Pretty sure fixed my lag for real with intel

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
3xil3

Pretty sure fixed my lag for real with intel

Post by 3xil3 » 04 May 2022, 18:48

This for intel IDK AMD has same voltage setting

If you ever follow overclocking guides for intel they tell you to set very high voltage limits for both short and long term to remove CPU power limits.

https://i.imgur.com/zBfXGoI.jpg

What found setting too much long term power is what causing floaty mouse and high input lag What i did was set long term limit to stock 125watt and mouse no longer feeling like shit. When lagged and felt floaty CPU was being feed too much voltage all time.

What you need to do go into BIOS and set intel 125 limit for long term voltage limitnot leave this on auto. Then short term to what ever require for clocks. Even if you dont OC manually set to 125

https://i.imgur.com/FR32NeR.jpeg

Now my mouse is fine even with my RAM OC. Also make sure multicore enhance is enabled

So yea

multicore enhance is enabled
long duration package power limit 125watt

3xil3

Re: Pretty sure fixed my lag for real with intel

Post by 3xil3 » 04 May 2022, 21:56

So these z490 and prob newer hardware seem to be very sensitive when comes to RAM clocks/CPU VCCIO and SA voltages you have to fine tune just right. Or mouse just feels off.

Im litteraly setting and rebooting checking my mouse feeling .

System agent has to stay 1.05 any higher get mouse lag DO NOT SET AUTO runs at like 1.4v VCCIO when XMP enabled i have bump from 0.950 to 1.1000 again DO NOT SET AUTO this same with z590/z690

Right now my mouse feels much better its not %100 but at least not feeling floaty feel like have full control

Slender

Post by Slender » 04 May 2022, 22:20

if u done with that can u send bios setting in .txt?

BigBoi

Post by BigBoi » 05 May 2022, 12:26

People need to stop with the "OMG GUYZ ITZ FIXED BUT NOT 100% XD" bullcrap. It's either it's fixed or not, if it's not 100% then that probably means placebo and after a few days you'll realize that wasn't it and it's back to finding another solution.

redf0x

Post by redf0x » 05 May 2022, 12:40

3xil3 wrote:
04 May 2022, 21:56
So these z490 and prob newer hardware seem to be very sensitive when comes to RAM clocks/CPU VCCIO and SA voltages you have to fine tune just right. Or mouse just feels off.

Im litteraly setting and rebooting checking my mouse feeling .

System agent has to stay 1.05 any higher get mouse lag DO NOT SET AUTO runs at like 1.4v VCCIO when XMP enabled i have bump from 0.950 to 1.1000 again DO NOT SET AUTO this same with z590/z690

Right now my mouse feels much better its not %100 but at least not feeling floaty feel like have full control

What v did you set your core and system agent? I currently have z690 hero and setting system agent to 1.05 crashes my system.

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 05 May 2022, 13:59

BigBoi wrote:
05 May 2022, 12:26
People need to stop with the "OMG GUYZ ITZ FIXED BUT NOT 100% XD" bullcrap. It's either it's fixed or not, if it's not 100% then that probably means placebo and after a few days you'll realize that wasn't it and it's back to finding another solution.
i do not belive it too… if new PC is not able work properly with default bios settings then lowering any voltage will be not long term fix thats allready proved…. There is a lot of threads about this…

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 05 May 2022, 16:53

3xil3 wrote:
04 May 2022, 18:48
This for intel IDK AMD has same voltage setting

If you ever follow overclocking guides for intel they tell you to set very high voltage limits for both short and long term to remove CPU power limits.

https://i.imgur.com/zBfXGoI.jpg

What found setting too much long term power is what causing floaty mouse and high input lag What i did was set long term limit to stock 125watt and mouse no longer feeling like shit. When lagged and felt floaty CPU was being feed too much voltage all time.

What you need to do go into BIOS and set intel 125 limit for long term voltage limitnot leave this on auto. Then short term to what ever require for clocks. Even if you dont OC manually set to 125

https://i.imgur.com/FR32NeR.jpeg

Now my mouse is fine even with my RAM OC. Also make sure multicore enhance is enabled

So yea

multicore enhance is enabled
long duration package power limit 125watt
advising everyone to set long duration power limit to 125w is not the best idea and is counter intuitive! Since this value is CPU specific, It's not a definite CPU power consumption figure. Example, my 9900KS is rated at 127W Long and 210W Short. the 9900K "same cpu, lower bin" is rated at 95W Long and 180W Short. You see why it's not a good idea to advice people on something like that? If anything was wrong with the voltages and the cpu ended up sucking more power than it ever needs, then a 95w Short power limit CPU will be able to intake up to 125, which yields nothing but excessive heat and unnecessary power consumption, which in return speeds up the CPU degradation for no benefit "higher performance", assuming the user did not know what he was doing and had everything on default.

Same note, Multicore enhancement on Asus will disable most power limitations that intel has added in their spec sheets. People usually enable MCE to help achieve higher clocks "overclocking". By default, if you set MCE to disabled, then your board will have to adhere to intel's spec sheet. Which in return will force your CPU on a power limit, and will lower the frequency if needed to maintain that threshold.

Moreover, what you're saying is contradictory in a way, since you first start by saying the flaoty feel and input lag was due to the CPU being fed too much voltage "Current* btw, voltage is the potential difference. Current is the power your cpu needs to do its job". And after that, you advice us to increase the short power duration. If you allow the cpu to take in more power regularly, then it'll need higher voltage to do so, isn't that against what you said before?

