5950X Ram Timings Effect mouse responsiveness massively??

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ZetaAlo

5950X Ram Timings Effect mouse responsiveness massively??

Post by ZetaAlo » 07 May 2022, 02:54

I got a new kit of 4000 CL14-15 1.55V Ram and I've been messing around with it. I've repeated testing multiple times to make sure I'm not just imagining things, but when i mess with the TRFC and TFAW and TRC the lower the timings the more responsive and snappy the mouse, like it's extremely noticeable, Why isn't this talked about or been brought to main stream attention yet? I googled and a few other people have noticed the same, it's 100% repeatable. Just go into your bios and compare timings and you will instantly feel the difference. Although if i bring TRFC down too much it does the opposite and programs constantly crash and audio goes out on and off with a plethora of other errors and issues.

Any of you experience the same?

Eonds

Re: 5950X Ram Timings Effect mouse responsiveness massively??

Post by Eonds » 07 May 2022, 03:28

ZetaAlo wrote:
07 May 2022, 02:54
I got a new kit of 4000 CL14-15 1.55V Ram and I've been messing around with it. I've repeated testing multiple times to make sure I'm not just imagining things, but when i mess with the TRFC and TFAW and TRC the lower the timings the more responsive and snappy the mouse, like it's extremely noticeable, Why isn't this talked about or been brought to main stream attention yet? I googled and a few other people have noticed the same, it's 100% repeatable. Just go into your bios and compare timings and you will instantly feel the difference. Although if i bring TRFC down too much it does the opposite and programs constantly crash and audio goes out on and off with a plethora of other errors and issues.

I hope you're not running it at 4000MHZ when the FCLK can only really do 1800. (3600 MHZ) In most cases 3600 is the stable limit on AMD. Also it's obvious that RAM timings affect mouse input. This isn't new. I don't think you have any idea what you're doing so please stop messing with DRAM before you completely corrupt your OS (its probably semi corrupted already). DRAM is at least 10% of total system latency at any moment. Your DRAM OC is probably heavily unstable.

ZetaAlo

Post by ZetaAlo » 08 May 2022, 00:47

Eonds wrote:
07 May 2022, 03:28
ZetaAlo wrote:

I hope you're not running it at 4000MHZ when the FCLK can only really do 1800. (3600 MHZ) In most cases 3600 is the stable limit on AMD. Also it's obvious that RAM timings affect mouse input. This isn't new. I don't think you have any idea what you're doing so please stop messing with DRAM before you completely corrupt your OS (its probably semi corrupted already). DRAM is at least 10% of total system latency at any moment. Your DRAM OC is probably heavily unstable.

Ooh the broke crying pseudo intellectual is mad I can afford 4000 CL 14 ram and he can't, so he comes out with hostility and accusations with an extremely condescending tone, offering 0 helpful information, just spite. I know what I'm doing you clown. Lmao. I'm running it at 3733, CL14. I even ran it at 3800 with no errors for hours, but I couldn't get super tight timings. I'm aware of the FLCK limitations if you want a 1:1 ratio. It is of course, dependent on your silicon quality and I got a good one. Also, the ram timings effecting mouse lag isn't well known at all. You're simply mad. Because you're broke? Get your money up. Clown. Respond with actual helpful information next time instead of being mad and spiteful you're using a PC from 2010 and I wouldn't have to roast the fuck out of you like this

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 08 May 2022, 01:38

ZetaAlo wrote:
08 May 2022, 00:47
Eonds wrote:
ZetaAlo wrote:

Ooh the broke crying pseudo intellectual is mad I can afford 4000 CL 14 ram and he can't, so he comes out with hostility and accusations with an extremely condescending tone, offering 0 helpful information, just spite. I know what I'm doing you clown. Lmao. I'm running it at 3733, CL14. I even ran it at 3800 with no errors for hours, but I couldn't get super tight timings. I'm aware of the FLCK limitations if you want a 1:1 ratio. It is of course, dependent on your silicon quality and I got a good one. Also, the ram timings effecting mouse lag isn't well known at all. You're simply mad. Because you're broke? Get your money up. Clown. Respond with actual helpful information next time instead of being mad and spiteful you're using a PC from 2010 and I wouldn't have to roast the fuck out of you like this
What are you talking about? If you don't run a 1:1 FCLK to MCLK ratio you get extreme latency and worse performance. Ram timings are obviously able to impact mouse feeling if you're reducing the latency of the DRAM. It's actually common sense but I know a lot of weird people will deny it even though it doesn't take a genius to draw that conclusion. I'm not broke by the way but that's fine ig. I don't have a PC from 2010 & no ones mad or spiteful. I don't want a back and forth but aren't you the one who bought an AMD CPU and talking about latency..... Anyway I hope I cleared that up. DRAM is at least worth 10% of total system latency. So if you're reducing the latency of the DRAM then................ you're reducing system latency. If you're saying the average person doesn't know then that's fine the average person doesn't know much anyway. If you're saying this as if it was some ground breaking discovery well it's not but good on you for being aware enough to realize it.

