Weird behavior on DVI-D vs DP on XL2720Z

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
djfujiyama

Weird behavior on DVI-D vs DP on XL2720Z

Post by djfujiyama » 03 Oct 2014, 10:52

I'm experiencing weird, weird behavior with my triple monitor setup and google pulled up nothing. Was hoping you guys might be able to help.

When I run the BenQ over DVI (using either included DVI-D cable or my own monoprice one) and put my other 2 dells on the 2 remaining DisplayPorts, my refresh rates for the benq are locked to 60hz in Windows. I tried rebooting, reseating cables, different cables, etc. Nothing seems to work. I'm not plugging into the wrong port because both the monitor AND my GPU only have a single DVI-D port. But I'm stuck at 60hz. However, everything else appears to work fine.

Now when I switch to the BenQ running over DP, all of a sudden the >60hz options appear and I can select 144hz. Doesn't matter what DP cable i'm using, or what DP port i'm using on the GPU, the 144hz option is now all good.

However, there are other issues that crop up as soon as I switch to the BenQ over displayport.

1. The BenQ now refuses to go into windows powersave mode. When windows auto-shuts down the monitors, my dells shutdown correctly, but the BenQ goes into powersave for a few seconds and then seems to wake back up again and refuses to go back into powersave. This did NOT happen when using it with DVI.

2. Perhaps because of the broken powersave issue, my open and maximized windows all get skewed and thrown all over the place once I wake the monitors up again. Every time I come back to the computer, I now have to move all of my windows back to their original spot. Super annoying.

So basically, I'm forced to either deal with constantly skewed windows every time I come back to the computer, or no 144hz support (which negates the whole point of this monitor). I suppose I could disable the windows powersave mode altogether and just let the backlight stay on forever, but I feel like that's not a great compromise for a $500 monitor I plan to use for a while.

Any ideas?

Specs:
Windows 7 x64
Radeon 7950
2x Dell 27" U2711
1x Benq XL2720Z f/w V3