V-Sync off or on with frames capped at 190.

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
zorro1rr

V-Sync off or on with frames capped at 190.

Post by zorro1rr » 08 Aug 2020, 12:20

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a XL2546 and was wondering if I should still run V-Sync. Now I know it is recommend normally to cap fps a few frames lower than max Hz, and use g-sync and v-sync.

However, since my main game (Apex) seems to run poorly over 200fps I am going to keep it capped at 190. Since my fps will be so much lower than the 240 Hz my monitor will be running on, would it be beneficial just to turn V-Sync off?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: V-Sync off or on with frames capped at 190.

Post by RealNC » 08 Aug 2020, 14:02

SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: V-Sync off or on with frames capped at 190.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Aug 2020, 13:50

It depends on your goals.

If using G-SYNC Compatible on your XL2546 (There's so many variants of the XL254X series, some of them supports FreeSync/G-SYNC Compatible, while some doesn't), then in-game capping is the best way to smooth your game in a low-latency matter.

VRR makes scrolling really smooth in Apex, which is extremely useful if you like the "TestUFO smooth feel" during RTS panning motions.

Now, if you also use motion blur reduction (DyAc), you want framerate=Hz because you can't use VRR at the same time as strobing. The 182 Hz mode combined with a 182fps cap (or RTSS Scanline Sync, or Low-Lag VSYNC) is a serviceable alternative.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!