Different MSTAR devices?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
StillBlaze

Different MSTAR devices?

Post by StillBlaze » 03 Aug 2014, 06:49

So the original link to the Mstar device is now set as out of stock or discontinued, i did some poking around after waiting a couple weeks and found many other devices that are similar?

So does anyone know alternative on this site that could be used for upgrading benq from v1 to v2 firmware.

http://cart100.com/Search?SearchText=ms ... =0&catId=0

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Different MSTAR devices?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Aug 2014, 12:31

Good question. Let me consult with BENQ and some other parties.

Some of these MSTAR devices are not well supported, so be warned if you want to try being a guinea pig - but we would love to hear from you if your alternate MSTAR worked reliably.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

StillBlaze

Post by StillBlaze » 06 Aug 2014, 07:04

This is the tricky part, there are a dozen devices under 25 dollars which would be cheap enough to guinea pig! The ones closer to 50 dollars though look more like sure things compared to the original device, problem being that the original device link is gone so i have no way to match any of these with that.

All the cheap ones have similar names to this LCD USB LCD programmer programmer programmer or MSTAR LCD LCD flat-panel upgrade tooling.

At this stage im more about having my screen work at the end, even if the tool fails so its a careful decision.

edit: this one says it has been sold 23 times with 120k in stock perhaps we have a winner. http://cart100.com/Product/35281244949/ ... er_progra/

StillBlaze

Post by StillBlaze » 08 Aug 2014, 16:12

Now that the more expensive original MSTAR device is now in stock or the link has been updated, the point still stands would the cheaper one still work? I dont see why not, from the title they are both debugging tools for LCD screens and upgrading.

http://cart100.com/Product/5278188206/L ... ment_tool/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2014, 09:48

I have verified that the cart100 MSTAR ISP is now back in stock.

At this present time, I currently cannot recommend other ISP upgraders other than this one (which also happens to be the same as the one BENQ sent me, to upgrade my review unit). There were reports of "brickings" with certain models of ISPs. I am interested however, in hearing back, of tests with certain ISPs, to see how well they work with the monitor.

However, the new cheaper cart100 unit has not yet been tested with the Z-series. It looks like it could be worth testing this device, considering it costs only $17.60 + shipping -- less than half the price. If you do purchase this unit, please let me know how well it works. I cannot guarantee it will not brick your monitor, however. (The odds are small though as usually it is successfully unbricked by using the correct ISP)

Sincerely,
Mark Rejhon
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!