ZetaAlo

Post by ZetaAlo » 08 May 2022, 19:40

Eonds wrote:
08 May 2022, 01:38
ZetaAlo wrote:
Eonds wrote:
ZetaAlo wrote:

What are you talking about? If you don't run a 1:1 FCLK to MCLK ratio you get extreme latency and worse performance. Ram timings are obviously able to impact mouse feeling if you're reducing the latency of the DRAM. It's actually common sense but I know a lot of weird people will deny it even though it doesn't take a genius to draw that conclusion. I'm not broke by the way but that's fine ig. I don't have a PC from 2010 & no ones mad or spiteful. I don't want a back and forth but aren't you the one who bought an AMD CPU and talking about latency..... Anyway I hope I cleared that up. DRAM is at least worth 10% of total system latency. So if you're reducing the latency of the DRAM then................ you're reducing system latency. If you're saying the average person doesn't know then that's fine the average person doesn't know much anyway. If you're saying this as if it was some ground breaking discovery well it's not but good on you for being aware enough to realize it.
You were obviously being condescending in your first post. Come on. I'm saying it's a real issue and it's weird that it isn't mainstream. No shit lower latency ran will reduce system latency, especially on Ryzen which uses the infinity fabric to communicate with multiple processes. It's just weird this isn't talked about on YouTube or Techtubers etc. I guarantee if you contacted AMD/INTEL etc they would vehemently deny it being related aswell

ZetaAlo

Post by ZetaAlo » 08 May 2022, 19:43

Eonds wrote:
ZetaAlo wrote:
Eonds wrote:
ZetaAlo wrote:

I'm aware, you thinkk I'd spend money on a 5950X and 4000 CL14 Ram and not be aware of how any of it works? Again my ram is 1866 FCLK/MCLK (1:1)

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 08 May 2022, 20:18

ZetaAlo wrote:
08 May 2022, 19:40
Eonds wrote:
ZetaAlo wrote:
Eonds wrote:

You were obviously being condescending in your first post. Come on. I'm saying it's a real issue and it's weird that it isn't mainstream. No shit lower latency ran will reduce system latency, especially on Ryzen which uses the infinity fabric to communicate with multiple processes. It's just weird this isn't talked about on YouTube or Techtubers etc. I guarantee if you contacted AMD/INTEL etc they would vehemently deny it being related aswell
Anyone who is directly involved with latency related work will confirm it. The topic is magnitudes more complex not only to understand but to explain. That's mostly why. As for the "do you think i'd buy X and X if I didn't know how it works". Yes I think you would & there's a good chance it's unstable & not only unstable but you bought a ryzen cpu anyway so that is a red flag. The red pill is that if you want low latency buy low latency hardware and stop caring about other metrics. If you're playing video games competitively low latency & smoothness is #1 priority nothing else. Buying a sub 5ghz capable cpu was the first mistake. Part 2 of the red pill is that 99.99999% of people have no idea what they're talking about + the only people who would tell you is people who specialize in specific areas who could care less about anything when they make 7+ digit $ a year.

dervu

Post by dervu » 09 May 2022, 04:07

Too bad that guy on YT that did comparison input lag tests on Intel vs AMD did not make mouse movement latency moving from one point to another, so it would be obvious.
For just button click to on screen photon change there is not much difference that would matter for anyone.

However I have to admit that some issues related to consistency of mouse movement and game feel are truly hard to tell by 1000fps recordings while it is obvious to eye straight away.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 09 May 2022, 04:13

Always the same 2 or 3 names involved in uneducated discussions.
Warning after warning.

The more space we give to these users, less good people in this forum.

Chief, quick suggestion: Integrate with Github and show some metrics. Or try to add some follower-like feature (or thumbs up). That way we can differentiate knowledge/helpful people from ignorants and arrogant.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 09 May 2022, 04:27

andrelip wrote:
09 May 2022, 04:13
Always the same 2 or 3 names involved in uneducated discussions.
Warning after warning.

The more space we give to these users, less good people in this forum.

Chief, quick suggestion: Integrate with Github and show some metrics. Or try to add some follower-like feature (or thumbs up). That way we can differentiate knowledge/helpful people from ignorants and arrogant.
I already suggested such a feature along with a dark mode feature. If you have something useful or informative to add please do so. Otherwise I don't think you should be wasting your limited capacity on replying to this section. :D