Stutter question after running utilities

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
samduhman

Stutter question after running utilities

Post by samduhman » 03 Aug 2014, 11:11

Hi all,

I'm a lucky new owner of a 2411z. It was perfect out of the box and for $225 on a deal from tigerdirect I'm pretty happy. I couldn't stand my Qnix 1440p Korean motion blur any longer even though it was overclocked to 96hz I still easily saw it. Unlike some people my eyes are very susceptible to motion blur/ghosting.

I have been playing around with the 2411z using the blur buster utilities for a few days and I just need to make sure I've done it correctly. I also used toastyx 1350 trick utility. So all utilities and blur reduction are active.

So if I read the faq and a few forum threads correctly micro stutter is normal?

I ask because when I run the testufo.com blur buster link the banner near the bottom keeps switching from syncing to valid then to stutter warning and keeps repeating. Im using Firefox.

I also notice the stutter when quickly strafing back and forth in Borderlands 2. So is this normal or are my settings off? Is there a happy medium between the two because I'm not sure I prefer stutter over motion blur?

I'm running an Asus HD7950 with the Benq as my main and the Qnix 2710 as an extended desktop. Disabling the Qnix did not make a difference.

Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Stutter question after running utilities

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Aug 2014, 12:17

Strobing can make motion so clear, that stutters become easier to see. So you need to reduce stutters aggressively if y are sensitive to stutters.

If it is a priority to get blur-free and stutter-free:
Use strobing enabled combined with VSYNC ON, double buffered, framerate matching refreshrate, powerful GPU, reduced detail(if needed), and 1000Hz mouse, if you want simultaneously blurfree AND stutterfree. It may add a bit of lag, but this makes possible blurfree/stutterfree. Try 85fps@85Hz VSYNC ON if you cannot maintain 120fps@120Hz.

The BENQ will strobe at any refresh rate all the way down to 60Hz, so use the lowest refresh rate that you cannot see flicker on. Use FXAA instead of FSAA for faster Performance, reduce certain settings, get a more powerful GPU. By maintaining framerate exactly matching refreshrate via VSYNC ON + powerful GPU + slightly reduced detail -- then by doing all that, stutters disappear in the games that maintains full framerate while keeping motion blur gone (when using strobing). That way, you eliminate stutters AND tearing. Input lag can be a compromise in this situation, however, but VSYNC ON lag can be also reduced a bit by a few extra techniques (render ahead 1 in NVIDIA Control Panel, as well as using an in-game framerate cap such as fps_max 119.8 - something a hair under refesh rate)

Try a Source Engine game (easily runs capped out on current modern GPUs) with VSYNC ON, and make sure your mouse is set to 1000Hz (if it does that well), as 500Hz vs 1000Hz makes a noticeable difference with strobing, where reducing microstutter is a priority.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

samduhman

Post by samduhman » 03 Aug 2014, 15:58

That is very helpful and I'm very appreciative for the in-dept details you provided.

One more think. I notice my blur reduction feature on my monitor keeps setting itself to off. Any idea why? I unplugged it yesterday so I assumed that caused it that time but its also turning off at other intervals for reasons I haven't figured out yet. I'll keep an eye on it to see if there is a pattern..... Ok, I just turned off my monitor and back on and it reset. Is this normal? I have to set it every time I sit down and want to game?

Thanks again!

samduhman

Post by samduhman » 03 Aug 2014, 16:36

Update, I installed a utility called display pilot off of Benqs website. I played around with the controls for a bit and not really sure what I did but it seems to be saving the blur reduction set to "on" now.

Update to my update. ;)

The display pilot caused even more issues. I went through the little wizard and set it up. Once I launched BL2 it disabled my blur reduction on my screen. The option was greyed out totally so I couldn't change it.

I said heck with it and set everything back to default and started fresh with just the blur buster strob utility page. I did it and the 1350T trick. I launched Battlefield 4 and it looks great. From the quick test I did running around if there was any blur/ghosting it wasn't obvious.

So I'll leave it at that for now and do some more research on this page.

8-)