BenQ xl2411z questions :)

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
urut

Re: BenQ xl2411z questions :)

Post by urut » 10 Aug 2014, 11:21

Okey, last question. What is better for gaming performance (i mean fps games)

144hz without vt trick or 120hz with 1350vt or 1502vt ? What is better and why?:P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2014, 14:16

urut wrote:Okey, last question. What is better for gaming performance (i mean fps games)

144hz without vt trick or 120hz with 1350vt or 1502vt ? What is better and why?:P
It is often a motion clarity versus input lag tradeoff.

For less lag / competitive -- Use 144Hz without blur reduction, VSYNC OFF

For improved motion clarity -- Use 120Hz, with blur reduction enabled, plus the VT trick, VSYNC set to preference. To minimize microstutters without excess lag, using uncapped VSYNC OFF framerates look good (e.g. 300fps+), or use in-game framerate capping (e.g. Source Engine fps_max 119).

For 'perfect' motion clarity -- Use framerate matching refresh rate (even if less than 120Hz), blur reduction enabled, VSYNC ON double-buffered (not triple buffered), powerful GPU, reduced game detail. Commonly, 85fps@85Hz strobed (ULMB, BENQ BR), 100fps@100Hz strobed (ULMB, BENQ BR, LightBoost), or 120fps@120Hz strobed (ULMB, BENQ BR, LightBoost, Turbo240).

-- Some people around here are competitive game players who want minimum lag, and prefer to turn off strobing (which adds approximately 3-4ms overall average input lag). On the other hand, the improved motion clarity can improve human reaction times during fast motion where your eyes are forced to track all over the place.
-- Other people around here want the perfect "arcade CRT motion effect" or "Nintendo Super Mario scroller smooth motion effect" (to achieve perfect motion, requires strobed VSYNC ON double-buffered framerate-matching-refreshrate, which requires a powerful GPU and is often difficult in newer game engines). A good high-Hz gaming mouse helps significantly during strobing, if you are the most concerned about the best possible motion clarity. Improved motion clarity of strobing (LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240, BENQ Blur Reduction) can make microstutters easier to see, so you want to keep your microstutters under control to really feel the motion clarity improvements of strobing.
-- Some people like both. Minimum lag during online competitive, better motion clarity during solo play.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

urut

Post by urut » 10 Aug 2014, 14:23

Thanks alot !

But is any diffrence between 1350vt trick and 1502vt trick?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2014, 14:34

urut wrote:Thanks alot !
But is any diffrence between 1350vt trick and 1502vt trick?
The short answer:
Vertical total tricks are used to help the LCD finish refreshing more completely before made visible to human eye (by strobe backlight flash). Thus, less ghosting shows up with larger vertical totals.

The long answer:
The bigger the vertical total, the less strobe crosstalk occurs. Less double-ghosting effect occurs. The bigger the better, but it pushes the dotclock closer to the monitor's limits and colors might degrade slightly while motion clarity improves.

Vertical Total 1350 creates a pause of (1350-1080)/1080th of a refresh inserted between refresh cycle, which is a longer pause between refreshes to let the LCD GtG pixels settle before the backlight flashes again.

You can see a high speed video of a strobe backlight to understand how a LCD refreshes. A strobe backlight is used to reduce motion blur. To do so, the backlight (in LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240 or BENQ Blur Reduction) needs to flash briefly once a refresh, 120 times a second (like a flickering CRT). Shorter flashes, shorter persistence, less motion blur, clearer motion.

However, because of LCD grey-to-grey pixel transitions (as well as ghosting/overdrive/coronas), if you flash the backlight while the LCD pixels aren't finished transitioning, you get strobe crosstalk. So a monitor needs to precisely time the flash of the backlight between refreshes. Usually the pause between refreshes is only about half a millisecond -- that's not enough time to let LCD GtG pixel transitions to finish. Unfortunately, without vertical total tweaks (required for BENQ BR) or special monitor behavior (LightBoost uses partial buffering and accelerated LCD scan-out). So these kinds of Vertical Total tricks is used to create longer blanking intervals between refreshes (If you know of an old analog TV with a rolling picture -- larger Vertical Totals is akin to thickening that black VHOLD bar between frames). This creates a much longer pause - between 2 and 3 milliseconds - between monitor refreshes. This lets monitor LCD pixel transitions finish in total darkness between refreshes, before the backlight is strobed on more fully refreshed frames -- reducing strobe crosstalk, sometimes to nearly zero.

Often, 2 to 3 milliseconds is usually enough to hide the vast majority of ghosting in a 1ms GtG monitor panel. So VT1502 (A 1502-scanline signal for a 1080p refresh cycle) is really good for producing ultra-clear motion without double-image ghosting effects, because 1/3rd of the time is essentially spent waiting between refreshes, since the screen is scanned out in only 1080/1502ths of a 1/120sec, leaving the remainder to wait for the pixels to finish transitioning (GtG, as in grey-to-grey, the pixel change from old color value to new color value). Most 120Hz gaming monitors are rated at 1ms GtG, though real-world is often longer than that.

Modern LCDs now have GtG ratings (1ms) far shorter than an LCD refresh cycle (1/120sec = 8ms). Ever since this happened, it made highly-efficient modern strobe backlights possible.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

urut

Post by urut » 10 Aug 2014, 14:38

Thanks for this answer, you're the boss :) Thanks a lot!

urut

Post by urut » 11 Aug 2014, 20:57

Sorry for spam but i got last question :P

VT TRICKS doesn't work for 144hz, okey.

But when i create 144hz resolution with 1104vt (maximum value, at 1105vt i've got out of range) this can help me? (standard value is 1098)

When i create this, launch game - in my opinion game is little bit clearier:P

That +6 value can do this? Or this is only in my mind and this is placebo effect? :)

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Aug 2014, 21:51

Arent you supposed to use "LCD Reduced" for 144 hz, if making a resolution in CRU? There are usually problems if you use the standard setting at 144 hz.

Using standard timings for 144 hz usually causes problems because the highest "standardized" vesa refresh rate is 120hz.
144hz is often officially unsupported (and in some cases, undocumented; the Benq XL2411T, for instance, can run at 144 hz, but is advertised as 120hz, and it uses the same panel as VG248QE).

Don't use VT tweaks at 144hz. It's not worth it anyway. The monitor is already being driven at its limits (color fidelity is degraded enough as it is).

urut

Post by urut » 12 Aug 2014, 05:38

i creating a custom resolution in nvidia (not in cru), and in VT i type 1104 (maximum value without errors:P) and it works imo (or it is placebo idk)

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 12 Aug 2014, 06:44

You'd be challenged to find a difference there.
The default vertical total at every resolution is 1125.
144 hz uses afaik, different timings (thus the "LCD reduced" required) than 120hz and lower. I also know that the 27" monitors use 2200 horizontal total with 1125 VT and the 24"'s use 2080 with 1125. But you can easily put the 2080/1125 on the 27" with no problem at all (this also lowers the maximum dot clock which lets you use 100 hz and 1502 VT without the pixel clock patcher)