XL2546 vs. XL2540? Which should I get?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Falkentyne

Re: XL2546 vs. XL2540? Which should I get?

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Sep 2017, 18:22

Yes it is.
The main question I've been wondering very intensely is this.

As you know, the XL2540 supports Freesync (adaptive Sync), but this only works if Blur Reduction is disabled in its service menu. The monitor ships with its blur reduction disabled by default. That's why originally people thought this was a 240hz panel without blur reduction, until someone found the setting in the service menu. Benq nowhere even marketed this monitor as supporting blur reduction.

The XL2546 functions like the XL2735..."DyAc" is Benq blur reduction renamed and marketed, and is set to ON by default. This also means freesync/adaptive sync won't work. The big question I asked is, if you disable DyAc (blur reduction), will freesync work again on AMD cards on the XL2546?

If it does, then will it also work on the XL2735?

BurzumStride

Post by BurzumStride » 08 Sep 2017, 09:59

Hey, great work guys thanks so much for all the information. These forums are my absolute go-to for everything display-related, and I finally got around to making an account! This post may have just saved me a lot of money.

I am in the same boat as the op. However from what I am reading here, I find it hard to justify an extra £100 for the XL2546, solely on an increased strobed brightness and *potentially* improved strobing performance.
Would anyone who has used the XL2540 be able to tell me if the monitor is bright "enough" with the maximum phase/area setting at 240hz?

I'm talking here about daylight blinds-shut/night sessions of BF4 with Nvidia's digital vibrance maxed out (+ any other colour-bleed inducing/non-input-lag causing technologies I'll be able to get my hands on).

Also, am I correct in understanding that the Benq Blur Reduction adds 0 frames of delay at the maximum phase/area setting?
I recall reading Falkentyne's post, stating that the utility-tested "1 frame delay" value was incorrect.
The competitively non-intrusive blur reduction is my main reason for choosing this monitor over the upcoming 240hz ROG Strix (freesync).

//Is this an appropriate way to post, or did I just semi-hijack someone else's thread?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Sep 2017, 23:08

Simple answer: Strobing adds an average of half a refresh cycle input lag (all pixels, averaged).

Long answer: Exact answer is far more complex than that.

For all locations of screen, average lag stays constant, but changing strobe phase will decrease lag for one part of screen and increase for a different part of screen. When we're adjusting strobe crosstalk, there's a band of double-images that moves up/down during strobe phase adjustments. Above the "strobe crosstalk band" has the least lag and below the "strobe crosstalk band" has the most lag. Going from 0 to 100 wraps around so 0 and 100 has identical lag. As the strobe crosstalk band moves up/down, the lag-gradient follows with it.

Remember, that top, center, and bottom have different lag results. All strobe phases (when combined with VSYNC OFF) tends to average out to the same lag. The big question is whether you want the least lag for top edge, for center, or bottom edge. The strobe phase affects that.

Also, the "frames of lag" thinking doesn't take into account of factors like lag gradients (between top/bottom edges of frame slices between tearlines during VSYNC OFF) and scanout lag (where top/center/bottom of screen diverges, more noticeable during VSYNC ON). Consider that strobing is a hidden-scanout-delay-then-sudden-global-visibility, and non-strobing is sequential scanout. There are complex lag interactions between scanout-lag, between the tearslices lag graidents, and between the global strobing.

--> If you want least lag for screen centre, adjust strobe phase until the crosstalk band is right below the screen centre. Lag is lowest immediately above the crosstalk band and lag is highest below the crosstalk band.

The bottom line is: Properly Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively -- where human reaction times for certain game tactics can greatly outweigh strobe lag.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

davidjo

Post by davidjo » 08 Nov 2017, 18:05

what is blur reduction labelled as in the service menu on the xl2540? I cant seem to find 'blur reduction'. also, if i change settings in the service menu, do they save through a power cylce? also, what is the optimal overdrive setting?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Nov 2017, 11:54

The menu item is called "Blur Reduction" in the Service Menu.

