Placebo effrect? BF4 plays well with blur reduction off...

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
vizionblind

Placebo effrect? BF4 plays well with blur reduction off...

Post by vizionblind » 24 Aug 2014, 16:06

I turned it off and things still moved very smoothly AND without blur reduction on, the brightness/colors looked great.

am I nuts?

flood

Re: Placebo effrect? BF4 plays well with blur reduction off.

Post by flood » 24 Aug 2014, 21:04

nope. blur reduction is most beneficial when eye-tracking is involved, which happens less in 3D games because your eyes mostly look towards the center of the screen and tracking objects is often done by moving the mouse rather than moving your eyes.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Aug 2014, 21:16

Blur reduction doesn't work all that well with Battlefield4 -- it's not one of those games that spetacularly benefits.

Blur reduction works best when framerate == refreshrate (e.g. 120fps@120Hz) and you have fast motion, similiar to motion such as www.testufo.com/photo ... It works better in many situations like fast turning/strafing/panning/scrolling/etc where you are tracking your eyes. Some gameplay tactics do not benefit from blur reduction, while others do. That's why blur reduction benefits fast situations (a good example is "Scout" character in Team Fortress 2) -- that situation gets more blur reduction benefits.

Blur reduction benefits is game- and gameplay- dependant, where you're tracking your eyes. (If your eyes are stationary, like staring at only crosshairs as that's the best tatic for certain games, then ou don't see the blur reduction -- example at www.testufo.com/eyetracking ... but if you're needing to track your eyes like fast moving camoflaged enemies in fast-scrolling scenery -- then blur reduction really helps there!)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

vizionblind

Post by vizionblind » 24 Aug 2014, 23:04

thanks for the info!

I am just wondering if not using blur reduction is like not using half the monitors use :)

Also, can you name a few new games for example that would make use of blur reduction so I have a good idea?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Aug 2014, 07:02

vizionblind wrote:Also, can you name a few new games for example that would make use of blur reduction so I have a good idea?
In my experience, racing games (like GRID) and arcade side scrollers (like games in emulators; try Mario or Sonic :D). In FPS games, CS:GO looks good with it, since you always get at least 120FPS with it (with a good CPU) and it's a very fast shooter if you're experienced in it (you constantly flick the mouse to check all corners very fast.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 26 Aug 2014, 11:50

First of all - BF4 really struggles to maintain 120 or 144fps. Suprisingly, I am able to hit 120Hz most of the time at 900p and low settings (texture high or ultra though) on gtx760, but wasn't able to on win 8.1

Secondly - there is a known problem. Go read a thread somewhere here about mouse and 1000Hz update rate for them. STILL there will be a problem (which I REALLY want to see solved) with motion. You would still see more while moving the camera by using a gamepad and its analogue stick. Using a mouse will kill your detail level unfortunately. I have 500Hz mouse. It's really quite a big difference, but you need to look for it to catch it red-handed.

And last thing - gaming TYPE. Your gaming type. I have a huge mouse pad (QCK+), I have a low sensitivity settings for my mouse and I often look around naturally. If you look at most PC players nowadays, they mostly have "broken" steering style due to the fact, we had no proper monitors since a decade - only blurry LCDs with 60Hz.
They move a camera like a chicken moves its head. I feel so bad when I see my friend's recordings from BF4. One of them had 120Hz monitor for over a year. A 1000 hours in BF4 and 500 in BF3.
He...
still moves his camera by using only rapid movements. It's like playing a racer on a keyboard and playing on a analogue stick or a steering wheel.
It's just not normal, not natural. It's the way that is FORCED on us by the flaws of gaming hardware (120Hz strobed should be a widely adopted standard even 15 years ago, and know it should be absolutely dominant. Yet - we have the era of piss-poor displays, cover system mechanics and caps for 30fps even on PC conversions (The Crew doesn't work 100% properly at 60fps, I know, I tried - cars changing a line in 0,001s makes the missions "transport car" frustrating and annoying.)

If you'd like to see the whole "strobe beauty" in FPP games - buy a proper mouse, set it properly, buy a proper mouse pad, and get some game that maintains 120 or 144fps all the time.
Maybe play Serious Sam 2. I don't remember if it's 100% good at motion, but I do know it allows you to achieve a maximum skill level.
- less lag
- no internet lag (local game, not multiplayer)
- no audio lag
- no drops below required refresh rate. It hold 85fps on my CRT when I played it on... GF 7600GT 256MB.
Great game, GREAT fun from aiming. It takes a 5 or 10 hours to get to that skill level, but you'll be surprised what you can do. :)

vizionblind

Post by vizionblind » 28 Aug 2014, 11:29

really having a hard time (even with the tricks) finding the sweet spot for brightness since turning BR on, it dims the monitor. The colors pop with it off but not so much with it on

Also, is BR preferred when playing MMOs?

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 28 Aug 2014, 12:11

Yeah, that cheap TN technology really pisses me off too. It's really annoying to change the settings every couple of map changes, or be forced to play with bad colors. BF4 looks so dull and uninteresting at the settings "ok, I don't want to touch the settings, I want to see everything on every map" - that makes colors washed out.

Low persistence OLEDs needed yesterday.

New Asus ROG 1440p monitor is better than Benq, I wonder by how much. It's still a TN, but not "as cheap as possible", like it is in Benqs.

In the meantime, did anyone ever posted here the settings for service menu? I'm talking about xl2411z for BR mode, of course.
Gain/offset - those things.

There is much room for improvement in my case, but still. Just look at the professional reviews of this model. It's clearly stated - there are places in BF4 and movies, where this monitor simply fails.
This monitor certainly isn't the "good enough" at 2D. We're lucky it's really great in 3D mode, otherwise, many would be disappointed.
BTW. Older racing games in 3D happen to be this graphical style, that this monitor displays surprisingly well even in 2D. I guess it's like this - if the ingame image is a little "washed out", then 24..Z monitors will struggle at some places, but when playing game with really crisp, sharp colors, the image looks good.

As to BR - yes, it is preferred everywhere, every time. Sample and hold display method makes my eyes bleed and fries my brain. ;)