settings worked, but my game feels fantastic now

Edit: On a second test having Audio and Pro Audio the same Scheduling Category and SFIO Priority feels the same/maybe a little better

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 10 Apr 2022, 03:57

L1ghtning wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 22:15
I appreciate the help, I seem to have fixed my issue and then some, my game feels extremely smooth and snappy now.

This is what I did after testing a bunch of stuff in MMCSS:
I added NoLazyMode (not exactly sure what that did but it seemed to help)
I changed Gpu Priority and Priority to 8 and 6 on both Audio and Pro Audio
I changed Scheduling Category and SFIO Priority both to High on Audio but left it on default(Medium and Normal on Pro Audio), during my testing there was a noticeable difference in the feeling of the game for some reason when I had Pro Audio on High for both parameters.
The biggest difference I felt was when I was messing around with Playback, I changed Scheduling Category and SFIO Priority both to High, I changed Gpu Priority and Priority to match the Games folder and I increased the Background Priority. Idk why, but changing the background priority made a massive difference.
I also changed some things in DisplayPostProcessing that seemed to help too.

I tested this stuff for hours, I don't quite fully understand all of it with my limited time reading about it and I don't know why these particular settings worked, but my game feels fantastic now

Edit: On a second test having Audio and Pro Audio the same Scheduling Category and SFIO Priority feels the same/maybe a little better
I mean if it works it works ;) ..