Help with tweaking xl2411p! Cant tweak it well, faulty monitor?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Srksi

Help with tweaking xl2411p! Cant tweak it well, faulty monitor?

Post by Srksi » 04 Jun 2022, 16:02

For start, I have extremely sensitive eyes. Every every bit of imperfection and motion blur hurts my eyes!

I had plain xl2411, took me time, but I found optimum for blur reduction, and make it usable. 100hz, ama high, Crosstalk 21, best settings possible, almost perfect

Then I had to buy new monitor since I didnt had dvi port on my new card. Got used Benq xl2411P and my troubles started again...

I set it on my old certified settings and started first game RE Village, and I was crying whole time, something was not right with image, I thought game have some motion blur inside. Then I started godfall, same story. My eyes are bleeding! I got mad and started thoroughly tweaking it again. Nothing was helping until I pulled crosstalk slider to zero. Halleluijah! Perfect image! Then 3rd game came and again same crap. My eyes bleed again. All games were almost at constant 100 fps, and for Agony crosstalk optimum were 6 this time, optimum, but pretty bad still

Now, suffering continues... In UFO test , top and bottom UFOs have more ghosting, and in white line scrolling test, there is gray gradient in top left corner and bottom right corner. Call me crazy, but I dont think I ever saw that on my old benq, image was stable at whole screen, only time where I was this was when I ran ufo test in gaming arcade on some crappy 20e monitor...

I dont know! I simply cant tweak it as my last one. Something is not right! Did I got faulty monitor? Any ideas?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Help with tweaking xl2411p! Cant tweak it well, faulty monitor?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jun 2022, 16:50

Srksi wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 16:02
Now, suffering continues... In UFO test , top and bottom UFOs have more ghosting, and in white line scrolling test, there is gray gradient in top left corner and bottom right corner. Call me crazy, but I dont think I ever saw that on my old benq, image was stable at whole screen, only time where I was this was when I ran ufo test in gaming arcade on some crappy 20e monitor...

I dont know! I simply cant tweak it as my last one. Something is not right! Did I got faulty monitor? Any ideas?
Some games are switching refresh rates when you launch them. Verify the refresh rate is unchanged. The gradient and extra crosstalk usually only occurs at 144Hz, so my suspicion is the game force-switched the refresh rate.

Sometimes you have to delete the 120Hz and 144Hz to fix things (ToastyX CRU allows you to delete refresh rates so they won't be used -- you can use reset-all.exe to restore deleted refresh rates). Or create an odd resolution 1920x1079 with only the strobe-tuned refresh rate you need to use. Configure game to use only that refresh rate to force the game to use the guaranteed strobe-tuned refresh rate you have.

That being said, XL2411P panels are not always as good as XL2411Z panels, and you need to use completely different Strobe Utility settings to get the crosstalk down. Don't forget the Vertical Total tweaks to reduce crosstalk at top/bottom. Large Vertical Totals also reduce strobe lag a bit too (since Quick Frame Transport (QFT) also uses large vertical totals) so you're getting a 2nd bonus.

Also, have you considered purchasing extra refresh rate headroom to reduce crosstalk even more?
240Hz can reduce 100Hz strobe crosstalk more than a 144Hz monitor can -- e.g. www.blurbusters.com/xg2431

P.S. The same HOWTO can be used with BenQ monitors too; although the BenQ version of Strobe Utility does not have an Overdrive Gain adjustment (which would have helped a lot!)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Srksi

Post by Srksi » 07 Jun 2022, 16:20

Tnx for replaying Man! Yea, I was little to hasty, found out about VBI and resolutions in meantime and Im trying to do my homework, although even reading is hell on this demon monitor! Ill write when I learn something more

I dunno, my old non P xl2411 was Ok. Text was bolding when scrolling but readable, crosstalk was fine in like 65-100 fps range, almost perfect at 100fps optimum, stable and predictable. Hell, I checked my old monitor again and there is only ONE line of bad strobed UFOs, and its on very bottom, all that without any resolution tinkerings!

This xl2411P from hell is total MESS! Text is pain in ass to read when scrolling, it becomes one flickery mess of doubled pixels. In game camera is even worse! Twiching, vibrating, tearing edges! Not possible to have more than 1/3 of ufos strobed well no matter what you do! Only way I can enjoy game without headache is to I just run straight without moving camera. Hell, not even animation looks smooth at fixed 100fps!

