Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jul 2014, 10:28

The first link in the OP still works. DNS/browser cache issue?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kamill

Post by kamill » 31 Jul 2014, 10:55

It is not working for me too. But it works with proxy: http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www. ... or-freedom
I used it even to download a patch which is needed to flash (flashrom) - (extended the link).

pipomolo42

Post by pipomolo42 » 31 Jul 2014, 15:50

kamill wrote:It is not working for me too.
Yeah, I had some (silent) issues with the DNSSEC config of my domain. It should now be fixed (or soon, depending on the DNS caches on the way).

lauzmmj

Post by lauzmmj » 31 Jul 2014, 16:52

ericl wrote:The main instruction site doesn't work anymore :\

So basically it's...

1. Get ubuntu live on CD / USB stick
2. Paste in a few commands
3. Profit ?
let me know how it goes xD

kamill

Post by kamill » 01 Aug 2014, 04:53

Read Bishi's instructions on page 5.

kakomanda

Post by kakomanda » 02 Aug 2014, 12:29

hi.. joined the forum to folow this post. i will wait for a windows version too. I have an old Asus 1215N but im afraid that it can not be used to do this. Plus the fear of bricking the display.. =(

And im from brazil and no one have a MSTAR ISP here..

skwarosz

Post by skwarosz » 06 Aug 2014, 12:41

Hi all,
I've just upgraded my BENQ XL2720Z to firmware ver.2.
To all who is scared and they are not linux guys really just follow the instruction at page 5 wrote by @Bishi and everything should go without any problems.
Just not that when You are using this command sudo i2cdump -r 0-127 1 0x50 make sure that there will be written eg. for my BenqXL2720Z, it's really important.
You can use this command several times, I was checking from 4 to 1 to find my monitor.
I've used an old laptop and in my case I had this driver my monitor on slot 2.
On the rest command just change /dev/i2c-1:49 to dev/i2c-2:49.
And one more thing, in my case creating the backup took 8 minutes and about 15 min to flash.

WonderMouse

Post by WonderMouse » 07 Aug 2014, 07:19

A few noob questions about Linux upgrade v2

Postby WonderMouse » less than a minute ago
A few questions about upgrading xl2411z to v2 firmware

First off, I have an amd cpu (fx6300) and an amd gpu (7870) will this be a problem? the gpu does not have VGA, only dvi and hdmi (I'm currently using dvi to vga adapter and then a vga cable from the adapter to my monitor. (I also have a macbook that has intel and nvidia but only mini display port output)

if after all that I can still upgrade, can I install linux onto a usb? (currently have windows 8 installed) is it possible to do it with windows?

Finally is v1 firmware a big deal, I will use the monitor for csgo and work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never used linux before and have no idea what im doing and if I can even upgrade at all. I really would like to order this monitor today but that fact that its most likely going to be v1 scares me, but only if i cant upgrade it.

Thanks

link to my own thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1196

Lied

Post by Lied » 09 Aug 2014, 14:23

hi , i've read the instructions on page 5 bishi's one , i speak english though i'm french despite that i cannot understand every step beside complete noob on linux .

That beeing said is there someone who can resume with more detail how to flash in v2 firmware like for a "child" or a french man who can translate step by step that 'll be greatly appreciated

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2014, 09:42

If you want an easy Windows method, there's always the option of doing DIY Firmware V2 Upgrade For BENQ Z-Series. These instructions are much easier if you are okay with a slightly pricer(but easier) method rather than Linux method.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!