See screenshot: https://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/BenQ_XL2540
Service_menu_BenQ-XL2540.png
Service_menu_BenQ-XL2540.png (108.35 KiB) Viewed 11401 times
For easier access without a service menu, Blur Busters Strobe Utility can turn ON/OFF strobing on XL2540 and XL2546 by selecting the checkbox.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Nov 2017, 13:23

Sigh I still want to buy one of these monitors...But you still know full well why I won't buy one, right Chief? :(
I can't even do OCD testing of stuff for you guys anymore since i don't have the hardware....

And I Could use access to that OD Gain option too.....

raphinho

Post by raphinho » 22 Nov 2017, 09:06

Hi guys,

a few days ago i bought a new desktop system (core i7 7700K, 32GB DDR-2400 Corsair, Zotac GTX1080TI AMP Extreme, Asus Maximus Hero IX, Samsung 960EVO). I actually play competetive FPS-Shooter like Overwatch, CS:GO or Quake on a BenQ XL2430T with 144hz.

For me its very important to have a "smooth gameplay" with a lot of FPS. With the new System i have no Problem to get +-300fps with low Settings in Overwatch. Even with ultra settings i have +-250 FPS.
The question is: Can i feel the difference between 144hz and 240 hz ingame? Will i have an advantage ("smooth gameplay), if i upgrade to a 240hz monitor (BenQ XL2540 or XL2546)?

Which one should i go for (XL2540 or XL2546) and why?

Will input lag decrease compared to a 144hz monitor ?
Do i need do turn off the DyAc technology (XL2546) to decrease input lag ?

Would be great to get some feedback.

Greetings

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 22 Nov 2017, 18:38

If you want smooth gameplay you should be getting G-Sync and using that as it will always be smoother then running your game at a higher fps.

It's kind of a trick question asking if you'll be able to feel a difference, idk if you can feel a difference. It has less input latency and looks smoother but only you can answer that.
Which one should i go for (XL2540 or XL2546) and why?, Do i need do turn off the DyAc technology (XL2546) to decrease input lag ?
Well it just depends if you want to use DyAc or not and you're willing to save $50 not using it. Well yea, it has a very tiny amount of input latency but it's pretty much un-noticeable.

If anything you would probably be better off any of the G-Sync 240hz as they are the same price, have ULMB and have G-Sync which will get you your smooth gameplay that you want with no input latency.

raphinho

Post by raphinho » 23 Nov 2017, 02:27

lexlazootin wrote:If you want smooth gameplay you should be getting G-Sync and using that as it will always be smoother then running your game at a higher fps.

It's kind of a trick question asking if you'll be able to feel a difference, idk if you can feel a difference. It has less input latency and looks smoother but only you can answer that.
Which one should i go for (XL2540 or XL2546) and why?, Do i need do turn off the DyAc technology (XL2546) to decrease input lag ?
Well it just depends if you want to use DyAc or not and you're willing to save $50 not using it. Well yea, it has a very tiny amount of input latency but it's pretty much un-noticeable.

If anything you would probably be better off any of the G-Sync 240hz as they are the same price, have ULMB and have G-Sync which will get you your smooth gameplay that you want with no input latency.
I read a lot of posts here and in other forums, but i think G-Sync will not be the best solution for me?
With my highend system i have constant FPS (~300 in Overwatch with low/medium settings).

If i enable G-Sync, it only will be a advantage, if my FPS drops under 240 ?
G-Sync will be good for Games like BF, where the FPS on medium/high settings drop down ?
The question is, if G-Sync will increase the input latency more than the DyAc technology of the XL2546 ?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 23 Nov 2017, 06:12

I read a lot of posts here and in other forums, but i think G-Sync will not be the best solution for me? With my highend system i have constant FPS (~300 in Overwatch with low/medium settings).
That's why you cap your fps below the maximum, like at 230 or like 238. This way G-Sync is always enabled and you get a tear free experience with no added latency.
If i enable G-Sync, it only will be a advantage, if my FPS drops under 240 ? G-Sync will be good for Games like BF, where the FPS on medium/high settings drop down ?
In my opinion, there is no reason not to use G-Sync all the time. :lol:
The question is, if G-Sync will increase the input latency more than the DyAc technology of the XL2546 ?
It would have less latency then DyAc but the latency of DyAc is tiny, your mouse has more latency then DyAc adds.

If you want you can read all about G-Sync and the input latency here:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ettings/3/