XL2411Z - TF2 questions/settings

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Lucfer

XL2411Z - TF2 questions/settings

Post by Lucfer » 13 Aug 2014, 03:45

Some question about this superb monitor:
-first of all i noticed an horizontal line at the half of the screen during some gameplay at tf2. Upper part of the screen seems to be lighter than the other. Settings are vsync on in ATI control center, 120hz@120fps, MBR on with 0 crosstalk and 2.5/3 persistence. It's normal or a monitor fault? It's the problem related to vsync or too much persistence?
-Second question is: for perfect motion clarity i read that the best way is to activate vsync and having 120fps@120hz. Whats the best way for activate vsync? From ATI cc or from the application? Whats the best value for FPS_max 119,120 or 121?
-third: accidentally touched ama setting when MBR on. The screen begin to produce some artifacts then i switch MBR to off and no more problems. Hope this accident don't hurt some hardware stuff?!

Hope someone can share his knowledge/settings for team fortress 2.

Btw this monitor is awesome, tracking like a boss and get kicked for aimbot worth it.

THX in advance:)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2411Z - TF2 questions/settings

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Aug 2014, 22:35

Lucfer wrote:Some question about this superb monitor:
-first of all i noticed an horizontal line at the half of the screen during some gameplay at tf2. Upper part of the screen seems to be lighter than the other. Settings are vsync on in ATI control center, 120hz@120fps, MBR on with 0 crosstalk and 2.5/3 persistence. It's normal or a monitor fault? It's the problem related to vsync or too much persistence?
Does the line still happen when you turn off BR?
Which Vertical Total are you using?
Can you post a picture of this effect?
Lucfer wrote:-Second question is: for perfect motion clarity i read that the best way is to activate vsync and having 120fps@120hz. Whats the best way for activate vsync? From ATI cc or from the application? Whats the best value for FPS_max 119,120 or 121?
If your play is running capped out at 120fps in TF2 with no frame drops, you may want to use VSYNC ON combined with a fps_max 119 (or fps_max 119.5 or 119.8). You want fps_max to be ever slightly lower than refresh rate, since that greatly reduces the input lag of VSYNC ON during Source Engine games.

That said, if minimum lag is more important than perfect motion clarity, you can try uncapping your framerate and use VSYNC OFF, and use a really high fps_max value such as fps_max 300 or fps_max 500 in order to minimize harmonic microstutters.

Try these:
VSYNC ON combined with fps_max 119.5
VSYNC OFF combined with fps_max 500
And see which 'feels' better for you. If your GPU performance is sufficient, you may actually get VSYNC OFF performance with near-perfect motion if you don't notice the tearing.
Lucfer wrote:-third: accidentally touched ama setting when MBR on. The screen begin to produce some artifacts then i switch MBR to off and no more problems. Hope this accident don't hurt some hardware stuff?!
It doesn't hurt things. Simply toggling Blur Reduction fixes this right up.
Lucfer wrote:Btw this monitor is awesome, tracking like a boss and get kicked for aimbot worth it.
Sounds like blur reduction is really helping your aiming!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Aug 2014, 02:18

-Second question is: for perfect motion clarity i read that the best way is to activate vsync and having 120fps@120hz. Whats the best way for activate vsync? From ATI cc or from the application? Whats the best value for FPS_max 119,120 or 121?
-third: accidentally touched ama setting when MBR on. The screen begin to produce some artifacts then i switch MBR to off and no more problems. Hope this accident don't hurt some hardware stuff?!

Hope someone can share his knowledge/settings for team fortress 2.

Btw this monitor is awesome, tracking like a boss and get kicked for aimbot worth it.

THX in advance:)
As Chief said, don't touch AMA, as BBR has its own AMA built in (unless you want to turn off AMA, which will just give you ghosting instead of inverse ghosting). A similar thing happens if you switch from lightboost mode to BBR instantly; lightboost's AMA is used which creates intense overdrive artifacts, but the artifacts may be different (and in some cases, might be preferred) than changing AMA or using premium

Lucfer

Post by Lucfer » 14 Aug 2014, 06:22

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Does the line still happen when you turn off BR?
Which Vertical Total are you using?
Can you post a picture of this effect?
1.Cant try with BR off (holidays)
2.No VT trick
3.same as 1

THX for the info, hope that line is only a setting problem and not a monitor fault ( yes im paranoid with new hw :p)

Lucfer

Post by Lucfer » 16 Aug 2014, 11:27

Seems to be a tf2 graphic setting. Using 'chris' configs' for maximize fps i get the following:

.using 'max frames' config (all possible settings low) there are 2 horizontal line at the center of the screen during motion (no lines while stationary) (vsync on/off and BR on/off at 120hz and 144hz)
. using other configs (just some graphic setting mid etc...) no more lines

So i think those lines was a graphic setting problem, maybe an AMD driver problem or something like that...