If maybe I misunderstood and what you wanted to say is that there is something buggy with Power Limit 2 "short", and we might as well set it low and fiddle with Power Limit 1 "long" instead?
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 05 May 2022, 17:50

3xii3,

I want you to try something out, it needs a bit of trial and error but its not hard.. When you change VCSSA or VCCIO to an equivalent of +-150-200mv your motherboard resets and turns off, then it turns on again, so it doesn't do a fast restart since it needs to retrain the memory with the new values. What you might've experienced is a RAM training problem that even my ASUS Z390 has, and that restart in specific got you a good training. but will go away when the system power recycles and the memory is trained again. So what we will try to do now, is to see what is the best marginal values that you can have, and possibly lock them in so it doesn't do a different training everytime.

1- Set both your VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.3V as a starting point "this value is a safe value for everyday use".

2- Find the DMI Voltage in your "tweaker's paradise" probably, and set it to 1.25V "also safe and helps with ram stability".

3- Go to your DRAM timing control and scroll down until you see MRC FAST BOOT, disable it for now "this will make the motherboard train your ram on every restart".

4- Go Back up to DRAM Training Algorithms, Disable "SenseAMP offset training", enable "Round Trip Latency", Disable "Turn Around Timing Training". Now Reboot.

5- Go back into Bios - DRAM Timing Control - DRAM RTL IOL "Not sure of the name, it should be above or below DRAM training algorithms". Go all the way down to "CHA IO_Latency_Offset & CHB IO_Latency_Offset", they might be set to 21 by default "Asus standard". Start increasing each one by +1. and reboot. You can probably start at 24 and go up to 25 or 26 afterwards.

6- Go back to that window and keep a track on the following values as you do the reboots after increasing the above mentioned values:

DRAM RTL CHA DIM1 Rank0 - Value
DRAM RTL CHB DIM1 Rank0 - Value
DRAM IOL CHA DIM1 Rank0 - Value
DRAM IOL CHB DIM1 Rank0 - Value

The values will keep going down as you increase the latency offset, until your system stops posting then you know you hit the threshold. If your system does not post after rebooting it means its failing to train the ram, hold your power button for 6 seconds to shut it down, and then press it again to start it up. It will boot with default RAM settings, its okay, you can go back and set the Latency Offset Values to the last bootable state, I'm assuming it will be either 25 or 26. 25 was the max for me!

P.S you can also set different Offsets for CHA and CHB. For example CHA =25 & CHB=26 and vise versa. Try to see which one will get the numbers close to each other the most!

Don't be confused of the values, they will be easy to spot because they are different from the rest "the rest have default values since I'm assuming you have only 2 ram sticks and the 2 other ram slots are empty".

For a reference, a good training for my ram would be as follows: "This is what i've been using for 3 months now"

DRAM RTL CHA DIM1 Rank0 - 59
DRAM RTL CHB DIM1 Rank0 - 58
DRAM IOL CHA DIM1 Rank0 - 2
DRAM IOL CHB DIM1 Rank0 - 1

The numbers in general are said to be best if they are equal or within +-1 apart from each other.

A bad training that my motherboard did on numerous occasions was as follows: "one of the bad trainings that I spotted"

DRAM RTL CHA DIM1 Rank0 - 69
DRAM RTL CHB DIM1 Rank0 - 61
DRAM IOL CHA DIM1 Rank0 - 14
DRAM IOL CHB DIM1 Rank0 - 6

And that alone was causing me a lot of stutters and performance issues in general.

8- After you find the maximum that you can get the Latency offset values to go up to, save your values into your phone, do not lock them in yet, continue to windows and do your normal things, gaming or whatever. See how it goes, if everything is good and dandy, Then reboot your pc, go back to your bios, check the values if they changed after the restart. If they did, then change them back to whatever you saved on your phone by locking them in the box saying "Auto" in front of them. Now go back and Enable "MRC Fast Boot" to stop your motherboard from changing that value again by training on different ones. That's it!

If you experience any problems, you can always go back and lower the Latency Offset values as to be a bit on the safer side. Remember to Disable "MRC Fast Boot" so the motherboard can retrain the ram on the new values. You can lock the values in and still force your motherboard to train on every boot, but in general, if your reboot straight after a heavy gaming session, a hot ram might be hard to train on those values! Thats why its better to just Enable MRC Fast Boot when you're done with tuning!

This is a slight shot in the dark, but in general, I've experienced the same issue before. And what triggered my memory to remember is the fact that you altered your VCCIO from 1.4 back to 1.1. I hope it helps regardless!

Let me know if you need anything else, cheers!
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 06 May 2022, 23:07

VCCSA/IO cannot be too high, or too low. but then they are also scaled a bit based on your cpu volts. So if you do cpu first then ram, bad time. If you do ram, then cpu also bad time. You gotta lock in your cpu at something easy like 43x, and lock in the target core volt you plan on using, finish rams, wrap up cpu overclock and minor volt adjustments then.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 07 May 2022, 03:57

DPRTMELR wrote:
06 May 2022, 23:07
VCCSA/IO cannot be too high, or too low. but then they are also scaled a bit based on your cpu volts. So if you do cpu first then ram, bad time. If you do ram, then cpu also bad time. You gotta lock in your cpu at something easy like 43x, and lock in the target core volt you plan on using, finish rams, wrap up cpu overclock and minor volt adjustments then.
I'm sorry but that is not true! Those Voltages scale mostly based on your RAM Frequency, not CPU voltage! Those are separate voltage rails, adjusting any of them separately will not effect the voltage of the others.