I dunno, tried 1350 trick and really no benefits except some weird gamma change. Can it be bad panel? Can it be bad cable? Can it be bad video card?!? Ill start to cry...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2022, 01:22

Srksi wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 16:20
Tnx for replaying Man! Yea, I was little to hasty, found out about VBI and resolutions in meantime and Im trying to do my homework, although even reading is hell on this demon monitor! Ill write when I learn something more

I dunno, my old non P xl2411 was Ok. Text was bolding when scrolling but readable, crosstalk was fine in like 65-100 fps range, almost perfect at 100fps optimum, stable and predictable. Hell, I checked my old monitor again and there is only ONE line of bad strobed UFOs, and its on very bottom, all that without any resolution tinkerings!

This xl2411P from hell is total MESS! Text is pain in ass to read when scrolling, it becomes one flickery mess of doubled pixels. In game camera is even worse! Twiching, vibrating, tearing edges! Not possible to have more than 1/3 of ufos strobed well no matter what you do! Only way I can enjoy game without headache is to I just run straight without moving camera. Hell, not even animation looks smooth at fixed 100fps!

I dunno, tried 1350 trick and really no benefits except some weird gamma change. Can it be bad panel? Can it be bad cable? Can it be bad video card?!? Ill start to cry...
That seems to be a really bad panel lottery specimen.
It would not be a bad video card -- but yes, it could be a bad panel.

I've seen much better XL2411Ps. Have you tried returning / exchanging to a new unit?

Have you tried running the monitor 24/7 at 100% brightness for at least a couple days, to see how the quality improves? Very hot warm-up can help speed up the average LCD GtG -- this is the "break in" period.

Also, I am assuming you're running in single monitor (not multimonitor) -- just to confirm you're not getting stutter interference (100fps not looking smooth). Even though it's likely a bad panel (crosstalk-wise), you should still have reasonably smooth motion during framerate=Hz as long as no other monitors are running concurrently. This is the only item that seem strange --
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Srksi

Post by Srksi » 19 Jun 2022, 20:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 01:22
That seems to be a really bad panel lottery specimen.
It would not be a bad video card -- but yes, it could be a bad panel.

I've seen much better XL2411Ps. Have you tried returning / exchanging to a new unit?

Have you tried running the monitor 24/7 at 100% brightness for at least a couple days, to see how the quality improves? Very hot warm-up can help speed up the average LCD GtG -- this is the "break in" period.
Tnx again for advices Man! Sadly, its 5 year old junk, nothing can help it now. I cant even do more testing since lack of adapters and broken DP port on my 1050ti :(

I got more annoyed, started to do scientific research, deducted that my eye strain have some connection with persistence of vision/tracking motion blur/MPRT. Did more testing with scrolling photos, and.... hallelujah! Found sweet spot, suddenly my eye strain gone! Totally! I could actually started to open my eyes again when looking moving camera! FPS 1 AMA High, Strobe crosstalk 21. Identical settings for my old Benq xl2411 The BEST settings possible! Funny thing, I set those first second when I got my new monitor, but didnt saw well, thought they removed FPS modes on p model, and I was trying to do impossible, to set it well on non fps mode.... Seriously, I really thing you should pin those settings for future generations! FPS1 AMA high, strobe 21! Im not even kidding!

Now, even I removed eye strain and dont have suicidal thoughts anymore, that benq still stays crap. I got now like 4-5 poorly strobed ufo area on top, and poorly strobed bar on middle on screen when moving camera, lot of edge tearing, and bad text scroll....
Could something be done with AMD custom resolutions? I tried Large Vertical Totals with CRU, but its painfully slow, risky, and in one moment I was running 6bit palette for 2 weeks since I ruined one resolution. AMD resolutions dont have fixed dot clock sadly, I guess not much more can be done on my monitor, but at least I dont have headache anymore

Srksi

Post by Srksi » 01 Oct 2022, 19:33

Well, F me!
Yesterday I got no signal from my monitor. Switching to HDMi - works. Bad cable?
Got new cable, hooked it and it works. And even better, All that nasty edge tearing I was talking about gone! Yey! Monitor is still crap though, bad strobing, but its way better now without tearing. Who would know that....