Vertical lines appearing

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
lapods

Vertical lines appearing

Post by lapods » 05 Nov 2022, 10:04

Hello, I have been lurking here for awhile trying to solve a problem, but have been unsuccessful.

I am using the BenQ ZOWIE XL2546K, and the problem I am experiencing occurs in the game apex legends when I move my mouse to look around vertical lines appear. I think from what I read it could be something called inversion artifacts or screen tearing.

V-sync does not sound attractive due to the input lag.

I am disappointed with my purchase of this monitor because of these tears or lines I keep seeing while playing. It has been frustrating not being able to eliminate them.

I would love to have some guidance on my issue. Should I just buy a new monitor or is there a fix?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Vertical lines appearing

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Nov 2022, 01:13

This is a LCD voltage inversion artifact.
See this thread.

It appears as chessboard or lines patterns during scrolling / panning / turning.

It can be fainter or stronger, but often ever-present on very fast TN panels.

No solution to this, except to play the monitor lottery. IPS panels are more immune to this than TN panels, so high-Hz IPS is the way to go if you hate this artifact. So it is often a game of tolerate-the-artifact, try another specimen to see if the artifact is fainter, or switch panel technologies.

If it's blatantly bad, there is a case for RMA. If you can pursuit-photograph or video the inversion artifact (wave your iPhone/Android while recording video, at the same hand movement speed as the lines scrolling) , it can help me determine if it's within normal parameters or is very blatant RMA-worthy.

But since you say you only see it during scrolling, it's probably within normal parameters.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lapods

Post by lapods » 07 Nov 2022, 01:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 01:13
This is a LCD voltage inversion artifact.
See this thread.

It appears as chessboard or lines patterns during scrolling / panning / turning.

It can be fainter or stronger, but often ever-present on very fast TN panels.

No solution to this, except to play the monitor lottery. IPS panels are more immune to this than TN panels, so high-Hz IPS is the way to go if you hate this artifact. So it is often a game of tolerate-the-artifact, try another specimen to see if the artifact is fainter, or switch panel technologies.

If it's blatantly bad, there is a case for RMA. If you can pursuit-photograph or video the inversion artifact (wave your iPhone/Android while recording video, at the same hand movement speed as the lines scrolling) , it can help me determine if it's within normal parameters or is very blatant RMA-worthy.

But since you say you only see it during scrolling, it's probably within normal parameters.
Thank you for your input. Is it possible for you to recommend a monitor with high-hz ips?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Nov 2022, 01:43

You might perhaps want to consider the ViewSonic XG2431 -- a Blur Busters Approved 2.0 model -- www.blurbusters.com/xg2431

That said, there are many other very qualified IPS panels that have zero texturing artifacts from LCD inversion circuitry.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!